Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#31,#26 Ben Johnson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yum Yum - mighty nice. Can I have seconds?
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:52 pm

8 clangers according to the herald sun. It seems if you kick to a contest, or the ball bounces before reaching the target, the herald sub gives you a clanger.
Cakewalk 

For a minute there I lost myself , I lost myself

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:05 pm

Johnson is real effective when he's on , not only does he kick long and to advantage but he also opens up space around him to use by baulking a couple of opponents.
Unfortunately he lets himself down when he tries to be too cute on occasions.

Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:29 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:
8 clangers according to the herald sun. It seems if you kick to a contest, or the ball bounces before reaching the target, the herald sub gives you a clanger.

as i said in the Pendles thread, Champion Data include so much in that Clanger stat that its not about it being a lie, as much as it is about being meaningless as far as any specific criticism goes.

come on...if a free kick, a 50, running over the ball etc are all considered clangers...how can that be used to say he is a shit kick with any reliability?

Hell, it was at the Telstra Dome, with all the slipping and sliding that goes on on that cheap rug of a surface down there, i wouldnt be surprised if a couple of the 8 wernt from that.
jabso#5 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:40 pm

There should be more statistical analysis in the paper.
Divide disposals into clangers, effective, ineffective (which would include clanger disposals).
Champion Data does have effective kicks and out of Johnnos 27 kicks 21 were effective (the best on the ground). I think he onyl had 2 or 3 clangers.
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:53 pm

Yer...its easy to criticise players like obree and johnson for clangers...but when you are consistently getting 20+ touches, you are bound to make 5 or so errors. You cant be precise all the time.

THeir kicking is not up to standard agree, but it has never been johnson's strength. Just look at the run he provides out of defence. He is fantastic at breaking tackles, he runs the lines, carries and usually pumps it long. Johnson is more effective with Tarrant leading to the wings. This way it allows him to boot it long to a good option. When Tarrant stays at home, JOhnson lacks a target and kicks to a small.

Our team does not have the class, but if they gel, they are a really good 'team'. Johnson was a vital part of the team in 03 in particular. We miss him because he has genuine pace.

Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:07 pm

Zakal wrote:
Lone Ranger wrote:

as i said in the Pendles thread, Champion Data include so much in that Clanger stat that its not about it being a lie, as much as it is about being meaningless as far as any specific criticism goes.

come on...if a free kick, a 50, running over the ball etc are all considered clangers...how can that be used to say he is a shit kick with any reliability?

Hell, it was at the Telstra Dome, with all the slipping and sliding that goes on on that cheap rug of a surface down there, i wouldnt be surprised if a couple of the 8 wernt from that.

Just went a read that thread Zakal ... that definition of a clanger is absolutely ridiculous. I remeber thinking last week that there was absolutely no way Johnno had 8 disposals that completely missed the target. Now we know that the clanger stat is complete crap.
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:16 pm

Just looking at the stats for round 1 ... Johnno had a free against and gave away a 50. Lets say he slipped a couple of times. That means the 8 "clangers" suddenly become 4 poor kicks. That means 16 of the 20 kicks were OK ... 80% aint too bad.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:35 pm

Just wanted to revive this topic and reiterate my belief that Johnno's disposal, as with many other players, is on some occasions a casualty of low confidence, and on others a casualty of poor team play which puts every player under undue disposal pressure (e.g. '04 and '05).

His running and passing was a treat to watch this week, and in the last two games he has become a potent attacking weapon of the kind we always drool after at other more fancied clubs.

The real test, however, is when we're under serious pressure - a game like Anzac Day perhaps...
DB 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:42 pm

It's so frustrating hearing moronic views about Ben Johnson. The guy is an absolute gun. His run out of the backline is sensational and he very rarely, misses a target. Our whole game plan revolves around him dashing through the mid-field and finding forwards by foot.

Save the negative pap for the likes of LSD. (GOD I MISS FTO!)
blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:48 pm

BJ is showing us just how much he was missed last year. His run and delivery into the F50 has been sensational the last few weeks. People forget how good his 04 season was. Along with Fraser, Rocca, ........etc he is a big reason why this year we look so much better.
maggies2003 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:53 am

Alot of people bagging johnno are looking pretty stupid now, see where bagging a player after 1 round into a season gets ya. lol... Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:28 am

Pass another slice of that humble pie thanks. Embarassed

I maintain his action is flawed but you can't argue with his recent results. I for one hope he keeps it going.

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:55 pm

LOL.

Bag your own players =

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:09 pm

Quote:
That means the 8 "clangers" suddenly become 4 poor kicks. That means 16 of the 20 kicks were OK ... 80% aint too bad.

Exactly.

From AFL PROSPECTUS 2006:

AFL Prospectus wrote:
He's continued to improve the amount of ball won which has seen his short kicking numbers increase in recent times. Over his six seasons, Johnson has won 32% of his possessions uncontested; therefore, his quality of kicking is important. Like many of his teammates, the quality of his disposals, especially his kicking, has dropped over the past two seasons.

But taking a look at the stats...

Johnson's kicking efficiancy peaked in 2002, reaching 81.2% - placing him in the very good catagory. He was going at 97.6% a year later, but tapered off to 73.9% last year. He is not alone.

Still highly effective - led the club/was top five in 2002 and 2003.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 9 of 30   

Jump to: