Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

By the fans for the fans?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:52 pm
Post subject: By the fans for the fans?Reply with quote

This is the second time in 16 months that I have tried to close Nick's site. Last time I just couldn't do it. This time is no easier, but there is more at stake.

Once again the response has staggered me (I have a short memory). Deborah and I have been trying to think outside the square in an effort to save what is obviously so valuable to so many people. Deborah can't read "A Notice" without crying and feels terribly responsible for the demise of this board. She is not responsible, the decision was mine alone. I have made several changes to my lifestyle in an effort to improve the amount and quality of my time with my family; the decision to close the Nick's Page was one of those. As I said previously that decision is not negotiable, it is something that must be done - but we may be able to save the Bulletin Board.

The community of people that has grown up around this bulletin board is extremely important to me and, I'm sure, is equally as important to many of you and deserves to have every effort made to preserve it. I think there is a way to have our cake and eat it. My problem is mainly time, quality time to spend with my family and friends (and my paying clients), time to go away for a few days, or a few weeks, whenever we need to, without worrying about the site.

I am not prepared to hand the Bulletin Board on to an individual for obvious reasons, but I would love to be able to pass it to a group representing this community. Is that a possibility? Is there a way that we all, as a group, can manage and run the board? I don't even know if we can work together as a group, but it may be worth a try.

The community would be responsible for the management and moderation of the Bulletin Board. The name will be yours to decide. I will be available for advice or technical support and can host the board on magpies.net - so it doesn't have to move, but I won't be tied to it as I am now. If it works, it works; if it doesn't, it doesn't and will ultimately close anyway.

It could be argued that we should go out on a high and that changing tack now will only lead to a prolonged ending, but maybe it deserves a chance. I have no vested interest, other than an emotional one, in keeping it going, but this seems to me to be a natural evolution.

It's an answer that I should have thought of a long time ago, but as usual, it took someone not closely involved (Deborah) to see the logical solution.

One of the problems of unofficial bulletin boards is that although they are run by fans for fans, they are owned and controlled by individuals. They are not really representative of the general body of fans because they must inevitably have the personality of the owner stamped indelibly upon them through moderation and other forms of control. A Bulletin Board run by its users would no longer operate under the influence of an individual and would reflect the users, not one owner. To my knowledge, nothing like this has been tried before so it could be another first for the Pies. Perhaps we're all too different to manage as a group - there are certainly individuals who use this board who you wouldn't put together in a closed room, but if it worked it would truly be 'by the fans, for the fans'.

If the community doesn't look after the Bulletin Board then it will have had every chance and will close.
Lets have some discussion - the decision is yours. I will keep the bulletin board going for another week to allow time for this to be discussed and decided. I'll see you tomorrow in the chat room.

ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a SECOND CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Pies!

Carol

May the Wings of the Magpie touch every corner of the Nation!
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:02 pm

Ooooh Mike what can I say.....

The tears of joy are flowing now.......

Thats the bestest birthday present anyone could give me....

GOD BLESS YOU and Deborah too......

BE LOUD...BE PROUD
(September.... we WILL be there)

[This message has been edited by cobood (edited 31 January 2002).]

[This message has been edited by cobood (edited 31 January 2002).]
daicos4ever 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:06 pm

I can help. I have time on my hands for this, not much, and that may diminish throughout the course of the year, but with others helping i can handle it.

daicos4ever

2002 - The Year of the Pie

[This message has been edited by daicos4ever (edited 31 January 2002).]
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:14 pm

Count the joffa in, BRING IT ON !!!

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !

Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:39 pm

YEAH lets make it happen guys and gals...after all we are collingwood people and we are always paving the way!!!!

Let's keep the legacy alive!!1

I'M IN!!!! 

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:05 am

If I can help out at all, I will (but I warn you that I have very little knowledge when it comes to computers!)

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
GeorgeQ 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:49 am

Mike, I have been an IT professional for 25 years, mostly database admininistration and applications development. I have no web experience but could learn fairly quickly and easily. Glad to contribute if I can.

pie-no-sauce 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 7:09 am

I'll help in any way possible mate.

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 7:27 am

I think it's a very good idea mike. I'm very highly skilled with computers I'm not an expert on being a webmaster but I think if we all got together and shared the load, have a roster system or something between a group of people to help maintain the site. You can count me in for lending a hand as with the cricket season ending soon, I'll have a lot more spare time on my hands.

By the way I think Fradnausium is a great name for a site

Fradam Wrote This
Bones 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 7:37 am

Wish i had the time to help, but i already have a 700 odd page website to look after. Boy you guys are in for a shock heheheh.

Pity the CFC couldnt come up with some sort of help, sponsorship or something. Well Sir Ed we are waiting

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:00 am

Count me in! If there is anything I can help out with I'm most happy to pitch in.

GO PIES!

Marg

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:26 am

Mike,

I was thinking if that was possible when I first read your note about closing the site and assumed you had thought about that and realised that it would be difficult to manage. But if you think it can be done, I would be happy to help in anyway I can.

I am a manager of a computer training company in Melbourne and have access to heaps of resources, such as IT skills and hardware, if it can be of any help. I also have access to training rooms and instructors that could help guide a group of enthusiastic but unskilled people through the nuances of helping to maintain a website. Let me know how I can be of assistance.

Cheers

Mark Dillon

stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:35 am

FANTASTIC!
Come on guys let's give it a try!
It will be a "natural evolution" not a prolonged ending because nobody wants it to end.
We are Collingwood Supporters we can deal with anything!
The best thing is that you will still be here Mike.
I just hope you can let go a little bit and get some of your life back.
Whatever I can contribute let me know.
Julee

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:56 am

Yabba,Dabba,Dooooooooo,saved on the 11th HOUR.Deborah/Mike,you are both absolutely FANTASTIC. What could you do without you.
I would love to assist you from here in Sydney,but with all this court case that I am about to go thru (Feb 4th is the start)I cant see my way clear for at least 3 months,and there are people better equiped than me to do this sort of thing.
Why dosent the footy club come up with some ideas.Surely Il Presidente should be able to assist in some way.
Any way Mike/Deborah,WELCOME back and keep the pecker up,I am sure that the TEAM on the BB will be able to assist in a big way.

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: