Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jobs exodus to WA mines

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Post subject: Jobs exodus to WA minesReply with quote

Jobs exodus to WA mines
John Masanauskas
January 04, 2007

BRICKIE'S labourer turned rigger Greg Bellemey is part of a growing exodus of Victorian workers going west, chasing big salaries at booming WA mining towns.

The 38-year-old from East Doncaster is earning up to $150,000 at remote WA mining sites -- triple his wage in Melbourne.
The WA Government is luring more interstate workers through the Go West Now campaign.

About 1500 Victorians have joined since its launch by WA Premier Alan Carpenter on the eve of last year's AFL Grand Final.

Victorians make up about two-thirds of all registrations and local industries are becoming increasingly concerned about losing skilled workers.

Master Builders Association of Victoria executive director Brian Welch said even unskilled workers such as cleaners and truck drivers were earning $100,000 in WA's mining towns.

He said the Victorian building industry had a serious labour shortage.

"The hardest thing is finding competent people to do the work," he said.

"We also have a State Government that seems incompetent to bring apprentices through the system."

But a spokesman for Employment Minister Jacinta Allan said the number of apprentices and traineeships had doubled with a $6.3 billion investment in education and training.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21007859-662,00.html

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

good money that...they also pay for him to come back to melb every 5 weeks, pay for accommodation in perth if needed and all his meals and accommodation at the mining site.

Having spent some time at WA mines,they aren't that bad a place to be.

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:04 pm

Not sure if it's the same company, but I have a mate who looked into going over as his brother was keen to give it a go, and both were out of work at the time.

Apparently, the airfare is for a return ticket only. The company flies you to Perth and provides accomodation (in a hostel similar to what the YMCA has, mind you), but if you want to fly anywhere else, you have to pay for a one-way ticket yourself, as you already have a voucher for the return trip.

You are expected to work 12-hour shifts, 7 days a week, in order to get 2 weeks leave every 5 weeks.

Whilst onsite, you CANNOT leave the compound for any reason, unless approved by management. However, most things you'll ever need are available onsite.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:07 pm

Quote:
"I get free on-site accommodation in a self-contained unit, free meals, pay TV and access to a full gym and pool," he said.

Mr Bellemey also gets free hotel stays in Perth when needed, and return airfares to Melbourne to visit family and friends every five weeks.

He works 10-hour days for building firm Monadelphous Engineering, near Karratha in the Pilbara.

the units sound exactly like the ones i saw and that's back in 1978. I found the whole compound very very similar to an airforce base and this while whilst i was in the RAAF.

Didaicos Libra

The Macedonian Marvel = The Croat Confoundment!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:22 am

I can speak from first hand that the mining industry is booming; they can barely fill positions. 3 of my mates recently got jobs. In fact I may go my self there next year. It's not only WA. Queensland as well. South Australia also has a lot of natural gas reserves just beginning to open up.

It's hard work (i.e. Labour intensive 12 hour days 3 weeks straight) but it's usually 3 weeks on 3 weeks off.

SWAN'S GOING TO KICK A GOAL. THEY'RE HOME YOU'D THINK I KNOW IT'S A LONG WAY TO GO BUT THEY'RE KILLING THEM NOW!!
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:28 am

be careful where yo do go.

My brother is thinking of going to one up in north queensland, but the rent is astronomical. His wife is trying to get a job as a teacher there and if she does, then she can rent housing for a much lower price.

Some of the mining towns don't help with accommodation.

BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:44 pm

I've been working in the mining industry for many years now, mainly in WA and have not seen employment rates so high.

The money is a big lure for many. But if you are thinking of getting into the industry be aware that remote locations are the norm and shift work is usually the only way to make decent money if you are relatively new to the industry or are semi-skilled. Money is not always everything, and generally sacrifices need to be made to make something of yourself in this game, this includes family/social balances being comprimised regularly and high demands on your work performance. The perception of making big dollars is real, but be aware, you don't get big dollars for nothing.

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:52 am

Proud Pies wrote:
be careful where yo do go.

My brother is thinking of going to one up in north queensland, but the rent is astronomical. His wife is trying to get a job as a teacher there and if she does, then she can rent housing for a much lower price.

Some of the mining towns don't help with accommodation.

If he does Jacqui, tell him to pop in and say hi. Those bloody miners are the reason I start work at 4/4:30!!!!! grrrrrrr Mad

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:19 am

No Townsville skaman, i think it's around Weipa they are going.

However, my niece and her boyfriend have recently moved to Townsville for uni.

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:41 am

Proud Pies wrote:
No Townsville skaman, i think it's around Weipa they are going.

However, my niece and her boyfriend have recently moved to Townsville for uni.

Good uni. The Bludgers Club there goes off big time!!!!! : Wink :Marine Biology is great there too!

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:43 am

lol, well these 2 are real intelligent.

had their car stolen the first week...........they did leave the keys in it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: