Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#8 Heritier Lumumba

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

matrix10 wrote:
Genuinely interested to know what you would do better (pardon the pun)-
what strategies, processes and policies do you think would be deemed ethical and without self-interest?

I think a whistleblower policy and restorative disciplinary measures are an absolute must – what's at the core of Lumumba and Krakouer's complaints is not just that they had to endure racial vilification, but that they had no internal means of handling it.

This has to be a more sophisticated mechanism than just some kind of anonymous dob-and-punish exercise like most workplaces have; in a football club in particular, the need for maintaining cohesion and camaraderie is significant. This is something that Lumumba has spoken about in particular; the issue is not just whether a mechanism exists for you to report stuff that's happened to you, but whether you can feel confident that you're not going to be given the cold shoulder by the group if you say anything. Part of that is tied up in how the "offender" is dealt with; there needs to be a way for them to acknowledge, apologise and reconcile.

Really, the process has failed so comprehensively in the past that every stage of it needs to be addressed. Will the player's complaint be taken seriously? Are there mechanisms in place to ensure the player doesn't face career setbacks as a result of speaking up internally? Will the player themselves face internal repercussions if they go public when unhappy with the club's response (as happened to Lumumba)? The article says that we've "initiated work on the recommendation to set up … established whistleblower policies", so I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of that.

In terms of what Lumumba wants specifically, it's not for me to say. It may be that he wants a more all-encompassing apology, or even some kind of compensation. It may also be that the bridge is burnt, and the club will have to just continue to focus on improving its own policies and accept that he – and Davis, and Krakouer – will never forgive them or want to be associated with them again. Not every sad story has a satisfying ending.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:59 pm

^ My take is he would like to see the Collingwood Football Club destroyed, totally. That is his real endgame now.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:10 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
If he could be clear and unambiguous with what he wants to have happen - to the club, to the general public - then I reckon there'd be a huge groundswell to see it eventuate.

Mr Miyagi wrote:
So while I want the club to act on its Do Better report, Lumumba isn’t making it easy for the club to do anything with him. He wanted Ed and Bucks — they’re gone, got what he wanted, but now he wants something else. He needs to take a step forward as much as the club.

Perhaps that's the point – it shouldn't be easy? It's one thing to say "give me x, y and z and I'll stop talking about you"; that's language that organisations understand well, and many would happily do whatever they're asked in order to be able to move on and not have this issue hanging around. But if he doesn't feel the club is acting in good faith, then he has little incentive to play ball.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:21 pm

Well if it means it’s now the club’s lawyers talking to his lawyers, and everyone else can get on with footy and living their lives whilst the lawyers sort it out, then it might be a good outcome for all involved.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:36 pm

Perhaps H is full of hate and maybe that’s completely warranted. I don’t understand the end game of pulling out though, taking at face value that the club is genuinely trying to change and improve itself.
It does read as if he (they) don’t so much care for the club improving rather that they are not changing their stance on what the club used to be and the racism there with. Or one could read this as H not getting the compensation he wants and will go lawyers at 10 paces. Or he genuinely doesn’t think the club is trying. We don’t know.

Last edited by Haff on Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:45 pm

Have Andrew Krakouer and Leon Davis said anything publicly?

All I have seen is Heretier Lumumbas twitter post talking for them.

Not that it is necessary for them to let everyone know they have cut off communication with the club, I just find it interesting that they are OK with it being broadcast on social media by someone else.

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:49 pm

^ They've backed him pretty consistently (and without qualification) on this, so I would be very surprised if they didn't give him the thumbs up ahead of time.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:58 pm

OK.

Maybe this does need to go down the legal track for the three players to get the outcome they wish. That however may mean naming and shaming the individuals who made particular comments or did not act appropriately, something Heretier has been reticent to do so far - apart from Eddie and Bucks.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:00 pm

Like it good old Harry O reminds me of the 2010 grand final he is a Collingwood premiership player harry o
slangman 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:01 pm

Name the players and specific incidents or bugger off.
Prometheus Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:03 pm

""My take is he would like to see the Collingwood Football Club destroyed, totally. That is his real endgame now.""

I think Harry has a persecution complex and wants his "Metoo" moment and to also make a great big bunch of cash out of it via a payout.

Then he can piss right off and fade away into irrelevance where he belongs... but I doubt it. He will continue to milk it for all it's worth.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:19 pm

Lumumba is a pure narcissist, plain and simple. He has never really been concerned about racism, social equality or any other issue, except in regards to how they can draw attention to himself.

I loved him as a player, but as a human being he is a great disappointment.
Seth 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:23 pm

Have I missed something? Is there some sort of lawsuit instigated by Davis and Krakouer? Have they said something publicly and I’ve missed it?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:36 pm

Seth wrote:
Have I missed something? Is there some sort of lawsuit instigated by Davis and Krakouer? Have they said something publicly and I’ve missed it?

Media Making Stuff Up to Shit on Collingwood again

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:44 pm

Collingwood must ensure all lines of communication are opened again . We need to do better and ensure these departed magnificent servants of our Club are embraced, supported, and compensated for the suffering they have allegedly endured. We should apologise again that relations have deteriorated to this extent where these wonderful servants of our Club were forced into making this announcement. Anyone that can’t work out what is required here just doesn’t get it. Collingwood need to get this right or risk having its AFL licence suspended or match point penalties applied.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15   

Jump to: