Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Huge crash in Geelong Sat Night.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:53 am
Post subject: Huge crash in Geelong Sat Night.Reply with quote

In light of the Noble Park incident, there was a massive smash in Geelong late Sat night.

Whilst sitting fixing a pc, there was these two almight bangs, which sounded like they were just outside the front door, but further investigation found a car (Ford wagon) had crashed through the front doors of a local pizza shop.

What caused the Ford - carrying a young family of four (2 kids; 4 yo and another under 12 months, Mum and Dad) to come to a stop there, was it had been hit by a car driven by a P-plater running a red light.

Being so close, I raced down there (only about 60 metres away) to help out, and ended up directing traffic until the police arrived.

On this intersection is a Safeway, and about 12 people actually saw the impact. The P-plater actually had the audacity to try and say he didn't run the red, but the first thing most of the witnesses said was they immediately checked the lights and all agreed that this little prick was lying.

Admittedly, he wasn't looking special by the time the police arrived, and his three mates weren't much better, but they should be thankful that the family they collected weren't more hurt than just shock, and a few cuts and scratches.

Fortunately, the pizza shop had just closed, and only contained the clean-up staff, and some of them were treated for shock, but the staff's quick action went a long way in keeping the family as calm as possible.

What I'm hoping is that P-plater was driving Mummy's car (which was totalled - front end torn clean off it) and that he at least gets a jail sentence. He wants to be thankful that the family he hit weren't more seriously injured, or worse ..........

Hooked
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not to defend the actions of the p-plater, who was clearly in the wrong, but this reminds me of something interesting I heard while doing the road ready course a few years back.
It is actually a fineable offense to drive through an intersection without looking each way first (although I doubt that anyone has ever actually been fined for not doing so). Now, I know that it should be our right to assume that a green light means it is safe to go, but I guess accidents like these wouldn't happen if the above procedure was always followed.

Anyhow, I think my dad gave me the best advice on this sort of thing... if you assume that every other road user is a complete moron and may do something completely stupid at any moment, you'll do alright for yourself.

Dale61 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:40 pm

David, do you also realise it is an offense to enter an intersection if you cannot exit it.

How many times do you see vehicles sitting in the middle of an intersection because the traffic ahead has come to a stop?

This is also the same at train crossings, but if people want to chance their luck against a train, then they will get all they deserve, except sympathy from me.

I look forward to the nightly news these days, just to see how many less idiot drivers we have in the land of the living. I've been known to actually stand and applaud the end result.

Oh, and regarding your Dad's advise, never a truer word has been spoken. It's now up to you to heed it.

Hooked
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:20 pm

Never made a mistake, Dale ?

You write as if it's only P platers who drive dangerously.

David, This - "Anyhow, I think my dad gave me the best advice on this sort of thing... if you assume that every other road user is a complete moron and may do something completely stupid at any moment, you'll do alright for yourself." - is pretty much called 'defensive driving'.

And it pays to bear in mind, another driver doesn't need to be a moron (or a P plater) to get into trouble on the road and, in turn, present a danger to you. Mechanical failure, blowout etc. and even something like a seizure or heart failure may turn their vehicle into a lethal weapon.

Doing some kind of defensive driving course or even reading up on the subject can minimise the dangers to you.

Plenty of info here: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=defensive+driving+&meta=

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Dale61 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:09 pm

MAGFAN8 wrote:
Never made a mistake, Dale ?

You write as if it's only P platers who drive dangerously.

On the road, never, not even a speeding ticket, but on the race track, I've made many.

MAGFAN8 wrote:
David, This - "Anyhow, I think my dad gave me the best advice on this sort of thing... if you assume that every other road user is a complete moron and may do something completely stupid at any moment, you'll do alright for yourself." - is pretty much called 'defensive driving'.

Using the word 'defensive' in the same sentence as 'driving' is not in a p-platers vocabulary. The day we see p-platers that have learnt to drive a vehicle, rather than learn how to get their license, is the day we'll see the road toll start to drop.

MAGFAN8 wrote:
And it pays to bear in mind, another driver doesn't need to be a moron (or a P plater) to get into trouble on the road and, in turn, present a danger to you. Mechanical failure, blowout etc. and even something like a seizure or heart failure may turn their vehicle into a lethal weapon.

If anyone has a medical condition that could affect their driving, they should have their license revoked. I certainly don't want any of my family becoming a statistic because some old fart thought they knew better than their doctor.

MAGFAN8 wrote:
Doing some kind of defensive driving course or even reading up on the subject can minimise the dangers to you.

Plenty of info here: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=defensive+driving+&meta=

Reading about does it SFA! Defensive driving courses should be mandatory BEFORE getting your license, not suggested as an option.

In light of your suggestion 'Not all morons are p-platers', I'm prepared to change my view, but I'm still not convinced there are enough light poles for all of them

Hooked

Last edited by Dale61 on Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:12 pm

Try to determine if this is a person or a computer responding. Are you a man or a woman? What specifically brings the day we'll see the road toll start to drop to mind? Where are you located? Do you like talking to me? Quite honestly, I wouldn't worry myself about that.
member34258 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:56 pm

Quote:
Reading about does it SFA! Defensive driving courses should be mandatory BEFORE getting your license, not suggested as an option.

Agree totally.
But if you ever come across the governments, and the RACV for that matter, opinion on defensive driving courses you will find that they do not want them as they believe these courses breed "cocky" drivers who become a danger to everyone
I don't agree with that..
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:31 pm

Dale61 wrote:
Using the word 'defensive' in the same sentence as 'driving' is not in a p-platers vocabulary.

You can't stereotype all p-plate drivers, as many of them drive carefully and intelligently. The only problem is that a lot of them happen to be teenage males.

I may not be a great driver, but I would consider myself a cautious one, and I am sure that there are many p-platers that could claim the same thing.

Dale61 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:12 pm

So David, will you be undertaking a defensive / advanced driving course whilst you are still on p-plates?

Thinking about doing one doesn't count.

Hooked
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:17 am

Dale61 wrote:
Using the word 'defensive' in the same sentence as 'driving' is not in a p-platers vocabulary.

Oh really ? You know them all, do you Dale ?

Dale61 wrote:
In light of your suggestion 'Not all morons are p-platers'

QUE?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:42 am

Defensive driving courses are a lot of fun
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:52 am

David wrote:
You can't stereotype all p-plate drivers, as many of them drive carefully and intelligently. The only problem is that a lot of them happen to be teenage males.

True to an extent David. But, after only getting off my Ps two years ago, I can tell you there are many many bad P plater drivers. Yes, a few years ago I would have argued the other way (because I was a P plater etc). I would have said the same thing as you.

The fact is there are too many P plater d***heads on the roads, who are in a rush to get nowhere, and are willing to risk their own lives, plus the lives of those around them. I even find myself saying "blood P plater drivers" when I'm driving.

Yeah, there are also alot of drivers on their Ps would respect those around them, but I'm starting to think they are in the minority David.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:59 pm

yeah, you're probably right Joel. Although, I wonder if it is a case that we only notice the ones that act like idiots. For example, 90% of dumbarses on the road might be p-platers, but that does not mean that 90% of p-platers are dumbarses. After all, every driver has to be on p-plates at some point (generally for a three year period), so I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of idiotic p-platers is smaller than we assume.

Dale61 wrote:
So David, will you be undertaking a defensive / advanced driving course whilst you are still on p-plates?

No, I won't as I don't believe that I need one, as I am not an aggressive or dangerous driver. Anyhow, those courses are bloody expensive, so if you pay I'll do one next week.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:09 pm

Tess wrote:
the driver was a 25 y/o fella who just started driving and has left behind a wife and 5 kids.

I know this is sort of irrelevant, but that is one impressive statistic right there.
Imagine if he had lived to 35 Surprised

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:05 am

David wrote:
yeah, you're probably right Joel. Although, I wonder if it is a case that we only notice the ones that act like idiots. For example, 90% of dumbarses on the road might be p-platers, but that does not mean that 90% of p-platers are dumbarses. After all, every driver has to be on p-plates at some point (generally for a three year period), so I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of idiotic p-platers is smaller than we assume.

Dale61 wrote:

No, I won't as I don't believe that I need one, as I am not an aggressive or dangerous driver. Anyhow, those courses are bloody expensive, so if you pay I'll do one next week.

250 is expensive? Although I cant really talk about cost, mine was free Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: