Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Matthew Cambell- A disgrace

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:52 am
Post subject: Matthew Cambell- A disgraceReply with quote

As Wakelin was lying motionless on the ground and about to be stretchered off because of Lockett, Matthew Cambell then said "Oh this is fantastic stuff! Just what Australia wanted to see!"

F*cking idiot.

"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I tried to email Foxtel to complain, but I couldn't find the address. Anyone have any idea?, then maybe we can bombard them with our disgust and displeasure.

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:27 pm

"Just what Australia wanted to see" ...

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ?

Did he really say that?

If that's what Australia really wants to see ... i.e. a Collingwood player butchered by a hitman ... then it's time Collingwood declared itself a separate nation. And I'll volunteer to fly the first plane into Centrepoint Tower.

BASTARD
MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:09 pm

I didn't hear it but it sounds a pretty irresponsible thing to say. By and large he is probably correct in 2 respects. People want to see be physical and also to see Collingwood suffer.

People hate us and want us to fail. That's they way I like it.

[This message has been edited by MarkT (edited 18 February 2002).]
ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:38 pm

Alf shared:

quote:
And I'll volunteer to fly the first plane into Centrepoint Tower.

Alf, would you please be so kind to settle down a little. I didn't not find that comment amusing at all. You have touched a sensitive nerve with me on that point as I have an army buddy (whom I trained with back in my army days) on the ground in Afghanistan b/c some bastards volunteered to fly planes into the WTC and Pentagon.

Collingwood a separate nation, I'd like to see that. We already have the best President for the job too!

Carol

May the Wings of the Magpie touch every corner of the Nation!
Bones 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:51 pm

Yeah Alf, that was prety tasteless. Where's the moderator?

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 7:10 pm

tasteless perhaps....but Alf is very passionate, perhaps he can, if he so desires, rephrase it.

[This message has been edited by London Dave (edited 19 February 2002).]
Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:01 am

Tasteless perhaps. But not a personal insult or any thing that could reflect badly on CFC.
An opimion reinforced by satire. Don't touch it Alf.

-Craig

We Are Collingwood and you're NOT!!

[This message has been edited by Black_White (edited 19 February 2002).]

The Zapper 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 8:10 am

The commentary on Sunday was so Sydneycentric it made me choke. To have so called commentators laughing at Wakes being potentially crippled is a disgrace. To then have Schwass saying there was nothing in it showed what a complete idiot he is...

The constant reference to Sydney players as "...our players our forwards etc..." was inexcuseable especially as there was only a Sydney player on the commentary team. If they are going to have players commenting on their teams then get one from each team...in the end it was all about Sydney and would have been regardless of the result..

Matthew Campbell showed us why he was sacked from Channel 7 while Jason Bennett needs to learn something about being unbiased. He was swept into Sydney mania the longer the game went on...

Just as a final point Dr Alf, you are much better than that.. Many people were touched by what happened last year, the last thing they need is read infantile remarks like that....

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 11:58 am

I am with you Alf.

Greg J
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 12:28 pm

Carol, very well put. Dr Alf's comments were in poor taste. Collingwood is everything but some subjects are inviolate and should not be used for emphasis, propaganda, or dubious analogical purposes.

ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:03 pm

The way I see it is that if Collingwood FC had anything to do with flying aeroplanes into buildings killing innocent civilians just to make a point I would want nothing to do with Collingwood FC.

I honestly am having difficulty believing that Alf meant what he wrote as it seemed so out of his character (as much as I have seen of his work on the net.)

Although there were cries from others to edit the comment out I would just like to clarify that at no point did I ask Alf to edit out what he had written, just for him to settle down. (As I honestly think he just found himself caught up in the passion of the moment. Alf feel free to correct me on any of this. It is very easy to hit that "submit reply" button not taking notice of what you have written.)

Carol

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 1:36 pm

No apology from me whatsoever.

People often use the imagery of war and/or violence when talking about football. If I said something like "I think Collingwood are going to blitz Hawthorn this week" would anyone be grizzling, even though the term "blitz" refers to the bombing of London in WW2, a tragedy that made Sept 11 look like a Sunday School picnic.

The flying of planes into buildings is a fact of modern warfare. It was happening in the middle east and elsewhere long before Sept 11. If I had made that statement 12 months ago nobody would have even commented on it, even though suicide bombing was taking people's lives on a regular basis.

The only reason people find my comment offensive is because of what happened in America on Sept 11 and all the publicity those events received.

Am I right?

Nobody cares about what happened in London in WW2. I can say the word "blitz" to my heart's content and no one will be offended by that. And if Sept 11 hadn't happened I could have made jokes about suicide bombing and no one would have cared.

Am I right? ... Be honest now ... AM I RIGHT?

So, ask yourself this. What makes Sept 11 so much MORE tragic than any other human tragedy that it is "untouchable" as an object of satire?

Why do some people think that Sept 11 is the worst thing that has ever happened to the human race?

It's not, you know. It's just ONE violent episode in humanity's long history of violence.

No apology.

None whatsoever.

My only concession to public opinion on this site is that I won't use that sort of imagery here again. I make this concession for the sake of this site and not for ANY OTHER REASON.

So ... no more Sept 11 "jokes" from me. I promise.

But I repeat ... NO APOLOGY.

P.S. Just to illustrate my point a bit further, I'll take London Dave's advice and rephrase my original statement.

O.K. ... Here goes.

If Australia wants to see Collingwood players flattened by thugs like Lockett, then Collingwood should declared itself a separate nation, and declare war on Australia. And I'll fire the first shot.

Didn't quite have the same impact.

The point is, if I'd written that, I doubt if anyone would have got too upset at it. They would have just seen it for the throwaway line that it was and moved on. Even though many, many more people have died from gunfire over the course of human history than suicide bombing.

Perspective, please.

... and just in case anyone's got some weird idea of what I'm about ... I've got no desire whatever to inflict any suffering on anybody of any nationality, either by gunfire, suicide bombing or even slapping them with a tram ticket. It really was just a throwaway line ... so let's throw it away and move on.

[This message has been edited by Dr Alf Andrews (edited 20 February 2002).]
ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:05 pm

quote:
And if Sept 11 hadn't happened I could have made jokes about suicide bombing and no one would have cared.

Am I right? ... Be honest now ... AM I RIGHT?

Didn't your debating lecturers teach you not to ask a question when you don't know the answer Alf??

My Uncle died in Israel on 5 December 2000 to a suicide bomber. The bomber wrapped explosives around his body and walked into the cafe where my uncle and a number of other innocent people were having breakfast.

So no I don't find any joke about suicide bombing funny.

During the Gulf War - we (the allies) went out of our way to avoid collateral damage (to the Iraqis) to the point that we were risking allied soldiers/ sailors/ airmen/ marines lives in hope that the innocent civilians wouldn't be killed. Sept 11 was just seen to allied Commanders as the middle easts token of "thanks."

War is hell and it is only getting worse. Especially so for civilians. During WWI most casualties (around 8,000,000) were military personnel. Come WWII, of the 50,000,000 casualties a hell of a lot of them were civilians. (Don't have exact numbers of civilian casualties on me.)

Having been a soldier I was totally prepared to accept the fact that I may lose my life during an operation (be it a peace keeping operation or active duty). (I considered it the down side of my job description.) I was not and will not ever prepared to accept that innocent people working in a building, sitting in a cinema, eating in a pizza bar are a legitimate target for bombers (or any other form of military attack be it a blitzkreig, panzer movement, artillary attack, chemical warfare, or a snipers deadly shot), perhaps that is b/c I was taught to respect and follow the Geneva convention or maybe something else.

This is the last I have to say on this topic. Which has become very off the topic of Andrew Campbell.

Carol

Black_White 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:00 pm

Way off topic, agreed.
The simple fact here is that all people are entitled to express their opinion. Thats what this boards for.
I would like to say that the opinions expressed in this thread have just made me realise how lucky we are to live in this wonderful country called Australia. We walk throughout our wide brown land with barely a thought for our personal safety, not so in other parts of the world.
I believe that football is the ultimate expression of our freedom in this place. After all, how many places in the world can you rock up to a venue, take a seat next to an opposition supporter, yet still walk away without fear of personal attack?

I am very thankful to be born here and even more thankful that our immigration polocies allowed me to meet my beautiful wife. (even if she is a misguided hawksfan!)

Now, let's get back on topic!

Cheers,
-Craig

We Are Collingwood and you're NOT!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: