Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abortion..For and Against ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

as i said earlier...... this is a contentious and emotive subject and one does wonder why the subject was started, particularly if your unable to have an opinion.
magpiesgirl Aries

Crazy About Daisy!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:36 pm

The problem with a debate like this is that people that have been personally affected or involved in abortion are too personally connected to it to be able to give an opinion that isnt personal and emotional without incriminating themselves and leaving themselves open for ridicule or prejeduce.

“I can honestly say there will never be another Strauchanie and the boys at the club can’t help but be thankful for that” -Nathan Buckley
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:25 pm

magpiesgirl wrote:
The problem with a debate like this is that people that have been personally affected or involved in abortion are too personally connected to it to be able to give an opinion that isnt personal and emotional without incriminating themselves and leaving themselves open for ridicule or prejeduce.

The above was exactly my point, and yet Joffa wants to impose on that personal side of things and ask who has personally been affected by it. Be it themselves, or family and friends.

He just doesn't get it.

lambs brains for tea Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:50 pm

As a male I strongly believe it is not up to us one way or another.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:57 pm

I believe that it all comes down to when you actually believe that a life begins and that decision will be very different depending on how you were raised, religious influences your life experiences and the values you have at that particular point in your life

All will come into play when such a decision needs to be made but regardless of our so called liberated society there remains a stigma attached to making such a decision. Yes there are excellent counselling services available and certain “steps” that woman must go though before the “procedure” but there is still secrecy about the whole thing that unfortunately often results in significant mental health issues for women further down the track.

Having never been able to have children I can’t know what I do if faced with this decision. However I do know that I would not judge another who made this decision, some people seem to think it as a decision made easily – from my professional experience I would say bollocks!

My brother is a single dad and has been since his daughter was 3 months old (she is now nearly 10) – the mother is still alive but has made the choice not to have any active part in her daughter’s life. So on the basis of the woman has ultimate right over her body if she had decided to abort then he would have had no say and would today not be the great dad he is today?

What I cannot tolerate is the holier than now shove their opinion down your throat pro-lifers who accost me when entering a women’s clinic I attend. They thrust ultrasounds at me and accuse me of being a “murderer” – hmmm hormone replacement kills who again??? (Having said that not having same may result in killing of some-one Wink )

We have had many a similar long and at times heated discussion in the ICU when we are faced with “turning off” life support – when is some-one actually dead – when we turn off the machines and breathing stops? When there is what % of brain activity?

Which when considering medical intervention - brings us back to the original question – when does a life begin?

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:00 am

Morrigu wrote:
I believe that it all comes down to when you actually believe that a life begins and that decision will be very different depending on how you were raised, religious influences your life experiences and the values you have at that particular point in your life

All will come into play when such a decision needs to be made but regardless of our so called liberated society there remains a stigma attached to making such a decision. Yes there are excellent counselling services available and certain “steps” that woman must go though before the “procedure” but there is still secrecy about the whole thing that unfortunately often results in significant mental health issues for women further down the track.

Having never been able to have children I can’t know what I do if faced with this decision. However I do know that I would not judge another who made this decision, some people seem to think it as a decision made easily – from my professional experience I would say bollocks!

My brother is a single dad and has been since his daughter was 3 months old (she is now nearly 10) – the mother is still alive but has made the choice not to have any active part in her daughter’s life. So on the basis of the woman has ultimate right over her body if she had decided to abort then he would have had no say and would today not be the great dad he is today?

What I cannot tolerate is the holier than now shove their opinion down your throat pro-lifers who accost me when entering a women’s clinic I attend. They thrust ultrasounds at me and accuse me of being a “murderer” – hmmm hormone replacement kills who again??? (Having said that not having same may result in killing of some-one Wink )

We have had many a similar long and at times heated discussion in the ICU when we are faced with “turning off” life support – when is some-one actually dead – when we turn off the machines and breathing stops? When there is what % of brain activity?

Which when considering medical intervention - brings us back to the original question – when does a life begin?

Brilliant reply Smile

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:02 am

magpiesgirl wrote:

I see nothing incriminating with a persons decision to have an abortion.

magpiesgirl Aries

Crazy About Daisy!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:56 am

joffa corfe wrote:
magpiesgirl wrote:

I see nothing incriminating with a persons decision to have an abortion.

My point with people possibly be incriminated is that there could be people that are members of Nick's that are strongly against abortion due to personal,ethical or religious reasons and those who have had an abortion themselves or have been directly effected by an abortion could feel that by sharing their story,they could be attacked and labelled things that are untrue and hurtful.

I have been personally effected by abortion,but have not included that side of my opinion because I don't want to be labelled untrue,unfair and uneducated things by people who don't have the openmindedness (im sorry if that isnt such a word) to take in both sides of the argument and outside factors that comprise the whole argument.

“I can honestly say there will never be another Strauchanie and the boys at the club can’t help but be thankful for that” -Nathan Buckley
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:13 pm

Tess wrote:
No I'm sorry this is a DEBATE, not someone's personal masturbation session.

So, you're saying it's a MASS DEBATE then?

leelee Scorpio

Live. Love. Race.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:01 am

i think it is a personal preference. no-body except the person who is pregnant should have a right to decide what happens to themselves and their fetus.

I don't believe a baby is truly a human being until it has its first lungfull of air, but that said, it is just MY opinion.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:09 pm

David wrote:

The irony is, Joffa has barely even contributed to this thread, even though he started it. Most of the actual debate and discussion has come from nomadjack, nuxta, sherrife etc... and yes I agree, why should people be made to feel they have to talk about their personal experiences on this subject? I don't really see the need for it.

I agree entirely that it's not necessary for people to talk about their personal experiences because they are just that....PERSONAL experiences.

This is an intensely private subject, and it's not necessary for people to reveal their own, or the experiences of their friends AND/OR family on a public forum.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:40 pm

well apparently I've ruined the debate due to my insistent "silliness" in advising Joffa of the above.

So, feel free to continue on with the debate, even though I'm not the self proclaimed 'Chairman' of the debate.

My comments and opinions expressed earlier stand.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:55 am

David wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:
so i'm NOT entitled to an opinion in this debate?

Grow up Joffa, ooops, you can't read it because i'm on the ignore list because i have an opinion different to yours.

There is no requirement to get personal information from people. That appears to just suit YOUR curious nature Joffa and yet, you haven't answered the question on WHY you want to know.

This isn't a debate Joffa, this is Joffa's thoughts on a subject and if you don't agree with them, well bad luck other people have opinions and believe it or not, they dont' all agree with you.

What i have contributed to this debate was MY personal opinion and feelings.

The irony is, Joffa has barely even contributed to this thread, even though he started it. Most of the actual debate and discussion has come from nomadjack, nuxta, sherrife etc... and yes I agree, why should people be made to feel they have to talk about their personal experiences on this subject? I don't really see the need for it.

I must have missed something here - how exactly was anyone MADE to feel they HAVE to talk about personal experiences??

Yes it is a personal issue and if don't wish to contribute personal expeiences then just don't - offer your opinion as you wish - pretty simple can't see any demand from anyone here

I actually thought it was a very interesting discussion with wide ranging opinions

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:27 am

Morrigu wrote:
I must have missed something here - how exactly was anyone MADE to feel they HAVE to talk about personal experiences??

Yes it is a personal issue and if don't wish to contribute personal expeiences then just don't - offer your opinion as you wish - pretty simple can't see any demand from anyone here

I actually thought it was a very interesting discussion with wide ranging opinions

Page 1, 2 and particularly 3.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:10 am

It was a request, not a demand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: