Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Administration / Moderation

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:38 am
Post subject: Administration / ModerationReply with quote

The Administrators / Moderators forum is now closed to general users. The topics that were running in that forum have been moved to the General Feedback forum, which is the forum that people will use to communicate with the moderators as a group (hopefully).

I have given access to the private forum to all those who expressed an interest in being involved. It will then be up to you, as a group, to decide what the eligibility requirements will be. I tried to include everyone from the various topics, but may have missed some. If you can't access the forum and feel that you should be able to, let me know.

What is the role of the Administrators / Moderators?

Administrators are responsible for the over-all function of the site. They decide:

moderation control (appointment / removal / discipline of moderators)

rules of usage

forum structure

features that should be included or removed

etc.

Moderators are individually responsible for the day to day operation of the Bulletin Board. I will post my thoughts on moderation in the Moderators forum in the form of a guide for those who are unsure - it's pretty easy really, it's called minimal interference. I have posted a roster in the forum as a starting point.

My idea was to have the administration performed by the moderators as a group, with decisions made after discussion in the closed forum so that all decision processes can be seen by everyone in the administration group.

I think the initial decisions that the administration body have to make are:

how decisions are to be made (catch 22?)

whether the Bulletin Board is to continue.

if it does continue - in what form and with what name (Nick and I are happy for his name to be retained if you want to that, but will not be upset if you would prefer to rename it).

who is to be eligible to be part of the administration / moderation group.

This Bulletin Board is hosted on our servers, it is not provided by a commercial messageboard provider. That means that we have total control over features that can be provided. If the board doesn't do something that you think it should, odds are we can write the code to add it (within reason). The board is based on one provided by Infopop (Ultimate Bulletin Board), but has been modified to the extent that very little of the original code remains unaltered.

I will continue to host the Bulletin Board on our servers and will implement decisions made by the group. I will also be available to give advice to the group or to individuals when and if you need it.

If this is to succeed you will have to be involved. If you have an idea - let's have it, don't be self conscious about it, there is no such thing as a stupid idea.

If you don't want to be involved in the administration/moderation process, but still view this board as your own and want to be a part of it, use the General Feedback forum to make your thoughts known. Our aim is 'By the Fans - For the Fans', and to achieve that we need the fans involved.

I have been told that this won't work, that this sort of co-operative venture has been tried before, has never worked and never will. I'm not prepared to believe that because this is Collingwood and we are the family. If we can't make it work - no-one can.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 16 February 2002).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: