Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

BDO in Sydney - WTF!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brewer's Droop Virgo

HIC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

'we' aren't 'punishing' anyone. A private company did/is putting restrictions on what people are allowed to wear/bring into their business. Isn't part of being 'Australian' having the freedom to run your business as you see fit.
If it annoys you so much, don't partake of their business.
Storm. Teacup.

Didaicos Libra

The Macedonian Marvel = The Croat Confoundment!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:39 pm

Listen, before go on that the BDO organisers have gone mad-Read this post by Andrew G (Australian Idol Guy) about last years Sydney BDO and understand the reasons behind the decision.

http://andrewg.tv/blog/index.php/big-big-day-out-post/

I still don't think they should ban the flag(in some ways it would help seperate out the yobs). Also I believe in some ways this may "re-inflame" some of the feeling that had disipatted over the past year since Cronulla.
I said in an earlier post beefing up security and having better alcohol control would be a better way on controlling things.

SWAN'S GOING TO KICK A GOAL. THEY'RE HOME YOU'D THINK I KNOW IT'S A LONG WAY TO GO BUT THEY'RE KILLING THEM NOW!!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:10 pm

The flag is just an excuse for violence.

Arrest the trouble makes and you will resolve the problem. Banning the flag will only divert the issue to something else.

jlc

bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:21 pm

Brewer's Droop wrote:
'we' aren't 'punishing' anyone. A private company did/is putting restrictions on what people are allowed to wear/bring into their business. Isn't part of being 'Australian' having the freedom to run your business as you see fit.
If it annoys you so much, don't partake of their business.
Storm. Teacup.
Absoloubte rubbish, it's hardly private when so many thousands are attending. It's a total load of shit once again being put in place to accomodate the minority
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:22 pm

bazdaddy wrote:
This has got me I'm lost for words. I could never imagine this happening in any other country but here. Instead of punshing those with an ethnic background who insist on fighting because Australian's want to show their national pride, we just punish the majority and all most Australian's who are wearing just for that cause, what an absoloubte load of $£$%^%%$ shit.

Instead of punishing those with an ethnic background (whatever that means, don't we all have one?) who insist on fighting, how about we punish anyone who causes trouble? Or doesn't that fit with your vision of Australia?
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:22 pm

double post
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:24 pm

nomadjack wrote:

Since when did a private company promoting a concert constitute a minority group? And who is being bowed to? The promoters have already come out and said that they are not banning people from carrying the flag outright, just trying to stop overly aggressive displays of nationalism which caused problems last year. They claim to have been misquoted - either that's true, which suggests that this is a beat up, or they are rapidly backpeddling in the face of public pressure - which hardly supports your argument that 'we' are bowing down under their incredible power.

So confiscating any Australian flag or bandanna is not an outright ban? You only confiscate banned items.

Notice how there's been no mention of confiscating a Croatian flag or a Greek flag or a flag from any other nation! Notice how it wasn't the display of the Aussie flag that caused all the shit at the tennis recently.

I wonder what would happen if everyone turned up with an Aboriginal flag?

If they employed security that weren't meatheads, they would then have people who could see trouble brewing and nip it in the bud early, rather than waiting for it to escalate just to get involved.

And to claim they have been misinterpreted - what a cop out. If this wasn't pre-planned, why then have they moved the date forward one day, when in previous years it has been held on Australia Day?

In this instance, I wouldn't say we are bowing down to a minority group, we are actually standing up to them. The uproar it has caused shows that Australians won't stand to have some wankers tell them they can't show support for their country in their own country. Next, we'll be told we can't wear green-and-gold to the cricket. How would you like to be banned from a Collingwood game at the MCG for wearing black-and-white? Don't try and tell me that's different because that's where we are headed if it reduces any anti-social behaviour.

How do you think the Magpie Army would react if they were banned from conducting the Winner's Circle? Afterall, opposition supporters would feel threatened and intimidated, and thus, we can't have that now, can we?

Hooked
Dale61 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:34 pm

Didaicos wrote:
Of course they also sell alcohol at the event but you think they would ban that instead of the flag $$$$?

As event will be attended by underage people, the selling of alcohol should not be permitted - full stop.

With the sale of alcohol, it means the area being used to stage the event is licensed, and to admit underage people to a licensed premises is against the law.

Will the organisers be arranging to have everyone scanned with a metal detector? Unless, of course, the organisers deem an Aussie flag to be more dangerous than a knife! What about drug sniffer dogs? Nah, they'd prefer people to die from a possible overdose than have them killed by an Aussie flag.

This country is going to hell in a handbag!

Hooked
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:35 pm

What a load of emotive crap. That's the point, some toadstool came out with a stupid if well-meaning way of dealing with a genuine issue -boofheads wrapping themselves in the Australian flag at last years BDO and belting people - and 'the masses' reacted to it. End result -there is no ban on carrying the flag at the event - although why anyone wants to take a flag to a rock concert is truly mystifying (unless of course they're deliberately trying to cause trouble -now there's a thought.). And this demonstrates that Collingwood supporters will be banned from wearing black and white to the footy because...Hang on a minute the group that likes to think of itself as the majority actually won Rolling Eyes How does this work again, I'm struggling with the logic.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:40 pm

[Notice how there's been no mention of confiscating a Croatian flag or a Greek flag or a flag from any other nation!]

Just putting this out there, but maybe that's because at last year's event it was meatheads carrying the Australian flag that were belting people. Just a thought, but...yes, the more I think about it, that could be the reason. Argue against the ban by all means, but ffs you've got to joking to criticize them for not mentioning other nation's flags given the background to this issue.
bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:49 pm

Bullshit, it gives some other young teen of some ethnic background and when I say ethnic background I say someone of a younger age who thinks they are way "cooler" to be Greek, Italian, Croation or what ever, to go around in their flag and start being a smart arse.

A few drunken yobs started a few fights last year, unessacary for sure, where did it stem from? Cronulla, Where did that stem from??? We all know the answer to that.

Whats wrong with taking your Australian Flag to a rock concert?, whats wrong with showing some national pride, whats wrong with patriotism, that's something this country is lacking incredibly. If they are simply wearing the flag for national pride and then get attacked by a group of people who wouldn't call them selves Australian, then what does it say for them?

No Australian Flag should be banned from any event anywhere in Australia. This is Australia for (mates with) sake!!

Last edited by bazdaddy on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dale61 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:50 pm

nomadjack wrote:
End result -there is no ban on carrying the flag at the event -

What part of the first quote in my very first post are you having trouble understanding?

People can carry an Aussie flag to the entrance, but it will be confiscated at the gate?

How to you comprehend that's not banning taking a flag into the concert?

Hooked
Dale61 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:53 pm

It will be interesting to see what backdrop Jet uses when on stage.

Afterall, they do use a black and white version of the Australian flag.

Hooked
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:54 pm

""? Afterall they do use a black and white version of the Australian flag?
bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:54 pm

I'm sure they wont kick them out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: