Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale #1,#2,#5 Captain Terry Waters (1943-2020)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:42 pm
Post subject: Vale #1,#2,#5 Captain Terry Waters (1943-2020)Reply with quote

It is with great sadness that I pass on this news. A great captain and star
of Collingwood has left us today. Vale Terry Water thanks for all the laughs ,memories. I hope the Black and Whites do you proud this week and show some ticker.

www.facebook/the hybernators
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:53 pm
Post subject: Re: R.I.P Terry Waters Captain CourageousReply with quote

3rd degree wrote:
It is with great sadness that that I pass on this news. A great captain and star
of Collingwood has left us today. Vale Terry Water thanks for all the laughs ,memories. I hope the Black and Whites do you proud this week and show some ticker.

One of the best drop kicks that you would ever see.
Another era, another world, another ghost wandering the hallowed turf of Vic Park.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad news. Terry was an outstanding player.

Leading goalkicker for us in 1963 and 1964, Copeland Trophy winner in 1966 (so close, of course, to being B&F in a premiership year), all-Australian 1969 and Captain of the brilliant 1970 side.
Boot 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:22 pm

That is indeed sad news. Terry was the captain of the mighty Pies when I first started to take notice of the VFL and chose to barrack for Collingwood because of Peter McKenna.
Not only did Terry contribute to the Pies on the ground but was one of the founding members of the "New Magpies" to take control of the football club under the presidency of Ranald McDonald in 1982 in what was a well meaning but misguided team that ruffled the feathers of a conservative club, nearly sent the club broke but started the buildup of the club to finally breaking the 32 year premiership drought in 1990.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:24 pm

Bit before my time but thank you for your service, Sir. Immortalized forever as a Collingwood Captain. RIP.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:22 pm

A great Collingwood man and a thorough gentleman

The sort of person every kid who ever played or will ever play Aussie rules can build their careers on and off the field could follow

Thank Terry and how lucky was I to be a Pie supporter and see you play
lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:54 pm

Very sad. My first captain when I started going to the footy as a kid. Vale ⚫️⚪️
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:58 pm

Vale Terry Waters, great Magpies Captain, saw him play many times,as a young teenager, great player, fantastic mark, he could take these sticky finger marks, looked like he could not mark, then somehow, hed glue it on, after bout six touches, great Leader, a real Magpie to the core.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
SteveH67 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:59 pm

I was too young to see him play, but my Dad (RIP) said Terry Waters was a very good player for the Pies during the 60s.

RIP Waters

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:05 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Vale Terry Waters, great Magpies Captain, saw him play many times,as a young teenager, great player, fantastic mark, he could take these sticky finger marks, looked like he could not mark, then somehow, hed glue it on, after bout six touches, great Leader, a real Magpie to the core.

He was a great player and by all accounts a great bloke but I am not sure that he was a great Captain. He was appointed Captain after Tuddenham was sacked for asking for better pay. My memory of 1970 was that Tuddy remained Captain in all but name.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:26 am

Vale Terry Waters. Great player and could take a great mark. Childhood memories. Condolences to his family.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:02 am

I was at Terry Waters's first game. It was against North Melbourne at Vic Park in 1963. He played at full forward and kicked 5 goals, 4 in the last quarter. We lost the game but it was a stunning debut.

Terry played at full forward for the next year or so and spectacular high marking was a feature of his game. In a purple patch he kicked 21 goals in a 3 weeks burst. Then the selection committee decided that Ian Graham should be full forward and so Terry was banished to the backline. I say banished because top line defenders are easier to find than top line forwards. In the 1966 Grand Final while Ian Graham languished at full forward Terry was pulling down marks and running off, trying desperately to get Collingwood over the line. Sadly, he was not to play in a Premiership.

At the beginning of 1970, the captain Des Tuddenham had the temerity to ask for more money. I think he got his wish but he was stripped of the captaincy. This was one of the more bizarre decisions made by the Collingwood committee. The captaincy was handed to Terry Waters. I'm not sure that he wanted it and he was unfairly blamed by some supporters for the sacking of the popular Tuddenham. But Terry proved to be an able captain and unlike most Collingwood players of that era, he had a very good record in finals.

Terry Waters is not in Collingwood's team of the century, but he ought to be. My condolences to his family.
lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Harrysz wrote:
I was at Terry Waters's first game. It was against North Melbourne at Vic Park in 1963. He played at full forward and kicked 5 goals, 4 in the last quarter. We lost the game but it was a stunning debut.

Terry played at full forward for the next year or so and spectacular high marking was a feature of his game. In a purple patch he kicked 21 goals in a 3 weeks burst. Then the selection committee decided that Ian Graham should be full forward and so Terry was banished to the backline. I say banished because top line defenders are easier to find than top line forwards. In the 1966 Grand Final while Ian Graham languished at full forward Terry was pulling down marks and running off, trying desperately to get Collingwood over the line. Sadly, he was not to play in a Premiership.

At the beginning of 1970, the captain Des Tuddenham had the temerity to ask for more money. I think he got his wish but he was stripped of the captaincy. This was one of the more bizarre decisions made by the Collingwood committee. The captaincy was handed to Terry Waters. I'm not sure that he wanted it and he was unfairly blamed by some supporters for the sacking of the popular Tuddenham. But Terry proved to be an able captain and unlike most Collingwood players of that era, he had a very good record in finals.

Terry Waters is not in Collingwood's team of the century, but he ought to be. My condolences to his family.

Nice piece. Thanks for sharing.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:38 am

Harrysz wrote:

Agreed Much Appreciated.

www.facebook/the hybernators
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:53 am

When I was about 10 Keith Burns brother who was Dads mate took me into the room before we played South. Terry was Vice Captain . Tuddy skipper and Barry price was given the job of introducing the players individually to me. Terry handed Barry a footy and said let the young fella try his hand. I met my hero P McKenna and he said how will I go today "Kick at least 10 Peter" and laughter followed. He kicked 16.1 (the 1 hit the post) and I went in after the game beaming . Terry gave me a can of coke and pastie and said "This kid is a good judge" Got a few autographs for girls who wanted them from of all people Paul Cranage and headed off home. He was a gentleman and a good footballer and memories like that stay with me forever. RIP Terry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: