Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

BDO in Sydney - WTF!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:03 am
Post subject: BDO in Sydney - WTF!Reply with quote

http://ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,21095538%255E1702,00.html

Australian flag a 'gang colour'

Quote:
THE Australian flag has been banned from this year's Big Day Out in Sydney after organisers branded it a "gang colour" and symbol of hate.

Organisers of the Aussie rock festival at Homebush will confiscate any flag or bandana bearing the national symbol at the gate.

No mention of other country's flags and emblems being banned, just Australia's.

Quote:
Promoters have already moved the event from the traditional Australia Day gig to a day earlier to avoid nationalistic overtones.

Give it a couple of years, and Australia Day itself will be abolished, and not long after, a push to change the name completely.

It is a sad day indeed when people are banned from showing their allegiance to their country, IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY!

Hooked
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:44 am
Post subject: Re: BDO in Sydney - WTF!Reply with quote

Dale61 wrote:
http://ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,21095538%255E1702,00.html

Australian flag a 'gang colour'

Quote:
THE Australian flag has been banned from this year's Big Day Out in Sydney after organisers branded it a "gang colour" and symbol of hate.

Organisers of the Aussie rock festival at Homebush will confiscate any flag or bandana bearing the national symbol at the gate.

No mention of other country's flags and emblems being banned, just Australia's.

Quote:
Promoters have already moved the event from the traditional Australia Day gig to a day earlier to avoid nationalistic overtones.

Give it a couple of years, and Australia Day itself will be abolished, and not long after, a push to change the name completely.

It is a sad day indeed when people are banned from showing their allegiance to their country, IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY!

Thats quite disturbing and just who are the organisers of the big day out and who gives them the right to ban the Aussie flag ?
Rather than our flag being a symbol of hate its actually been a symbol of hope for millions of migrants.
This now should become a government issue and the wankers running the big day out should be told to pull there heads in.

Last edited by joffa corfe on Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in serious trouble people. We live in scary, scary times and this country of ours is sitting on a powder keg of ready to blow multi-culturalism. If something isnt done soon we as a people will forever lose our Australian identity and this will become like England another fallen ex bastion of empire.
Dale61 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:20 am

Gotta love this comment from Nic Cester, frontman for JET:

(Mainstream headline act Jet have a black and white version of the flag as the backdrop for their set.)

Quote:
"I can't tell anyone else what to do but we as a band are very proud to be Australian and we don't want to feel we are not allowed to feel proud because of the disgusting actions of people who don't represent Australia, in my mind,"

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21095538-2,00.html

Another quote from the same article:

Quote:
Federal parliamentary secretary for immigration Andrew Robb said this morning that the flag was not the problem and should not be banned.

"If they have got a security problem, they need to deal with that, not with the flag. The flag is a symbol of unity,"

Click on the link to read what others have to say.

Hooked
Didaicos Libra

The Macedonian Marvel = The Croat Confoundment!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:42 am

The BDO claim they were misrepresented

http://www.2gb.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2890&Itemid=228

"We are not banning the Australian flag but are simply discouraging its use for anti-social purposes at the Big Day Out," organisers said in a statement early this morning on the BDO website.

"In recent times, there has been an increased incidence of flags brandished aggressively and this has led to increased tension.

Further in the article

"Contrary to the reports in the media, it was never our intention to disrespect the symbolism of the Australian or any other flag," the BDO said.

"Unfortunately the media reports yesterday were not quoted accurately and we must thank the participating media for wasting everybody's time, including Prime Minister John Howard, Premier Morris Iemma, NSW RSL President Don Rowe, Keysar Trad (a confidant of the Mufti Sheik Taj el-Dene Elhilaly) and Burt Lane of the Australian National Flag Association."

SWAN'S GOING TO KICK A GOAL. THEY'RE HOME YOU'D THINK I KNOW IT'S A LONG WAY TO GO BUT THEY'RE KILLING THEM NOW!!
Dale61 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:21 am

The 'apology' is just a crock of shit.

I'm now waiting for them to explain this:

Quote:
The event tours six cities in Australia and New Zealand but the ban will only affect Sydney, where the festival has been shifted to the day before its usual Australia Day date to avoid nationalistic overtones.

Why not just not invite Australian bands? Afterall, BDO is a celebration of Australian music.

First we have Christmas taken out of schools, then Easter, now we can't show our patriotism at a concert.

What's next? The MCC banning fans from attending games in club colours so as to prevent anti-social behaviour? Far fetched, I know, but hey, it's more than feasible.

Hooked

Last edited by Dale61 on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Didaicos Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:23 am

Dale61 wrote:

Why not just not invite Australian bands? Afterall, BDO is a celebration of Australian music.

No it's not, the big day out has always been international; they usually are the main headline acts. (i.e. Metallica, Tool, RHCP)

The first one had Nirvana etc.

It would sink like a lead balloon without the internationals!

SWAN'S GOING TO KICK A GOAL. THEY'RE HOME YOU'D THINK I KNOW IT'S A LONG WAY TO GO BUT THEY'RE KILLING THEM NOW!!

Last edited by Didaicos on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Didaicos Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:29 am

Double post whoops

Dale61 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:44 am

Didaicos wrote:
Dale61 wrote:

No it's not, the big day out has always been international; they usually are the main headline acts. (i.e. Metallica, Tool, RHCP)

The first one had Nirvana etc.

It would sink like a lead balloon without the internationals!

If you had've taken the time to read the link in my first post, you would have read this comment:

Quote:
"It is a ridiculous decision and I never thought I'd see the day when a promoter would ask young Australian people to celebrate Australian artists but not identify with their national flag."

BDO has always been a celebration of Australian music and artists, supported by International guest performers.

Hooked
Didaicos Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:04 am

Reading this morning, I read a comment somewhere suggesting the reason that they may have banned it had to do with an incident at last years BDO in Sydney where 3 or 4 wankers went around with an Aussie flag saying "Kiss the flag or get smacked in the face". Now I agree, banning the flag is stupid and will not solve the problem. But perhaps this incident has made the organisers go way overboard. Of course from all accounts security was crap at last years event (I can back up that from when the last time I was at the BDO the police walked straight past a guy smoking a splif and virtually ignored it) so perhaps they should be looking there Of course they also sell alcohol at the event but you think they would ban that instead of the flag $$$$?

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:02 pm

Maybe this is one of the minority groups we are bowing to ? Too funny not being able to bring Australian flag.

jlc

Dale61 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:38 pm

No Aussie flag, but what about a Collingwood flag? One of those anywhere in Sydney would be enough to spark a riot.
Hooked
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:47 pm

Those people who incite violence because of the Australian should just leave this country if they hate it that much. Simple solution.

It is fast becoming that the majority are in fact being over run and turned into the minority.

jlc

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:32 pm

JLC wrote:
Maybe this is one of the minority groups we are bowing to ? Too funny not being able to bring Australian flag.

jlc

Since when did a private company promoting a concert constitute a minority group? And who is being bowed to? The promoters have already come out and said that they are not banning people from carrying the flag outright, just trying to stop overly aggressive displays of nationalism which caused problems last year. They claim to have been misquoted - either that's true, which suggests that this is a beat up, or they are rapidly backpeddling in the face of public pressure - which hardly supports your argument that 'we' are bowing down under their incredible power.

The only minority group that I can see that has screwed things up here is the mob of pinheads - both Anglo and Australian-born Lebanese - that made dickheads of themselves at Cronulla and at the BDO last year.

As for the whole country turning to crap because of multiculturalism, have a look back through Australian history and you'll see that this sort of divisive us versus them crap is nothing new. FFS in the 1920s and 1930s Catholics and Protestants were marching around openly carrying guns.
bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:04 pm

This has got me I'm lost for words. I could never imagine this happening in any other country but here. Instead of punshing those with an ethnic background who insist on fighting because Australian's want to show their national pride, we just punish the majority and all most Australian's who are wearing just for that cause, what an absoloubte load of $£$%^%%$ shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: