Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#12 Shannon Cox

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Weed 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i say this every time a thread about Cox comes up but we should be trying to turn him into the next Adam Goodes not the next Clement/Wakelin. He has great skills, vision and can run and carry the ball - not sure about his tank yet.

Joffa i know you have more knowledge of the kid than me but in terms of only being good when things are going well i saw him play the game of his life against Geelong VFL in the finals of 06. He was strong, busted packed took some great marks and was really the only one to show any spirit that day so he can play well whn things are not going right.

I think he has something special and should be given every chance to show it. He really needs to be given a good chance say 5-6 weeks in the seniors with decent game time eg the same as we did for toovey carry Toovey for a period last year.
Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:41 pm

The Weed wrote:
I know i say this every time a thread about Cox comes up but we should be trying to turn him into the next Adam Goodes not the next Clement/Wakelin. He has great skills, vision and can run and carry the ball - not sure about his tank yet.

I think he has something special and should be given every chance to show it. He really needs to be given a good chance say 5-6 weeks in the seniors with decent game time eg the same as we did for toovey carry Toovey for a period last year.

Agreed Weed,

Cox /and others/ are like mailmen to me. Time to start delivering.
Half a dozen games this year could do wonders for him.

I'm not suggesting he transform himself into Morwood or whoever immediately,
but start showing us that he can be such a player.

cheers... Cool
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:08 pm

I think it's a bit premature to say Cox needs to start delivering. He debuted in Round 3 of last season, not even 12 months ago. He really impressed me in that first game, more so than Dick or even Toovey who kicked 4 (which you have to say with hindsight was mostly arse).

I think the Adelaide incident really hurt Shannon. Don't think he'd have lost his spot but for an off-field indiscretion.

Once he gets in the team this year, he'll stay in is my call.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:08 pm

Like the look of this Kid had a great match against the aints from what I recall. But to compare him to Morwood is too early let him play some footy.

www.facebook/the hybernators
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:47 pm

The Weed wrote:

Joffa i know you have more knowledge of the kid than me but in terms of only being good when things are going well i saw him play the game of his life against Geelong VFL in the finals of 06. He was strong, busted packed took some great marks and was really the only one to show any spirit that day so he can play well whn things are not going right.

I think what gets shannon down is he knows he's good enough for seniors, he has to put in the hard yards to maintain that senior spot. I cant see a spot for him up forward as this club is littered with forward line players who will tear up the competition in 08.
I'd like to see Shannon play across half back preferably centre half back , Be a play maker setting up play as he can easily run off his opponent and stream through centre setting up play across half foward. When on song with confidence up and running he can read the play like a ten year veteran.

I know what your saying Weed, what i meant was everything has to be going well for shannon if he rocks up at the ground shitty about something he wont perform, if he rocks up wanting to play the kid will destroy anyone. We gotta remember this will be Shannons fourth year at the club.Its time for the lad to put up hand and say i wanna be a part of something special that is just around the corner for the pies.

Its exciting times at Collingwood in the last few days this board has discussed Dawes up forward and now Cox down back ,this is our future , young up and coming champs who must decide it's now time to perform consistantly.
If Dawes and Cox can do what we've predicted the pies will be just about be unstoppable.
These are great times.

WKB 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:05 pm

i'll think you'll find Goldsack IS shane morwood. Those two players have very similar styles.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:38 am

The Weed wrote:

I agree, he is more useful to us in an Adam Goodes role, and more suited to it i think as i dont think he has the defensive prowess of a Goldsack or Harry. But is probably more skilfull than both. If we can ever get Fraser freed up, we will have two tall, reasonably quick, agile and athletic and skilfull guys roaming around the ground causing headaches for the opposition. You don't want to have too many players whose role is to cause confusion by being unaccountable to an opposition player, but you always want more than one of every type of player you have in case of injury.
daicos35 Leo

Is é an Phríomhroinn linne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:48 am

I'm backing Shannon in for his best season in '08. Got the big #12 on the Christmas jumper. I enjoyed the games he played in '07, didn't get to see Williamstown at all, just followed the weekly spiel on the CFC website. So most of my belief in him is "hope" and comes from what's been written or said on CFC sites.

Always love seeing west aussies do well at Collingwood, Shannon has great skills, with the vacancies through retirements, '08 is the perfect opportunity for him to take over a regular spot. Tough to get a gig with this list, but sounds like he's puting in the work early, go you good thing!!

Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:37 pm

Quote:
We gotta remember this will be Shannons fourth year at the club.Its time for the lad to put up hand and say i wanna be a part of something special that is just around the corner for the pies.

Which is pretty much what I was getting at.
He's in his 4th year now and only played 8 games.
Do we not play him and hope he ''improves'' in the VFL, or say to him 'right mate time to show us you can cut it in the big time'.
I know he's only young but I feel it's a crucial year for him - and a few others.
cheers.. Cool
optimax 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Shannon has fantastic skills, but too many times in the VFL he seem for lack of better words lazy and isinterested. Shannon could be awesome and do some real special stuff but some of the lapses he has in vfl will be killer in afl games.

I really hope he gets passed it as i have high expectations for him but it is a worry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: