Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#27,#43,#5 Captain Nick Maxwell

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

very courageous Nick. I like his pressence on the feild. He was tremendous against the blues. Agree RudeBoy he is one of the enforcers in the team.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:50 pm

He's playing one of the most difficult roles in the team (defensive third tall at either end of the ground) very effectively (number of disposals irrelevant for this role). He's tough and his disposal seems to be getting better by the week. Excellent season thus far playing a thankless role.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:54 pm

He's done the hard yards and is just starting to blossom as a player and leader. He's probably never going to be one of those players the media salivate over, but if he keeps going the way he's going, he'll be recognised by peers; teammates and Collingwood fans as a genuine goer with a touch of mongrel, a heap of determination and more than a little skill.

I agree with DaVe86 in that his best position is back but the fact that he can pinch hit up forward or even potentially on ball or wing (I think the word you used was versatility DaVe) gives him extra strings to his bow so that he can be moved elsewhere rather than taken off if being beaten/bad matchup or if we need someone to fill a gap elsewhere.

Apologies to Eddiesmith but, even though I was a fan of Jason Clokes endeavour and attack on the ball, I think Nick is a better option.

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:55 pm

Not at all DalyC.

Secret Agent 86 is doing a fine job. Exactly what the Chief wants.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:09 am

die4pies wrote:
Not at all DalyC.

Where's Hymie and Agent 13?? Razz

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:16 am

stui magpie wrote:
die4pies wrote:
Not at all DalyC.

Where's Hymie and Agent 13?? Razz

They've been seduced by Simon the Likeable.
killer Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:16 am

Nick is a courageous and promising Player.
Now is the time to consolidate his defensive work, and take out a real big scalp such as harry has done with lucas, nick might even be able to do the job on brad johnson who knows.

Car'n the PIES!!!
rand corp 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:48 am

Thought Maxy had an ordinary first half but turned it around and had an outstanding second half, did well when back and provided a leading, marking target when forward. Very good effort and he is coming along very nicely.

Note, I did include him in my 'apologies' column for not getting him in the votes.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:17 pm

I love the way Maxy is progressing, but cant help but wonder if his role is becoming more of a versatile tall-utility than a defender, as i would struggle to name his last 3 opponents. I just hope his one-on-one game is still being developed at the same time.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:52 pm

Zakal wrote:
I love the way Maxy is progressing, but cant help but wonder if his role is becoming more of a versatile tall-utility than a defender, as i would struggle to name his last 3 opponents. I just hope his one-on-one game is still being developed at the same time.

I actually don't have a problem with this, cos if JA, Goldsack and Brown all come on as well, Maxie's ability to play as a tall utility gives him that extra string to his bow and more flexibility to the team.

spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:43 pm

Surprised that Eddiesmith has not thrown his two bobs worth on this one! Probably under the illusion that we would be 7-0 if we had all three Clokes in the team!
Dark Lord Capricorn

He's back...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:04 pm

I'm a big fan of The Enforcer. He had an awesome 2nd half last week.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:29 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Zakal wrote:

I actually don't have a problem with this, cos if JA, Goldsack and Brown all come on as well, Maxie's ability to play as a tall utility gives him that extra string to his bow and more flexibility to the team.

Im not too worried either because i think there are better defensive options one-on-one already showing signs. Like Harry. But you'd like Maxxy to continue developing that side of his game in case injury strikes. I would like Maxxy to become the new Wakelin...but one that can play around the ground as well. (although with Wakes goal last week, maybe he wants to do that too hehe).

We don't want to be caught out by injury or retirement, and find we dont have enough players with negating power.

How great would it be if our future backline is made up of Harry, JA, Brown...with Goldsack and Maxxy playing around the ground, and Travis Cloke playing up at CHF with Reid....but if ever an opponent starts to get on top of Harry for instance, we have the versatility and confidence to be able to throw Maxxy, or Goldsack or even Trav back on him and expect them to be able to make a difference.

I think thats what our side is building towards, total versatility. Look at the players we have drafted recently:

Travis Cloke...can play just as well at CHF as CHB. IN fact prior to this year, some of his best games have been at CHB. Could also play a roaming role along the wing if we really needed it.

Josh Fraser...not the best ruckman in the comp, but he is by far the best rover over 200cm. Can play ruck (though hopefully one day only 2nd ruck), up forward, down back, on a wing, across CHF. The epitome of versatility..hell he can even play as a midfielder at the centre bounce he's that good below his knees.

Goldsack....was drafted as a tall wingman/HF, yet apparently is demanding selection in the seniors playing FB for willi, and has the size to play KP or on a wing.

Pendlebury....midfield panther yes...but in a few years when be bulks up a bit and his body hardens, he is tall enough to play a Key position as well.

Nathan Brown....junior All Australian FB...rather the best FB in the draft...yet has the athleticism to play CHB, on a wing, or even at CHF (depending on his kicking). At worst he is a defensive option across HF as well.

Ben Reid...probably more wingman than the other players ive put down as being able to play on wing, given his even greater speed, athletisicm, vertical leap, and kicking skill. Yet at his recent rate of growth could also play ruck, and definitely a forward role when he bulks up.

Maxxy....as explained above.

Toovey and Cox also seem to have similar capabilities.

Add to those guys the FP/HFFs and BP/HBFs who can play midfield.
Didak, Davis, Medhurst, Swan, Johnson, Rhyce, Heath, and Daisy.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:12 pm

It wasn't too long ago most ppl had the knives out for Maxy Evil or Very Mad How times have changed Very Happy Well done Maxy. Our new enforcer.
xtcc 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:03 pm

I really like it with Maxxy forward as a defensive player. He adds something different for other sides to worry about. They are not only covering talls, crumbers etc but our whole team. Things are looking good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9   

Jump to: