Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nick's Collingwood Page - The Future

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 1:59 pm
Post subject: Nick's Collingwood Page - The FutureReply with quote

For the benefit of those of you who haven't visited the Bulletin Board recently and so that we all understand the current situation and the direction that we are trying to move in, I'll summarise the events of the last couple of weeks.

26/1/02 - I posted a notice to the effect that I had decided to close Nick's Collingwood Page for personal reasons. This was the second time in 18 months that had I made this decision and for the second time in 18 months the response overwhelmed me and made me re-think.

30/1/02 - My decision to close the site was made in an effort to free me from the site so that I had time and energy to spend with my family whenever the need arose without having to worry about what was happening here. I decided that I should be able to obtain the freedom I needed without closing the Bulletin Board by handing it over to its users, so that they became responsible for its administration and moderation - the remainder of Nick's site would close as planned. Once I put the idea of ' by the fans for the fans ' in writing it seemed such a logical evolution that I couldn't understand why we hadn't done it years ago. I called for people who were interested in being involved in moderation and/or administration to post their interest in the new Moderators' forum. That thread is still open for expressions of interest.

Now (8/2/02) - We have had a good initial response to the call for moderators/administrators and it could be reasonably expected that further interest will be shown as people drift back as the season draws closer. The Bulletin Board now looks secure. My announcement to close it will have damaged the board because people, either in an attempt to find a new home or because they were pissed-off by my hysterics will have gone looking for a new forum. Collingwood is well served by quality forums so many will have found a new home, but many have stayed and a lot of people forum-hop so we should survive in the interim. Whether we survive in the long term will depend on how relevant the Bulletin Board is in its new form. The only way to find that out is to go forward and see what happens.

I will ask all potential moderators to attend an online meeting next week. I'll start a thread in the Moderators' forum so that we can decide on a date. I will also try to write out and post, in the Moderators' forum, my principles of moderation. They won't be rules, you will decide what the rules are to be, but I do have a bit of experience and you might find it helpful.

I'm still taking a leading role, but that is only because somebody has to do it in the interim, I expect that to change once we get established in the new format. I will continue to host the site and will always be available for tech support and for consultation and assistance if anyone wants it. The freedom to plan my week without having to worry about the site is enough for both Deb and me, so please don't treat me with kid gloves. If you need anything at all, just yell out - and if I don't respond - yell again.

I have had emails of support over this period from many people. I apologise for the fact that none of these have been answered yet, but I promise to respond to all of them as soon as I can give them the attention they deserve. Some of those emails and some posts on the Bulletin Board have expressed concern about the scoreboard and the databases - and people have volunteered to keep those features running. If those features are important and there are people that want to take them over then I am prepared to leave them in place.

One of the pressures that brought me to the point of closing the site was the fact that I was having trouble keeping it updated. It's not only the dynamic sections of the site (bulletin board, scoreboard, guest book, databases) that need attention, the whole site needs redesigning. The current design is now 4 years old and is severely dated and the last thing I wanted was for the site to develop the neglected appearance that you often see on the web.

Another decision - the last I hope - I am going to accept the fact that although I don't have the resources to redesign the site, I need it to carry the features that its users want to retain so I'll freeze it as it is. The dynamic areas of the site are its heart and soul and will continue to be. Hopefully I will be able to take up offers to keep the scoreboard running and I will keep the scores databases updated. Other sections of the site that will date if not maintained will be sacrificed. For instance, the team area, which is duplicated on many other sites, will be dropped, and with that will go the fan mail facility.

If you want the latest in fashion, this site won't be for you, but it won't be the look of the site that makes it work, it will be the people who use it. It will be functional, relatively fast and as relevant as you can make it. Its main asset will be that it is controlled not by an individual or a small group of individuals, but by the supporters as a whole. I know I keep harping on this concept, but it really will be the way of the future.

I'll nail this thread to the top of the General Discussion forum for a couple of weeks to make sure everyone gets a chance to see it and comment.

Comments? Questions?

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 8:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Got your message Mike and I will be waiting for any further info.
Why redesign the BB if it it working so well???? "WHY CHANGE SOMETHING IF THE ORIGINAL IS WORKING OK"
The only thing that should be changed is the Fed.Government,but we are stuck with them.
We dont need to change the BB,just keep the moderators going and keep the board updated.
Most of us are aware how the BB works,and are happy with that,so why change it.
Doas everyone else agree with that?????

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:05 pm

Fashion be damned ... Content over appearance, every time.

Yes, I'm back ... after my "farewell" post last weekend, I'm back on Nick's for another season. After some haggling with Mike I have agreed to a pay cut that should just about get us under the salary cap.

And I'm keen to take on a role as a moderator, if you all think I can be trusted to exercise fair judgement.

I'm a cruel man ... but fair.

floreat pica
My Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" is now available for viewing and/or downloading at http://alf.magpies.net
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 6:31 pm

Comrade Alf

im a left winger buddy so dont delete my stuff ok as i frequent trades hall quite a bit these days!!!ve have vays and meenz...LOL

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !

pants42 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 8:31 pm

It"s Time, Dr Alf,Get in there Alf you have my vote also comrade.

Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 4:01 pm

Clemo reporting for duty...Sir

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:50 pm

Mike m8, I feel I owe you guys some help! I am willing to do any web redsign,updating or any artwork for your site, your call.
I am currently helping out with the rebuild of the northern army's site wich should be released soon and am willing to help out on any Collingwood fansites if anyone is after some help.
just drop me a e-mail via my website:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~magpiemad/

Magpiemad

Collingwood for EVER!!

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:35 am

Thanks magpiemad, I'll probably take you up on that.

ps. - nice work, I look forward to seeing the new Northern Army site.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: