Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood vs Richmond - Post Match

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Perspective!

It was only a practice match, who cares what the result was and if some little prick had a day out. It all means squat.

Mick probably would have been trying different things, playing player out of position, playing kids etc.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:33 pm

punkologist wrote:
Perspective!

It was only a practice match, who cares what the result was and if some little knob had a day out. It all means squat.

Mick probably would have been trying different things, playing player out of position, playing kids etc.

Don't disagree and I'm not going to cap myself over a practise match but it is an interesting observation that once small forwards get on a roll against us, we get burned.

Anyway, does anyone have any clues how individuals performed? Any of the kids stand up to be counted?

On the March 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:34 pm

I understand this is a practice match and there is more to the game than winning. But I will never understand the attitude that losing is acceptable under any circumstances. It sets a precedent for the season if we are prepared to accept mediocrity. Lets face it both Richmond and Collingwood were ordinaary going into today..now we are more ordinary !
Plenty O'Toole 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:39 pm

We just have no goalkickers I am afraid. And our centre line is one thing - Slow.

At least we might beat North without Thompson.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:51 pm

Plenty O'Toole wrote:
Could be a long season.

Perspective, please. It is a practice match. Whilst a win is always the desired result, does this loss hurt? Not overly. No injuries, and match practice adds up to a handy effort. And our losses so far (minus the Sydney 56-odd point loss last week) have not appeared to overly damage team morale or whatnot. That said, momentum is important, however round one is a completely different ball game, and I hate to say it given the limited amount of time we have left with him, when Nathan Buckley returns, for whatever reason, the antie lifts a couple of cogs. Didak, too, is reportedly only a month or so off a senior return.

And don't fret over the Kangaroos - I saw them this afternoon, and, trust me, they aren't much chop. Sure, they were minus Wells and Grant this afternoon, but with Thompson out for the season and Rocca retired, we should be ok.

Quote:
Is it just me or do we have a habitt of getting done too often by a small fwd?

You're not alone. Medhurst did it in 2002, for example, Akermanis over the years, Krackaur in round 13 last year...

A winning mentallity is crucial, yes, however, perspective. In 2002, we won only one practice match, and none in the round-robin Wizard Cup (for the record, we defeated St Kilda at North Ballarat, which is interesting - the Saints were our only win this year...).

Keep the faith.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:54 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The Prince of Fullbacks wrote:
Is it just me or do we have a habitt of getting done too often by a small fwd?

if it's you, I'm suffering the same illusion. Some of these munchins seem to have their career best days against us. Doesn't happen every week but it seems to happen to us more consistently than other clubs.

Stats may prove me wrong but that's my perception.

It is definitely an illusion. Every week a small forward somewhere kicks a bag in a winning side. We remember the times it occurs against us because it is always so damned annoying because it seems like they should be easier to stop than a J.Brown. Not to mention small forwards are by definition memorably obnoxious.
Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:03 pm

Plenty O'Toole wrote:
Could be a long season.

22 rounds to be exact. Each and every year. Laughing

westernpie 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:10 pm

So is that our last hitout against another AFL club before round 1,normally we play a interclub match the week before round 1
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:15 pm

Well the AFLPA has some rule about players needing a weeks break but if they need a game then the club has to get permission to play them in the VFL praccy match
melliot 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:34 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Well the AFLPA has some rule about players needing a weeks break but if they need a game then the club has to get permission to play them in the VFL praccy match

Correct. It was said somwhere by MM (I think) that Bux will maybe play a half with Willi next week.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:38 pm

rand corp wrote:
First report: AAP

AFL: Richmond edge out Collingwood AFL Tigers Lead Fulltime
RED CLIFFS, Vic, March 16 AAP - Richmond withstood a last quarter challenge from Collingwood to secure a seven-point win in their AFL practice game at Red Cliffs this afternoon.
The Tigers won 10.12 (72) to 9.11 (65).
Down by 23 points at three-quartertime, the Magpies kicked the first three goals of the final stanza to draw within seven points.
However a late goal to opportunist forward Nathan Brown, his fourth of the match, was a enough to clinch victory for the Tigers.
The match at Red Cliffs Quandong Park was watched by a crowd of

I am Getting Sick of N Brown Beating the Pies all the time.

Who were the best for us?

Plenty O'Toole 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:52 pm

Me thinks, if we struggle against a half strength Richmond??

For mine, as Tony Shaw said North finish last and Collingwood and Richmond and Carlton battle for second last.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:56 pm

Form Afl.com.au

Quote:

NAB Challenge: Tigers pip Magpies

1 hours, 19 minutes ago | Back

AAP
News

RICHMOND withstood a last-quarter challenge from Collingwood to secure a seven-point win in their NAB Challenge match at Red Cliffs in north-west Victoria on Friday.

The Tigers won 10.12 (72) to 9.11 (65).

Down by 23 points at three-quarter time, the Magpies kicked the first three goals of the final stanza to draw within seven points.

However a late goal to opportunist forward Nathan Brown, his fourth of the match, was enough to clinch victory for the Tigers.

The match at Red Cliffs’ Quandong Park was watched by a crowd of 10,700. NAB CHALLENGE

DETAILS

Richmond 3.2 6.4 9.9 10.12 (72)

Collingwood 1.4 5.7 5.10 9.11 (65)

GOALS: Richmond: N Brown 4 S Tuck P Bowden G Polak J Schultz N Foley G Tivendale. Collingwood: T Cloke 2 T Lockyer 2 P Licuria 2 H Shaw C Bryan A Rocca.

BEST: Richmond: N Brown K Johnson R Tambling A Pattison J Bowden. Collingwood: D Thomas T Cloke P Licuria L Davis S Burns.

INJURIES: Nil.

REPORTS: Nil.

UMPIRES: S McBurney D Sully K Nicholls.

CROWD: 10,733 at Quandong Park, Red Cliffs.

Good To Hear Dale Thomas have a BOG

Plenty O'Toole 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:57 pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21394446-23210,00.html

Magpies player Dale Thomas had a chance to bring his side within a point late in the game, but he missed his kick at goal from the pocket at the Mildura end.

Thomas was among the better players for his team, finding plenty of space and showing glimpses of the skill he demonstrated to fans last season.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:57 pm

Collingwoodfc.com

Quote:
Pies fight hard in close one
8:38:25 PM Fri 16 March, 2007
collingwoodfc.com.au

A final quarter surge was not enough to get Collingwood over the line in a tight Regional Challenge contest against Richmond in Mildura on Friday, with the Tigers prevailing by seven points.

The Magpies went in to the last quarter 23 points down, but kicking with the aid of the breeze, got to within six points with time remaining. However Richmond held sway in the final minutes of what was the shortest quarter of the match, with the final score 10.12 (72) to 9.11 (65).

Pies fans will be happy to know that no injuries came out of what was Collingwood’s final hit out before the round one clash with the Kangaroos on Saturday 31 March at the MCG, meaning a near full-strength squad should be available for selection in a fortnight’s time.

After falling behind early, the Magpies hit back in the second term with some hard running and attacking football. A freakish Travis Cloke goal right on half time cut the margin to three points – 6.4 (40) to 5.7 (37), after Richmond opened up a 10-point break at the first change.

Cloke presented well all night and worked very hard for his team across half forward, another sign that he is ready to take the next step for the Magpies in 2007.

Paul Licuria was also excellent, displaying typical determination and ferocity across half forward and in the midfield. After a strong finish to 2006, he showed he is primed to reproduce his best football for the club this season.

Other good performers for the Magpies were Tarkyn Lockyer, who started down back but impressed with his efforts all night, even when he went to half forward in the second half, while Rhyce Shaw also put in a performance to hearten Magpie fans. His run and carry out of defence, particularly in the second half, was encouraging.

Harry O’Brien, playing his first game for the Magpies since suffering a punctured lung in the pre-season cup match against the Kangaroos three weeks ago, played on Kayne Pettifer and impressed with his creative run out of the back half and defensive pressure, while the skilful Leon Davis continues to evolve as a player capable of finding plenty of the ball in the midfield.

Collingwood 1.4, 5.7, 5.10, 9.11 (65)
Richmond 3.2, 6.4, 9.9, 10.12 (72)

Best - Collingwood: Licuria, Lockyer, Cloke, O’Brien, R.Shaw

Injuries: Nil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: