Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New York

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

London Dave wrote:
Lived in NY for a couple of years before coming here...you won't be short of things to do there. If the weather's good, walking tours are pretty good value. Visit cnr of Bedford and Commerce near 7th, or 171 Sullivan Street in the Village to view NY's greatest attractions, the abodes of LD when he was NYD! DC and Philly are worth day trips too. Havent been back to NY for a couple of years now, and it's almost 12 since I left, but I'll try to have a think about places worth checking out.

As for Memphis, I'd suggest a visit to the Peabody Hotel in Union Avenue at 11am. Civil Rights Museum was v good, and a visit to Porky's Ribs restaurant for a, pardon the pun, pig out, is a must. Beale Street is a bit touristed but you'll find plenty of decent blues bars around, it that's your thing. Graceland was less tacky than I thought it would be. Just cruising through the Delta is great fun.

Some good info mate cheers and appreciated.
I'll be sure to pop in at the civil rights museum, im also intending stopping over at some not too populated southern country town for a night that would be a blast!

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:29 am

eddiesmith wrote:
New York is awesome, probably one of the best places I have been too, although dont know what it will look like now, havent been back there since early 2001, used to visit it almost yearly before that, problem was last time I went to the States I was limited in time so gave it a miss

My favourite place is definately England, i just love how small it is and how easy it is to travel all over the country although I only usually spend the whole time watching and playing cricket in different places, in Australia you cant watch each State team play the same round but in England it was fun to see 4 different games over 4 days of a county game

Main thing I found with New York was it took some time to get used to how big the place is and how many people, couldnt go anywhere that wasnt crowded

You should have a great time Joffa and will definately experience some very different living conditions

Ive actually known people who have gone to the USA for a holiday and didnt go past Disney Land..i know its all about choice etc etc but i reckon travel is all about peoples cultures and traditions that kind of stuff really fascinates me.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:32 am

How do you know? Wow it sounds really interesting, joffa corfe.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:18 am

joffa corfe wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
New York is awesome, probably one of the best places I have been too, although dont know what it will look like now, havent been back there since early 2001, used to visit it almost yearly before that, problem was last time I went to the States I was limited in time so gave it a miss

My favourite place is definately England, i just love how small it is and how easy it is to travel all over the country although I only usually spend the whole time watching and playing cricket in different places, in Australia you cant watch each State team play the same round but in England it was fun to see 4 different games over 4 days of a county game

Main thing I found with New York was it took some time to get used to how big the place is and how many people, couldnt go anywhere that wasnt crowded

You should have a great time Joffa and will definately experience some very different living conditions

Ive actually known people who have gone to the USA for a holiday and didnt go past Disney Land..i know its all about choice etc etc but i reckon travel is all about peoples cultures and traditions that kind of stuff really fascinates me.

I agree, I cant imagine how anyone can spend all that money to travel that far and only go to 1 place, its a waste although the last time I was only there for a week on my way to England so just stayed in LA to see what I was there for and explore it, been to most States and its an amazing place and so bloody huge with so much to see. Although the funniest thing with my travel experience is I have been to UK and USA yet havent seen most of Australia Laughing Only really been to Adelaide and Gold/Sunshine Coasts with brief travels through NSW
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:19 am

slow the last couple of days

Last edited by eddiesmith on Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:22 am

How do you know? Wow it sounds really interesting, eddiesmith.
HAL 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:23 am

HAL wrote:
HAL 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:25 am

eddiesmith wrote:
slow the last couple of days
HAL 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:25 am

HAL wrote:
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:14 am

joffa corfe wrote:
Some good info mate cheers and appreciated.
I'll be sure to pop in at the civil rights museum, im also intending stopping over at some not too populated southern country town for a night that would be a blast!

The little towns can be great...Morgan Freeman (I think) has a blues club in Clarksdale Miss, which I had a great night at. There was also a diner in town that served me the biggest burger and fries ever (and it was bloody delicious). Wouldn't let me leave without sampling their Pecan Pie, which was humungous. Couldn't finish it, I was so stuffed, but they packed that piece, and another into a box for me to take away, zilcho charge for either. I'll do a trawl through my diary and photos to see if there's any place I'd reccomend. Stayed at the Worlds only 'bed and beer' place, the Shack Up Inn in Mississippi too, great place!

Come to think of it, some of the towns along and near the Hudson in NY state are great too.
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:09 am

Bonza stuff this info you dont find on touristy websites
cheers

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:36 am

Thorn tree is a useful site Jof, there is some waffling but you can pick up some really interesting tips and ideas for places to go - people to see!

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:31 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Thorn tree is a useful site Jof, there is some waffling but you can pick up some really interesting tips and ideas for places to go - people to see!

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/

Excellent thanks for that
cheers Smile

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:27 pm

Joff, when I did my US tour (36 states in 33 days, plus Mexico and Canada) back in '92, we were able to visit out of the way places that most tourists never get to see.

Because of this, more times than not, we were the first Australians to visit a lot of the places we went to - restaurants, etc, - and we were treated like VIP's.

At one restaurant in particular (the back blocks of Tennessee), we even had the kitchen staff gathered around our table just to hear us talk, and as we had a lot of Aussie trinkets that we had planned to give out during our travels, all the staff got a little memento from us, and with that, our 'check' was reduced by 50% (but we made up the difference in tips).

That's something you may want to start stocking up on - Aussie trinkets. You'd be suprised at how well these are appreciated by people who are just doing their job.

But, a word of warning. DO NOT attempt to take any Vegemite with you. As Vegemite contains folate, any product that contains folate is classified as contraband, and it could cost you your holiday.

Hooked
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Thanks mate, thats fantastic Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: