Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#31,#26 Ben Johnson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

maggies2003 wrote:
magpie willow id luv to see it happen...johnno as captain in about 5 years...after the likes of burns bux and rocca have retired

I hate to think about the day bucks, burns and rocca retire.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:18 am

How much improved is Johno?

Killed Acnemanis in the last half, kicked a goal and although it was flukey he was going for it. Last year he would turn the ball over under pressure. His one on one work with Rowdy is paying off.

Great run out of defence and I feel is being really underated by many of his preformances this year.

Fantastic to see the #26 playing dominating again. Rowdy would be pleased.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:33 pm

I agree he's hugely underrated Culprit. Certainly one of the best running back pockets going around at the moment and as others have noted, his kicking has improved out of sight. His delivery in that third quarter on Saturday night was fantastic. For him to quieten Akermanis (who had been brilliant early) was no mean feat, but to do it while also becoming arguably our most damaging running player was something else.
Jonesy Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:00 pm

I think way to much focus is placed on his disposal, hes in the team for a purpose and that is to break the lines, run hard and straight at the pill, and link up with those with the so-called "superior" foot skills.

Jason Cloke is in the same boat. May not be technically perfect, but is the best spoiler in the league and saves atleast 5 goals a game through sheer unselfishness and courage.

Its a great comfort to all Pies supporters to know that these two, along with the others that make up the best defence in the league, will rarely be beaten.
Leonin5=star 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:02 pm

hey culprit add rhyce shaw to that list too...rowdys doin a great job with all these players..ive been a fan of his since the beginning..and for a pick in the 70s hes doin great improving each year and works hard..he will step up in the midfield at some stage 2
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:09 pm
Post subject: Ben Johnson pull your socks up!!!Reply with quote

Ive noticed this year that Ben Johnson has moved away from having his socks up to his knees and is now wearing them around his ankles. I dont think it suits him at all and i think he should go back to the pulled up look.

Now in all seroiusness. Last year Ben Johnson made a huge step. He turned himself into a vital part of our team and it might sound stupid but i think he is just as vital to our makeup as Nathan Buckley. Ben Johnson is our pace, our break through the lines players, run off half back. Without him we look very slow. Unfortunately this year, Jonno is having a bad one. Injuries have hampered his season of course because his first 2 rounds were beauties and his game agianst carlton was fantastic as well.

I still think he is carrying injury and does not look fully fit at all but with Rheece Shaw out he is all the pace we have at the moment. His disposal has improved a lot from what it was 2 years ago. He is vital to our makeup.

The reason i post this topic is because an earlier topic from Tess about our top 3 players got me thinking. In 3 years, our top 3 players are still Buckley, burns clement. What has happened to the generation of 'young guns' we recruited. Ben Johnson is one of these young guns and has showed more than anyone else under the age of 25 except Chris Tarrant maybe or Alan Didak on his day.

I see Ben Johnson as a future leader of the club, if not the captain. This is a big chance for him with collingwood now out of the finals race and a bit of pressure off for Ben Johnson to restamp his mark on the club. Buckley may not be captain next year and im sure collingwood will revamp the leadership group and i think jonno should be in it.

Hopefully he gets fully fit again and can find some touch late in the year now. And i hope he pulls those socks up again.

Nath Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:20 pm

he aint fit, he's down on confidence, he was rushed back into the team without touching a football for four weeks in a competitive situation. I tend to agree here DaVe, he just looks flat.

Time for a run on the ball me thinks.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:02 pm

Jonno is injured. He'll be back. IMO he'd be good value as a Fp.
Miz 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:01 pm

Visibly injured.

The title of this thread should really be directed at the club for selecting him.
Go_The_Mighty_Magpies Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:52 pm

I don't think it matters too much whether he has em up or down, as long as he's playing good footy!
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:33 pm

Players playing injured has been the strory of our side this season. Look at Taz who can barely bend down to pick up the footy, or Josh who came back too early just to re-injure himself.
And to hell if I know what is happening with some of our other players such as Richards who has been injured for a week for the past 12 weeks!
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:24 am

Bucks must remain Captain as long as he's playing, the next captain must be a long term captain and must be assured of his place as onfield leader. My vote for next captain goes to Johnno, he's a midfielder, has bundles of talent, and is a hard worker who has hte respect of his teammates. When you have a truly great captain like Bucks, you dont undermine a future captain by giving him the job while the true team leader is still playing. Look at the Dawks, it's so obvious that Crawford is still seen as the leader by the playing group, making vandenberg look like a lame duck. No one else at Collingwood can be seen as leader while the great man is still playing.

Johnno needs to put in a couple of really good seasons and then take over as captain,but not when he has games like the last two. I'm not picking on him, he's been rushed back from injury and will be back to his best soon enough, but he still has a little bit to show to take over as captain. He just needs a touch more of Buckley's hardness and calmness in a crisis. (but then so do twenty five others!)

He'll get there.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Miz 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:42 am

35forever wrote:
My vote for next captain goes to Johnno, he's a midfielder, has bundles of talent, and is a hard worker who has hte respect of his teammates

I am about 90% sure your pick will get the nod.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:14 am

Johnno will be back - he's alright!!

I don't see him as captain material at the moment to be quite honest. He doesn't really look like a 'leader' - more like a loyal soldier!!

Hope he puts it together soon & gets over whatever the 'niggle' is cause the footy is always better with johnno in action!!
The Phantom 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:29 am

Agree, he's carrying an injury & once over it will be fine & possibly elite in 2006.

Leads by example, but aint got the media savy to be leader of Collingwood.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 3 of 30   

Jump to: