Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#27,#43,#5 Captain Nick Maxwell

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:39 am
Post subject: Re: MaxwellReply with quote

dalyc wrote:
I was just reveiwing the Gavin Brown Medal votes after watching a replay of the Carlton game. I didn't cast a vote for him, and nor did anyone else but with a second look, gee I thought that Nick has a terrific game down back for us.

Am I alone?

Thought he struggled to get into the game in the first half. Much better in the secoond half when moved to defence.
rowdypies 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:04 pm
Post subject: Nick MaxwellReply with quote

Can he become our version of West Coasts Hunter or Staker and be able to play both ends of the ground. I reckon both those players versatility went a long way to them winning the 06 flag so can our Nick do the same for us or were his 4 against the Bears a fluke and is he just a backman?
uey 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No - definitely in the Hunter mould. Courageous and athletic.

Needs to develop as a backman to take on a number 1 - 1.5 tall but could more than bob up in the forward line and kick a few in a final should match-ups allow him to be there. Very capable of taking a 3rd tall for a half or so - Riewoldt/Hansen.

Good enough to slip under some radars.

killer Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:26 pm

Nick needs to be more accountable in defence, he has never really taken a big scalp, perhaps with more muscle he could.

i never really liked him much up foward but he his defensive foward role has really come in handy recently, he still needs to kick goals though,
because when buckley comes back we wont need another third tall in the foward line.

Car'n the PIES!!!
jimbeam 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:28 pm

He is Mr utility, like a reserve to bolster up our weak areas and seems to lead head first and is a credit to the club and himself. One of out best if you ask me, might not look fancy but gets the job done and works hard for his team. Shame we dont have a few more bloke who have maxes attitude.
uey 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:43 pm

You can tell he has really worked on his kicking and is about 60/40 from 50m on a 45degree angle.
Jace Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:25 pm

I love the way he goes about his football. He is very team focussed (perhaps too much so at times). He has been great & has shown great maturity for his age.
chalky 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:39 pm

Don't mind Maxwell up forward. He presents well and can take a contested mark. His "forte" is his defensive skills, always bringing the ball to ground when out of position. He'll never EVER shirk a contest bringing our crumbing players into the picture. He can certainly be a plan B. We certainly need alternate plans as shown recently. Too predictable. When Rocca is off so is our forward structure. We need to show opposition clubs something different. PlanC - Buckley, Plan D - ?
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:32 pm

I love the fact that he can play all over the ground...but he still needs to see himself as a defender, and as such MUST develop his defensive ability to the point where he CAN hold an opposition tall forward in a one-on-one contest.

Its quite crucial that he become the "new improved Shane Wakelin", as with Presti, Jimmy and Harry already walk-up starters as tall defenders, and John Anthony and Nathan Brown touted as being very very promising defenders, Maxxy will find himself pushed out if he cannot play that role.

From reports, Brown is a more skilled version of Maxxy in that he can play all around the ground as well. He is faster, reputedly a better kick, and with a better vertical leap. So he can play a wing as well, as can Reid, and Josh and Cox already do play around the wings.

Maxxy's courage and hardness are what will put him in front of his teammates, and will make up for his slightly lower skill level, and if he can ensure he is able to completely shut down the oppositions third tall on an almost weekly basis, he would be almost guaranteed 15+ games a year...and more once Anthony replaces Clement and Brown replaces Presti (or something like that).
The General Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:45 pm

I like the way Maxwell plays. However, I can't help but wonder where his position would be in a full strength team.

Back line would already include Presti, Clement and Harry. Does Maxwell go in as the fourth tall?

Forward line would have Rocca, Cloke, Bucks, even Rusling. Surely no room for him up forward either.

Personally I would have him in out best 22, perhaps starting on the bench as a pinch hitter/stop gap.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:05 pm

I thought we've missed him down back over the last month or so, his defensive pressure and run out of the back has been missed.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:20 pm

MagpieMad wrote:
I thought we've missed him down back over the last month or so, his defensive pressure and run out of the back has been missed.

My thoughts too. Too valuable in defence.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:49 pm

I see Maxwell's long-term spot as being in the midfield. Think about it:

* He played all his junior footy as a rover/midfielder
* He has great hands - Nick's handballs have more penetration than Licca, O'Bree or Holland manage with their kicks - and he has fast hands.
* He has physical presence and never takes a backwards step.
* He's not a lightning quick outside runner like a Dick or an Aron Davey, but he still has a decent bit of pace - faster than our current plodding inside mids.
* He is not afraid of getting to the bottom of a pack.
* He is mobile and, like Fraser, could be a very damaging link man in the circumstance where the oppo gets the clearance, then it rebounds off our haf-back line. He's tall enough to make it very hard for an oppo midfielder trying to beat him in the air.

Maybe too tall for a midfielder? Nonsense! How tall is Hird, Goodes, Judd? Nick is a natural-born ruck-rover, IMO, and would be very hard to man up on - especially as he can play forward or back whenever the team needs him there, which is a bonus. Or if Nick is getting beaten in the middle, he can play third tall up forward or in defence, freeing up another player to go on the ball.

Got to be worth a try. We all know our midfield needs more oomph: why not try thinking outside the square for once?

Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:54 pm

Tannin wrote:
I see Maxwell's long-term spot as being in the midfield. Think about it:

* He played all his junior footy as a rover/midfielder
* He has great hands - Nick's handballs have more penetration than Licca, O'Bree or Holland manage with their kicks - and he has fast hands.
* He has physical presence and never takes a backwards step.
* He's not a lightning quick outside runner like a Dick or an Aron Davey, but he still has a decent bit of pace - faster than our current plodding inside mids.
* He is not afraid of getting to the bottom of a pack.
* He is mobile and, like Fraser, could be a very damaging link man in the circumstance where the oppo gets the clearance, then it rebounds off our haf-back line. He's tall enough to make it very hard for an oppo midfielder trying to beat him in the air.

Maybe too tall for a midfielder? Nonsense! How tall is Hird, Goodes, Judd? Nick is a natural-born ruck-rover, IMO, and would be very hard to man up on - especially as he can play forward or back whenever the team needs him there, which is a bonus. Or if Nick is getting beaten in the middle, he can play third tall up forward or in defence, freeing up another player to go on the ball.

Got to be worth a try. We all know our midfield needs more oomph: why not try thinking outside the square for once?

I think this was something mick was trying with him as the centre-bounce ruckman in the Blues game. He obviously isnt a ruck option, but like Fraser, is very good at ground level for a tall and really ads some punch.

Im not sure if he's a better option to contest the centre bounces than Burnsy, Obree, Clarke, Heater, Swan etc, and i think if we are talking midfielders to make a physical impact, Heater is the better choice....but as for playing thru the middle during general play....certainly worth a shot as a link man.
sq3 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:57 pm

I think your correct Tannin.

Maxwell is the 2007 version of one M.Tuck that played in a few games with the Hawks and a 6'1'' ruck rover then was ridiculous - but so was the way Tucky could play and read the game.

Had no real pace but always got where the ball was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9   

Jump to: