Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

OK - let's make it happen.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 7:38 am
Post subject: OK - let's make it happen.Reply with quote

This may work and it may not, there's only one way to find out and that's to suck it and see. If we can pull it off then we will truly have an impartial meeting place for all Magpie lovers, if we don't then the other forums will take up the slack and we will have given it our best shot. I noticed that Flounder has already started an Official Cheer Squad forum on From the Outer, so he is obviously keen to capitalise - it would have been nice if he had waited until the body was cold. But the fact that there are other sites waiting in the wings gives us the freedom to decide whether this one is worth fighting for. If it all seems too hard then this may not be the place for you, but if you want a meeting place that is your own and is here purely as a place where you can share your love of the Club with our Bulletin Board family, then hang about.

Firstly I need to point out that the only qualifications or skills that you need to take part in the process is the desire to be a part of it. No computer skills other than the ability to use the web are necessary, any decisions that are made will be implemented by me in my role as tech. support. I see the board being managed by its users and that's the difficult part. Is it workable or am I being too idealistic? Where do we start and how do we do it?

One way, and my recommendation, would be to use the existing moderators of the group forums initially and then call for volunteers. I would suggest that there be a requirement of a minimum period of registration, say 6 months, and a minimum level of participation - 100 posts. I think this is necessary because in order to trust our moderators, we need to know who they are and the only way we can know them is if they have been active on the board for a reasonable period of time. If we use existing moderators to give us a start they would have to be exempt from this requirement. The moderators as a group would then be a perfect management team, deciding all issues concerning the management of the Bulletin Board on behalf of the users.

Moderation would be rostered (weekly?) with perhaps 2 to 4 moderators active at any one time so that too much load doesn't fall on any one person and the Bulletin Board is not controlled by one person or group for too long. It's not a big job, specially if it's shared so that it doesn't become onerous. If you are a regular reader of the board then you are already doing most of it, you just have to be prepared to get involved if necessary.

You should keep in mind when deciding whether or not you would like to moderate that not everyone is suited. You need to be able to answer yes to all these questions:

Can I put my own agenda(s) aside?
Can I be impartial?
Can I allow freedom of expression (eg. religion, language, politics)?
Can I tell when someone is taking advantage of freedom of expression? - many people will cry "freedom of speech" when you shut down their soapbox.
Can I keep my role as moderator separate from my role as a contributor to the bulletin board?
I really hate that bloke, I disagree with nearly everything he says - can I moderate his posts impartially?
Can I avoid being drawn in to personal slanging matches?
Can I tell the difference between personal attack and relevant debate (even when I'm involved)?
Do I know why criticising Eddie as a bad President is relevant and allowable, but reporting that he is a bad husband is not? - neither are true - just used to illustrate the point - sorry eddie.
Can I tell when someone has infringed upon someone else's right to privacy? - sometimes difficult when you're dealing with public figures.
Can I do something that may make me unpopular?
Can I resist playing favourites?
Can I moderate my own posts as fairly as everyone elses?

That's a long list and I haven't covered everything, but nearly all of you already understand and work within these rules with your own posts, you just have to extend that and be aware when someone else oversteps the mark.

Sly's suggestion of a moderators' forum is a good one so I'll create that to get the ball rolling. To start with I'll leave the forum open so that the process is transparent and everyone can join in. Once we have chosen moderators I'll close the forum and only they will have access.

These are just my thoughts and an attempt to get the ball rolling - please post any suggestions or ideas you may have.

Your support so far has been fantastic and is the only reason that the Bulletin Board is still open. Thank you to all of you.

Now is the time to make it happen or let it go - your choice.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 05 February 2002).]
The Zapper 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a bit harsh....

"I noticed that Flounder has already started an Official Cheer Squad forum on From the Outer, so he is obviously keen to capitalise - it would have been nice if he had waited until the body was cold."

Flounder created this on a request in the FTO messageboard from Joffa, so I think the inference being drawn here is incorrect.

[This message has been edited by The Zapper (edited 05 February 2002).]
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:25 am

Mike, that all seems fair and reasonable.

Though I don't qualify to be a moderator (yet), I have no problem with those qualifications.

Just one suggestion. Human nature being what it is, the moderators may want to consider some form of dispute resolution process.

In particular:
1) What can the moderators do about a co-moderator that they believe isn't living within the code of ethics?
I suggest a private moderators forum be maintained. If consensus cannot be reached and the individual continues to offend, then a 2/3 majority vote should be enough to remove that individual.

2) What can I as a 'poster' do if I believe I'm being unfairly treated?
I suggest an open forum, where the individual can put their case. Moderators would monitor that and hopefully issues could be quickly resolved (the rest of us would only be voyueristically interested). If not, it may need to move to the private moderators forum suggested above.

If we can all live within the bounds suggested by Mike, we can look forward to a long and happy life for NBB.

Any year we beat Carlton is a good year
FTO 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:39 am

Joffa requested the Cheersquad section to FTO. We obliged. We didn't know we had to check with you guys first. (We didn't even know there was a cheersquad forum on here.)

Feel free to email me at info@fromtheouter.com and the Cheersquad section will be promptly removed.

We always thought Joffa and co were the cheersquad decision makers, I guess we were wrong. We aren't in this to step on any toes or make enemies. Our goal is to represent the Collingwood Football Club in the most professional manner possible.

Sincere apologies if we have offended.

Flounder www.fromtheouter.com

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:55 am

I didn't realise that the forum had been requested, I apologise for the tone of my remark. I'm feeling very territorial and a bit precious at the moment, nnother reason for me to take a step back.

You know as well as I do Flounder that Cheer Squad conducts its own affairs and I can have no part in that. I can't tell you where they can or can't have their forum, that's totally their decision. It's not my place to ask you to close the forum, even if I wanted you to - which I don't.

If you're prepared to provide a forum for them and that's what they want, then that's between you and them.

FTO 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:03 am

Mike... is there *anything* we at FTO can do to help with your current situation? Email me privately if need be and we can chat on the phone. We're here to help in any way possible ok?

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:12 am

Thanks Flounder, I appreciate your concern.

But I think we're doing it.

The fact that you and Hotrod are there to provide alternatives makes this transition much easier and more honest. Just keep on doing what you're doing.

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:22 am

Mike that all seems fair in love and war.At least we should be able to divide the moderator up between 50 persons who post on the BB.
If I can assist between 2:00pm-4:403p (only time I get onto FRED) let me know via my enmail ad and we will organise something.I dont think that an hour for each person,or a good moderator would be hard to find

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:36 am

I suggest that specific suggestions and points of discussion be raised in the Bulletin Board Administation forum (new). That way they don't get lost in the clutter of General Discussion and we don't clog up this forum.

I'll repost WhyPhilWhy's questions in that forum.

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:59 am

can I put my agendas aside? gee I dunno world domination is pretty important to me.

Can I be impartial? I'm a Collingwood member, of course not!!!!!!

Can I allow freedom of expression (eg. religion, language, politics)? yes except for carlton sympathisers who will be punished.

Can I tell when someone is taking advantage of freedom of expression? Yes, that what oprah bores us with and she should be banned. banned i tell ya

Can I keep my role as moderator separate from my role as a contributor to the bulletin board? Of course I can, I already think my posts are more important than anyone elses now.

I really hate that bloke, I disagree with nearly everything he says - can I moderate his posts impartially? yeah that Fradam bloke really does get up my nose

Can I avoid being drawn in to personal slanging matches? Fradam started it!!!!!!

Can I tell the difference between personal attack and relevant debate (even when I'm involved)? I guess the topic is Fradam a pinhead is not allowed then huh.

Do I know why criticising Eddie as a bad President is relevant and allowable, but reporting that he is a bad husband is not? I know that, we leave woman's day to do that garbage.

Can I tell when someone has infringed upon someone else's right to privacy? yes like the next time I see joffa's car parked in my spot here he's infringed on my rights.

Can I do something that may make me unpopular? Like saying Carlton is cool, see done it already.

Can I resist playing favourites? Depends how many slabs of VB you give me.

Can I moderate my own posts as fairly as everyone elses? who said anyone but me was allowed to post on the new board?

But in all seriousness i don't have a problem with any suggestions you have made mike.

Fradam Wrote This
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:44 am

Mike

From the outer has very kindly given us a section on his bulletin board to discuss cheer squad activities and any such enquiries concerning the cheer squad.

The cheer squad and it's committee feel the need to include all collingwood people into the inner sanctum, we simply want everyone to feel a part of the collingwood official cheer squad.

From the outer bulletin board is another avenue to achieve our aim. This year we have a new slogan OUR CHEER SQUAD YOUR CHEER SQUAD.
Of course we want as many people as possible to become members of the cheer sqaud but we respectfully acknowledge it's not everybody's cup of tea but never the less we want everybody to feel a part of it.
I apologise to all if this has created some sort of ill feeling
joffa

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:57 am

Yes , I understand Joffa - I'm a bit over-sensitive at the moment.

But I must say that I think your timing was a bit off.

All's fine - don't worry.

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 5:20 am

I definitely think it is worth giving Mike's idea a go, especially if the alternative is losing this great BB. I think putting the idea into action is the only way of seeing if it will work - and although I'm not sure if I qualify, I'm certainly happy to help in any way.

GO PIES!

Marg

Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 4:58 pm

Mike,

If ya need assistance - just let me know !

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 2:54 pm

Mike i have given being a moderator a great deal of thought and its not for me mate, im a bit of mess comming home after a loss and i would indeed create havoc here on nicks with the power to delete other peoples postings.

I love nicks board as you well know so i just think i will just keep contributing.
Thanks mike no hard feelings i hope.

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: