Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#31,#26 Ben Johnson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.Barham 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall when Josh Fraser was resigned at the beginning of the season he was
seen as a future leader if not next captain of the CFC.

Still believe this is the case. Confused Confused
woe_is_me Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:02 pm

I think we should get Holeproof as a sponsor. We could use their "computer" socks on our guys, then they will never have to pull them up!! Problem solved. Smile Smile
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:33 pm

R.Barham wrote:
I recall when Josh Fraser was resigned at the beginning of the season he was
seen as a future leader if not next captain of the CFC.

Still believe this is the case. Confused Confused

Would agree entirely R. Barham. Clement could do the job although age is probably aganist him, Rocca is in the same boat albeit a year younger.
A Captain with any longevity would have to be Josh.

Dave86, I can't see Bucks not being the Captain again next year, perhaps the year after.

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:34 pm

I have been on Jonno's captancy bandwagon since about 2003. He has that x-factor which captains posses. He has pace, guts and his skills are on the improve. That tackle laid on Burgoyne in 2002 was a ripper, a defining moment in his career, and one that we remember the season for. He is a Gavin Brown type leader, not one to do all that much talking, but they certainly lead by example.

Go Jonno!
Nicko 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:15 am
Post subject: Ben Johnson - disposal not up to AFL standardReply with quote

Ben Johnson is an honest battler. He puts in every week, you can see there's nothing wrong with his work ethic. That is why some people, including Mick Malthouse, love the guy.

But...

He cannot dispose of the ball. His kicking is a disgrace, and his handballing isn't great either. The amount of times yesterday he was in clear space with time to hit a target, only to turn the ball over, was unbelievable. One kick went out on the full as we were bursting out of defence. On another occasion he kicked it 10 metres over Tarrant's head when Taz was leading well ahead of his man. On a break through the middle, he sprayed a handball to nowhere when we had a 2-on-1 run going forward, again turning it over. It's not just his disposal, his decision making is baffling most of the time.

The most frustrating thing is that yesterday's performance is a weekly occurence for Johnno. His saving tackle against Port Adelaide in the 2002 final saved his career, but he nearly single-handedly lost us that game before the tackle. He's had 4 years since then to improve his disposal but it's as bad as ever.

Every time he gets the ball, Collingwood fans in the stands hold their breath. Myself and nearly every other Pies fan I know think he inflicts more damage on our team than he does on the opposition. Thoughts please...

Last edited by Nicko on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:21 am

Give him a break he's just coming back from injury I do agree that his disposal is suspect. But he will improve you also have remember he is often tired and having to work on new techniques in security in avoiding Johno 26 who is constantly stalking him. To say not up to AFL standard is pretty harsh.

www.facebook/the hybernators
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:45 pm

3rd degree wrote:
Give him a break he's just coming back from injury I do agree that his disposal is suspect. But he will improve you also have remember he is often tired and having to work on new techniques in security in avoiding Johno 26 who is constantly stalking him. To say not up to AFL standard is pretty harsh.

I agree - it's the first game of the pre-season competition. Come back in four weeks.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:48 pm

Have to agree with 3D. Johnson missed much of last year. His disposal was not too bad prior to that (atleast better than when he started his career).
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:50 pm

i'm with you nicko.
He is a key reason behind tarrant's frustration.
He is a mutilator of the sherrin.
Our bad kicks need to be Williamised I'm afraid.

maggies2003 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:20 pm

you could say the same for Dale Thomas, his kicking wasnt up to u14's standard, 1st game back in preaseason though, fair go.. johnno had 24 touches. 5 clangers, thats still 19 effective possessions, more than 90% of the other players..
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:27 pm

Cam wrote:
i'm with you nicko.
He is a key reason behind tarrant's frustration.
He is a mutilator of the sherrin.
Our bad kicks need to be Williamised I'm afraid.

Nasty little man Cam.
bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:35 pm

Jonno was very poor several seasons ago, i believe he has improved on that seasonly. I didn't take much notice of it yesterday, if he was kicking poorly he was one of many. Our dispoal inside 50 is terrible. We can can't expect much from Rocca and Tarrant when that's what they have to recieve.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:08 pm

I'm glad we've persisted with Johnno.
He didn't get much of a run last year but he had a good couple of years prior to that - Remember it wasn't that long ago his name was being bandied about as future captain material?!?!?!?!... i wouldn't necessarily agree with that. However, when he regains match fitness i'd like to think he can get back to some solid form with his disposal & become a consistant contributor!

I remember cringing every time Licca got the ball not so long ago Wink

Although we may get to below AFL standard as a team when you include O'bree, Presti & Jason in that bracket!!
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:10 pm

maggies2003 wrote:
you could say the same for Dale Thomas, his kicking wasnt up to u14's standard, 1st game back in preaseason though, fair go.. johnno had 24 touches. 5 clangers, thats still 19 effective possessions, more than 90% of the other players..

where did you get the clanger stat from? can never seem to find them.
chalky 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:06 pm

Johnno is not the worst. I must admit he has improved his consistency considerably in the past few years and is even in a few highlight reels with some pinpoint passes to Taz at the MCG circa 2002-2003. But then I didn't expect too much from him anyway because of youth. But I do expect more from O'Bree. Not much has changed from last year. I know, I know he gets the ball 30 times and kicks it 25 times a game!! it's just painful to watch what he does with 60% of his kicks. Many of those are on the run with no pressure. I don't think I'm alone here as the people around me were all yelling at him to handball not kick. Look, the guy is a ball magnet. I expected more from a senior player than to "just kick it forward". I can be less demanding on Johnno or young Thomas even Egan but O'B? He has to learn to hurt the opposition with his possessions. Fair dinkem, StK players were letting him run and just dropping back, safe in the knowledge that his final kick rarely makes an impact inside 50.
Harsh? maybe, early in the season? perhaps. Our season really depends on a solid midfield contribution from some and game breakers from others. The frustrating thing is, given the amount of ball he attracts he has the power to be a game breaking, Brownlow vote hunter IF he could deliver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 4 of 30   

Jump to: