Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Virus Hoaxes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:53 am
Post subject: Virus HoaxesReply with quote

A new virus hoax (well, actually an old one that has been resurrected) is doing the rounds.

The following is typical of the text included in the hoax. Thank you to the person who sent this to me for the timely example.

----------------------------------------------------------------

READ THE MESSAGE BELOW VERY CAREFULLY.

This virus WAS on my computer.

> > I received an e-mail that said I may have a virus
> > that.. is apparently undectable by Norton of Mcafee
> > anti-virus software. It remains dormant for about
> > 14 days, them activares and wipes out the hard drive
> > data. I checked my c hard drive and found it.
> > Since you are i my address book, your computer may
> > also have it. Below are the directions for removing
> > it.
> >
> > 1. Go to "Start", "the fo to 'find' or 'search'
> > (depending on your computer)
> >
> > 2. In the search for files or floders type
> > sulfnbk.exe (this is the virus)
> >
> > 3. In the look in box make sure you are searching
> > Drive C
> >
> > 4. Hit search or find button
> >
> > 5. If htis file shows up (it's as ugly blackish
> > icon that willhave the sulfnbk.exe name DO NOT OPEN
> > IT!
> >
> > 6. RIght click on the file, select delete and left
> > click.
> >
> > 7. Send to recycle bin
> >
> > 6. Go to desk top ( where all your Icons are),
> > double click Reycle bin
> >
> > 9. Em;y recycle bin.
> >
> > If you found this file, e-mail everyone in you
> > address book, that is how it is transfered!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------

The above hoax convinces readers that they have a virus on their machine by naming a file and then telling them where it's hiding. The reader is convinced because when they look for the file they find it. The natural reaction is to quickly delete the file before it can damage the system and then, convinced of the truth of the warning, warn others, thus perpetuating the hoax. The problem here is that the file exists because it is a legitimate windows file, in this case rarely used, but legitimate none the less, so the reader has been hoaxed into damaging their operating system and, worse, has then encouraged others to do the same.

Virus hoaxes are an internet problem that may be as costly as real viruses. The hoaxes are typically dressed up as warnings about a virus that exists only in the imagination of the originating author. They are costly because of the huge amount of traffic that they generate as person after person warns 'everyone they know' of the 'danger'. Traffic increases exponentially over a very short period of time and not only slows the network, but dramatically increases the costs to ISPs and other access providers. Access providers are charged for the amount of data that is delivered to their servers, so every email adds to the cost. This increase is passed along to the user.

Virus and other hoaxes can usually be recognised in a couple of ways:

1. They nearly always exhort you to 'tell everyone you know' or 'email everyone in your address book'. You never see that sort of encouragement to spread the word attached to genuine warnings. In fact, you very rarely see genuine warnings.

2. They often try to gain credibility by throwing in a few recognisable names - "Virus exterts at Microsoft have warned", "McAfee and Norton are unable to detect" etc.

Please take the time to investigate before passing on warnings. A simple search on the subject or the filename or vrus name in a search engine will usually reveal the truth in seconds.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I'm guilty of spreading a virus hoax, I told some clown at work to watch out for Alzheimers virus...it makes your compter lose its memory.....tends to affect older computers.

thanks for the post Mike, it's always nice to get info from a reliable source (not me!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: