Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Admiral Collingwood.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 4:32 pm
Post subject: Admiral Collingwood.Reply with quote

Today at vicky park whilst helping and preparing banners with the squad for the upcoming season i noticed a framed picture hanging from one of the walls and it was a picture of Admiral Collingwood apparantly through discussion with other people whilst we were looking at this portrait he was mates with another famous bloke who ended up being killed and Admiral Collingwood had to sail the fleet or whatever back home. i am so fascinated by this and apparantly the suberb of collingwood was named after him and well we all know what the city of collingwood ended up being famous for. This is really juicing up my appetite for more knowledge on Admiral Collingwood...WOW what a legend he must be!!
Does anyone know anything about the Admiral ?

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 4:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search through the archives uncovered this snippet Joffa.

"Now, gentlemen, let us do something today which the world may talk of hereafter."

Coach Admiral Collingwood before the Battle of Trafalgar, 21 October 1805, at Optus Oval.

Admiral Collingwood (1748 - 1810)

Admiral Lord Collingwood, a hero to rank with the great Elizabethans and even with Lord Nelson himself in Britain’s naval history.

Collingwood of humble Northumbrian origin rose to the highest rank in the Royal Navy, and won almost every honour which a grateful country could bestow upon him. Cuthbert Collingwood was born in Newcastle on October 24th 1748 into an old Northumbrian family, living in rather reduced circumstances as a result of the Civil war of the 17th century. As a boy, he attended the Royal free Grammar School in Jesmond, Newcastle. At the age of eleven he joined the Royal Navy frigate "Shannon" which was commanded by his maternal cousin, Captain Braithwaite. Collingwood and Nelson rose steadily up through the ranks becoming firm friends and developing a great respect for each other’s abilities fighting in the American War of Independence in the 1770s and then against Napoleon. Home for Collingwood was a pleasant Georgian house in Morpeth, a village thirteen miles north of Newcastle. Peaceful days they were, between the wars which occupied so much of his life, and he spent the time reading history and cultivating his garden on the banks of the River Wansbeck. He would plant acorns at every opportunity wherever they might have a reasonable chance to grow into fine oaks which would provide timber to build ships which the navy needed.

It may well be that many of the majestic oak trees in the pleasant countryside surrounding present day
Morpeth owe their existence to Collingwood’s exhortations to his farmer friends to plant acorns for England’s future.

At the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, Collingwood was in command of the Royal Sovereign, which engaged the enemy fleet for fully an hour before the main body of the British fleet arrived in support. This outstanding deed of daring caused Nelson to remark to Captain Blackett "See how that noble fellow Collingwood takes his ship into action." After Nelson’s death in the heat of battle, Collingwood assumed command of the British fleet, and in utterly routing the enemy force, fully justified Nelson’s glowing tribute. After Trafalgar, many honours were bestowed upon Collingwood. He was given a peerage, and took as his title, Baron Collingwood of Caldburne and Hethpoole in Northumberland. Collingwood died on board the Ville-De-Paris March 7, 1810 and was buried in St. Paul’s Cathedral where a monument to his memory was erected. In Newcastle a cenotaph containing a medallion and inscription was placed in the church of St. Nicholas, and a portrait was hung in the Exchange at Sandhill. It was not until 1845 that a public monument was erected. But the siting of the proposed statue caused a dispute. The citizens of Newcastle did not approve of the riverside site at Tynemouth, and felt that a statue might more worthily have been placed in their city. Collingwood’s birthplace. The considerable proportions of the structure form an impressive sight from the seaward side and, appropriately enough, Lord Collingwood in the regalia of Admiral of the Fleet is looking out to sea in the way he must have done for so much of his life in the Royal Navy. The Collingwood monument is a few hundred yards from the end of Front Street in Tynemouth village. It stands on grassy slopes high above the Tyne. At each side of the wide flight of steps which leads to the terrace are cannons from the "Royal Sovereign". A plaque on the support pillar quotes Nelson’s admiring comment on Collingwood’s action at Trafalgar. This imposing monument is Northumberland’s official tribute to one of her most distinguished sons but, on a more homely level, the name Collingwood is perpetuated by streets and inns in towns and villages.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 11 March 2002).]
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 4:59 pm

Hey Joff,

Wot a message for the boys on one of our banners..

"Now, gentlemen, let us do something today which the world may talk of hereafter."

Thanks for that Mike.... as always brilliant...

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(September.... we WILL be there)
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:38 pm

'WOW' Thanks mike absolutely fantastic,

'LET US DO SOMETHING TODAY WHICH THE WORLD MAY TALK OF HEREAFTER'

I tell ya i get turned on by this stuff, so is it true the suberb of collingwood was named after him?

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:58 pm

I would think so Joffa.

He's the only notable Collingwood from that era and there is no other Collingwood town or city, except one in Canada. There are a few schools and colleges, there's a Collingwood Athletic Club, some streets, rivers etc. (there's a Collingwood River here in Tassie), but nothing that you would name a township after.

They would all, including Collingwood Victoria, have been named for Admiral Collingwood.

SS11 Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 7:06 pm

joffa,

"Collingwood was born in Newcastle..."

HES A FECKIN GEORDIE!!
WHAT A LEGEND!

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 7:29 pm

I knew he was Nelson sidekick, but didn't know he was a Geordie (if such things existed in those days...)next time I play tour guide for my wifes rello's I'll nick into St Pauls and lay a can of VB on the grave!!!!

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 4:46 am

yep, sad to say but he was a geordie; there is a stature of him somewhere on tyneside.

there's quite an exclusive jeweller in london called collingwood, which was also named after the admiral...I think they hold a few royal seals. apparently eddie visited the shop some time ago and gave them a picture (or plaque or something) of the mighty pies, so it might be hanging on their walls as we speak!

"consectatio excellentiae"
paulie 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:59 am

Surely this makes Eddie the modern day Admiral??

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:48 am

We have a pub in Liverpool called 'Collingwood'I believe that it was named after some important person that resided in Liverpool around the 1800 or something.
I shall enquire at the local council and see what they say.

catch you all later

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:26 pm

Just thought i'd let you guys know in case you're interested.

There's currently an old book on ebay:
"The Life of Admiral Lord Collingwood"
by W. Clark Russell
printed in 1895 (i think this is a slightly later edition, the original printed in 1891).
271 pages.

If Admiral Lord Collingwood is where the mighty magpies got their name then i'm sure this would be a fine purchase. The current bid is at US$12.00 (approx $24 Aust dollars??) with 3 days to go for bidding.

the web address is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1523361031

i wouldnt mind purchasing it myself if i had the funds now. Anyway, thought it might be of interest to you.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:43 pm

If anyone is planning to bid on the book, I'd suggest you mention it here so you don't end up bidding against each other.

If we have any philanthropists out there, it would be a nice addition to the Club archives.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:21 pm

Born a geordie and last name collingwood gee some people have it all !! he would never have known that one day his name would mean so much to so many.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 5:59 am

Does that mean you can do a "Collingwood" pub crawl over there in merry England, London Dave?

Last Collingwood pub crawl I went on, was after we beat Freo by over a 100, at Vic Park.

Rule 1. Barrack for Collingwood
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Rule 3. There is no rule 3.

CARN DE PIES!
Greg J
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:46 am

I think Collingwood's catch phrase should be printed on ALL banners from hence forth. Not as the main text each week, but should be included in all future banners as a sort of a logo.

I reckon the club should think of adopting it as a second club motto too.

Admiral Collingwood before the Battle of Trafalgar, 21 October 1805.

Rule 1. Barrack for Collingwood
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Rule 3. There is no rule 3.

CARN DE PIES!
Greg J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: