Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#8 James Clement

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 4:50 pm
Post subject: #8 James ClementReply with quote

James Clement was just brilliant on Saturday. He is a versatile player that can play positve or negative and front or back. Clement made a difference and showed some great indvidual stuff, with some pressure marks and that huge bomb through the big sticks - 65 meters out.

Clement requires another Nickname besides "Jimmy" as his mates call him at The Club. I hearby name James Clement.....CLEMO. LOL.

It's good to see that the press have noticed him too. See below
"Forgotten man Clement sends wake up call
By Paul Gough
Saturday, May 26, 2001
HE may have played nearly 100 AFL games but it's fair to say James Clement was hardly a household name prior to his move to Collingwood this season.
Five years running around for the competition's lowest profile club, Fremantle, was no doubt a contributing factor as to why even one-eyed Magpie fans were asking each other who was the new player in the No.8 jumper at the start of the season.
But the AFL's most passionate fans are unlikely to ever forget Clement from now on after he produced two of the most memorable moments in the Pies' thrilling come-from-behind 14.14 (9Cool to 12.8 (80) win over St Kilda at the MCG today.
Halfway through the third quarter with the Pies just starting to mount a comeback after trailing by six goals at half-time, Clement marked just 10 metres from goal but near the boundary line.
The 24-year-old immediately ran around to open up the angle before incredibly producing one of the worst kicks imaginable to miss the target by about 30 metres.
But all was forgiven 16 minutes into the final term when Clement unleashed a mammoth 65m kick to score the goal that put the Magpies in front to send the pro-Collingwood crowd of 50,000 delirious with joy.
Even the normally dead pan Magpie coach Mick Malthouse smiled when asked to comment on Clement's two contrasting cameos after the game, admitting it was the first thing he asked the former Docker post-match.
Of the first attempt Malthouse said Clement had told him 'he rarely misses' such shots.
'But he hit it (the football) right in the belly and if you do that it is going to go straight up in the air and generally over to the other side of the ground,' Malthouse said, which is exactly what happened.
However, Malthouse was delighted to see Clement ultimately end up as a matchwinner, saying he had always wanted the versatile player as part of his team even when he was coaching West Coast.
'I've kept a pretty close eye on him for a number of years and watched him develop and I know what type of bloke he is and when we had the opportunity, I had no hesitation in getting him to the club,' Malthouse said.
And as for the man himself, Clement has to pinch himself to believe he is now being cheered on by Collingwood's huge supporter base rather than running around in front of perennial battlers Fremantle.
'It's nice to be in the black and white with the Magpie army following you around rather than in Dockers' colours, I can tell you,' he said. "

and

"Clement's form runs from back to front
By MARK FULLER
James Clement could be forgiven for looking every bit the backman. After all, that had been his lot in his previous incarnation as a Docker, and that was his assignment in the first half yesterday against St Kilda.
Problem was, this was the second half and he had just been pushed forward by Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse. The Pies were surging back and Clement had marked near the left behind post.
The 24-year-old, pressed tight on the boundary line, contemplated the flock of swooping Magpies leading at him, then stepped to his right and let rip, launching the ball high, wide and out of bounds, 35 metres wide of the right behind post.
But if you assess that effort alongside his brilliant job last week on Port Adelaide's in-form forward Stuart Dew and come up with the answer ``backman'', you'd be less than half right.
Malthouse knew as much when he asked him to spark a barren Pies forward line, and Pie fans were in little doubt after Clement capped an influential second half with a booming goal from 65 metres to break St Kilda's back.
In his eighth game of the season, this was just his fourth goal, but his seven second-half kicks gave Collingwood sufficient thrust to suggest that more scoring opportunities are bound to come his way.
Which suits Clement nicely. After all, lack of opportunity was a prime incentive for his departure from Fremantle at the end of a 2000 season in which he played just eight games for a one-goal return.
When it came to Clement, Malthouse was looking for an opportunity, too.
The former West Coast coach had seen the young 190-centimetre forward strutting his stuff for South Fremantle, and was impressed with his versatility.
``That's one of the things (I saw) many years ago when I watched him play as a junior, and, obviously, the Eagles were very keen to get him,'' Malthouse said.
``We weren't able to trade then and he went to Fremantle.
``But I've kept a pretty close eye on him for a number of years, and I know the personality and I know the type of bloke he is, and when we had the opportunity I had no hesitation in trying to get him to the club.''
Having landed his man at Collingwood, Malthouse has begun to explore the bounds of that versatility.
``Every week I play, Mick's told me that I'm a utility and that I could play anywhere around the ground,'' Clement said yesterday. ``So, I've found myself in the backline, wing, in the middle a couple of times, in the forward line.
``It's a great role, and I think it's extended my usefulness here at Collingwood.''
With Fraser Gehrig doing a fine job for the Saints in shutting down the goal-scoring potential of Chris Tarrant yesterday, Clement's usefulness extended to raids up forward.
And as much as he's enjoyed such tough assignments as opposing the likes of Dew, Carlton's Anthony Koutoufides and Essendon skipper James Hird, Clement feels most at home in sight of goal. ``I played all my junior years there, and I think probably my best understanding of the game is down there,'' he said.
Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy thought as much in 1998 when Clement kicked a bag from full-forward to give the Dockers an unlikely victory over Essendon at Waverley.
But a month later, Clement was picking up key forwards in defence as Kingsley Hunter, then Tony Modra prowled the Fremantle goal square.
But that alone wasn't enough reason for him to flee the Dockers. For the erudite Clement, the chance to taste the more vibrant football culture of Melbourne was an irresistible lure.
At Collingwood, he found a feast - three successive games before crowds of more than 70,000. ``It was just absolutely amazing,'' Clement said. ``It's nice to be in black and white with the Magpie army following you around (rather) than in Dockers' colors, I can tell you.
``Motivation-wise, you honestly bounce out of bed and you look forward to training hard and making a reputation for yourself in the black and white jumper.''
If that starts with impressing the coach, Clement is well on the way.
``Great quality person,'' said Malthouse, ``And that's our first priority.''"

As Shite-Mike would say . "Errr What do you think"

Collingwood Forever !
Tony_Clemente@hotmail.com
www.netspace.net.au/~clemo
AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 7:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You just gotta love that attitude, don't you? A player who really WANTS to play for Collingwood. And they said not long ago that players didn't want to play for us. They all wanted to play for the Kanga-bloody-roos. Like Leigh Coldbutt. What a bloody loser!!!

It's great to have Clemo at Pie Land. And long may he wear the black and white ... and be cheered on by the black and white army.

I was pissed off during the summer by the lack of "name" players among our recruits ... but I was WRONG WRONG WRONG ... like a lot of other people. Mick Malthouse is a very good judge of footballers. What he has done with the Collingwood list has been miraculous. St.Kilda got all the "name" players. And look how good they are ... LOL.

**floreat pica**

SS11 Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 4:52 am

what a gun..hes a star our jimmy

scud 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:08 pm
Post subject: Happy birthday JimmyReply with quote

Happy Birthday James Clement. It's been a pleasure watching you in the black and white and i hope there are many more years of watching you play.

Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:15 pm

OMG! I look at my planner everyday and today i forgot so i didnt get to post the happy birthday message first! Yet, my friends call me the walking calendar! hahahahaha!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIMMY! Hope you have a great one!
Love always, Alyssa xoxo

*~Alyssa's song of the week~*
"You know the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone, Only seven flying hours, and I'll be landing in Hong Kong, There ain't nothing like the kisses, From a jaded Chinese princess, I'm gonna hit some Hong Kong mattress all night long! *Khe Sanh-Cold Chisel*"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:16 am

Yeah - happy birthday Clemo

molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:11 am

Do us proud Jimmy!!!!!!!. Does that make him 26 now?

Happy Birthday!!!!!!.

JUST DO YOUR BEST MIGHTY MAGPIES AND IF YOU WIN BRILLIANT!!!!!!!.
(trying not to sound to nervous*lol*).

Jarrod Molloy RULES!!!!
*2002 Joint V.C*
Peppermint Pattie Aquarius

Like a bat out of hell...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:43 am

Happy Birthday man!

*When my parents sent me to a girls school, they should've know there would be consequences*

Seeing Carlton lose makes the pain so much easier to bear Smile
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:47 am

Happy Birthday Jimbo! C'mon Pies give him a Birthday present he will never forget.

JDF
*Rach_luvs_Lonie* Aries

*~LiL bItTa CoUnTrY..LiL bItA mJ~*

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:33 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIMMY!!!!!!
Luv ya lots and lots Mr Clement!
Luv Rach!!xoxox

*OHH THE RYAN LONIE OHH THE RYAN LONIE OHH THE RYAN LONIE AND THATS WOT ITS ALL ABOUT*

I am so smart..S M A T
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:23 pm
Post subject: ClementReply with quote

In the context of any game especially a victory the accolades are given to certain individuals that receive more of the limelight for many reasons. Maybe because I played in the back line when I was younger I see the bigger picture as far as what players do.

Clement is a player that everyone should take note of what he does during any game.
The rebound football he produces is awesome. He runs rings around many an opposition player and rarely gets beaten in a contest. Can play in front of a player and also from behind. While the likes of Taz, Bucks, a Lica etc get the praises from supporters and deservedly so, the quality of our back line with the likes of Clement in it is a joy to watch. There is nothing more I like seeing is us pumping the goals through one end and giving the opposition nothing at the other.

Clement is a thinker in the modern game and considering we got him for nothing those Dockers must be crying in their drinks when they see him play.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:06 pm

I cant believe the warf rats didn't do all they can to keep such a gun.
Madpies_Fan Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:20 pm

I totally agree. Jimmy is such a talented player, and so happy we picked him up. He's a quality player and a hard worker. He does a fantastic effort.
scud 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:20 pm

at the monment he looks almost unbeatable in the one on one contest. His disposale is also top self
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:09 am

There is actually a thread on Jimmy on the dockerland page - kind of like Nick's but only half as good. They are spewing about him leaving.

http://www.dockerland.com

I go there to see them bag the eagles usually but stumbled across the Jimmy thread.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7   

Jump to: