Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Here come's Chipper

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:20 am
Post subject: Here come's ChipperReply with quote

From yesterday's Age
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/news/2002/01/31/FFXSDU102XC.html

Bigger and fitter, young Pie is ready to regain his place
By CHEE CHEE LEUNG

For Collingwood's Damien Adkins, the coming season is a chance to start afresh.

The 20-year-old midfielder had an impressive debut year in 2000, booting three goals in his first AFL match and going on to play 18games for the club.

However, it all started going downhill after Adkins sustained a osteitis pubis injury early last year. He was relegated to the injury list and VFL team Williamstown for most of 2001.

"Last year was frustrating. I played one game of seniors, so obviously this year I'm just going in with a mind of, 'Take everything as it comes, but don't take it for granted'," he said, speaking after Collingwood training yesterday.

The pacy onballer said he was "really protective" of his injury last year, which caused a drop in his skill levels. This year, Adkins is determined to use the pre-season to recover some of that lost touch.

"I guess the onus is to get back and gain my spot again. It's a really important goal of mine to set myself again this year and to play (pre-season) cup games and then be ready to get back in the midfield," he said.

"I'm moving quiet well at the moment ... This time last year, I was walking. It's good to be back into it now."

However, Adkins said he drew some positives from his time on the bench and playing in the VFL. "I learnt a lot more when I was injured than when I was actually playing, just in the way of how to handle things. I think, mentally-wise, I grew up."

And that is not the only area in which Adkins has grown. Described by football manager Neil Balme as "a 17-year-old skinny kid when he started", Adkins is noticeably bulkier, having put on 15 kilograms since his arrival at Collingwood.

Balme said the club was hoping to see a return this year on its investment in younger players such as Adkins. "That is genuinely the test to the system. The young blokes who two or three years ago came in, now they've got to assume the role of the more seasoned players," he said, naming Brodie Holland, Leon Davis, Ben Kinnear and Ben Johnson as examples.

"All those sorts of blokes, if they just take that step and actually get better, the whole team will get better. That's our challenge. That's what we've banked on, and we've recruited to try and do that, and we've just got to hope they come through."

Meantime, forward Anthony Rocca, who is also recovering from osteitis pubis, said he was confident of putting in a good performance when he returned to full training in about four weeks.

"I'm still feeling pretty fresh, which I think is going to help me through the year."

Rocca said the first two games of the pre-season competition were definitely out for him.

Any year we beat Carlton is a good year
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: