Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

3 dead in burnley tunnel fire

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:09 pm
Post subject: 3 dead in burnley tunnel fireReply with quote

www.theage.com.au

www.heraldsun.com.au

www.news.com.au

Quote:
Three killed in city tunnel fireBy staff writers
March 23, 2007 11:40am
THREE people are dead after a crash led to an explosion and fire in Melbourne's busy cross-city Burnley Tunnel this morning.

fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What a very sad day today.
magpiesgirl Aries

Crazy About Daisy!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:37 pm

Unfortunitly,I've been waiting for something like this to happen since the tunnel opened.It was an accident waiting to happen in there.

“I can honestly say there will never be another Strauchanie and the boys at the club can’t help but be thankful for that” -Nathan Buckley
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:28 pm

it took me years to be able to drive through that tunnel, for that very reason, and years still until i actually got an etag.

Guess i'll go back to the olden days again

member34258 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:02 pm

Wonder how long before they pull the speed limit down to 20kph?
magpiesgirl Aries

Crazy About Daisy!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:00 am

Tess wrote:
magpiesgirl wrote:
Unfortunitly,I've been waiting for something like this to happen since the tunnel opened.It was an accident waiting to happen in there.

Thats a sweeping statement.

Being a major Rd means an accident is highly likely to happen, just as it will on the new section of the Hume Freeway. Being a tunnel gave it no extra chance of having an accident, just being a major Rd ups the odds.

I relise that but there is a high volume of trucks that use the tunnel and alot that are close to the limit of being too high or heavy to be acceptable under there.

Alot of trucks on the roads these days are unroadworthy,often due to the fault of the company that owns the truck/s,and turning a blind eye to regular and correct maintmence.

I know that this is not the case with all companys and personal owner/ drivers before people start attacking me,but it is a problem within the industry,and when it begins to impeach on public safety,it is something that needs to come to the forefront and needs to be adressed not only for public safety,but for the safety of truckies across the industry.

“I can honestly say there will never be another Strauchanie and the boys at the club can’t help but be thankful for that” -Nathan Buckley
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:19 am

member34258 wrote:
Wonder how long before they pull the speed limit down to 20kph?

That would cause more problems. Some people just dont understand you just can't pull up a truck when slamming on the brakes like you can a car. After years of driving horse floats and trucks, I am still astounded at the ignorance some car drivers show to trucks.

I might be able to pull out all of a sudden in front of a car, albeit tightly and not be hit because the car can pull up. But a truck can not just pull up. The weight behind one of those things is enormous, as with towing a horse, you can't put them through the front window.

I know some truck drivers are bad, as with car drivers. But it would be a good thing for all car drivers to learn more about what goes on in these heavy vehicles.

What happened in the tunnel was tragic, I feel for all their families. Until it all comes out, hope no one blames the trucks.

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:03 pm

To look for positives out of this tragic accident would be the wonderful effort by our emergency service networks who were on the scene within minutes...full marks to citylink for the way they handled the whole thing
member34258 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:46 pm

Madness, I totally agree with you on the braking requirements of trucks. In my youth i had the experience of occasionally driving a mere 15 tonnes of flatbed truck through Melbourne. How many times on the Tulla did I back off the car in front of me to allow a safe emergency braking distance only to have that gap filled by a car. Very frustrating.
I advocate mandatory 1 day of truck driving for all license applicants. We may get a safer future.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:36 pm

member34258 wrote:
Madness, I totally agree with you on the braking requirements of trucks. In my youth i had the experience of occasionally driving a mere 15 tonnes of flatbed truck through Melbourne. How many times on the Tulla did I back off the car in front of me to allow a safe emergency braking distance only to have that gap filled by a car. Very frustrating.
I advocate mandatory 1 day of truck driving for all license applicants. We may get a safer future.

Very unusual for a truck driver, they usually prefer to almost be touching the bumper of the car in front Rolling Eyes
leelee Scorpio

Live. Love. Race.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:34 pm

my dad used to load the b doubles n semi's down at BHP, and as a result knows alot of truckies, as do i... And i've travelled many a time with them on their trips, even went to my formal in a Kenworth Very Happy
But what still gets me is the stupidity of peopole who pull out in front of them... they must be plain stupid! i have the same issue when pulling our camper trailer, yeah its only 2 tones, but geez that 2 tones of EXTRA weight i am carrying! (idiots... i could go on about this all day... but i won't!)

It was good to see that all the emergancy sprinklers etc in the tunnel worked GREAT... at least we now know that if something goes wrong in there, emergancy services will be there within minutes...

R.I.P those who died

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:37 pm

Tell me more about your father.
leelee Scorpio

Live. Love. Race.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:14 pm

yes very small world!
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:29 am

It appears it WAS the driver's fault, not the Company's fault

1. He answered the phone. Against the law for a start (but we've all done it). I personally only recently got a blue tooth hands free kit after more than 10 years of having a phone.

2. From all reports I've seen/heard he was going too fast.

3. He wasn't concentrating and therefore did not see that the speedlimit was lowered.

You can't blame the company for any of those. If they'd put a blue tooth hands free kit, would his attention have been any different and would it have ensured he'd slowed down? I know my attention is still deflected when my phone rings, as i still have to press buttons to answer it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: