Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#23 Anthony Rocca

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:04 am
Post subject: #23 Anthony RoccaReply with quote

Guernsey Number: 23

Height 195cm

Weight: 104kg

Recruited From: North Reservoir-Lakeside/Northern U18/Sydney

Debut: 1995

Date of Birth: 15 August 1977

After missing most of 2005 with a snapped Achilles tendon, Rocca played closer to goal in 2006 than he has in the past, and performed admirably for the Magpies. He led the club goalkicking for the second time (the other year being 2002), with 55 goals, the best single-season tally of his 12-year career. 34 of his goals came in the first 11 rounds, including a career-best haul of 8.0 in round two against Hawthorn, suggesting his first half of the season was sensational, however his form levelled out thereafter, apart from a bag of six goals in the round 21 triumph over Carlton. Booted five goals in big wins in round five over Port Adelaide, and round nine over the Bulldogs. The 29-year-old played his 200th game in round 16 against West Coast, and finished equal 7th in the EW Copeland Trophy voting.

Playing Honours:
Collingwood
Darren Millane Trophy (best clubman) 2002
Leading goal kicker (equal) 2002

TAC Cup
Team of the Year 1994
TAC Medal (Grand Final B.O.G.) 1994

My spiel on the big fella is as follows (and remember this is my view, not the view of anyone else)

I remember back when Anthony first came down to Collingwood from Sydney, from my memories he played CHB in his early days, and when he went up forward I always thought him and Sav got in each other's way. I guess in hindsight, losing Sav might have given Anthony the chance to prove himself in his own game, and that he did!

I was never a wrap for him when he first came to Collingwood, and it took me a good two years to warm to him, then he became one of my favourites.

The huge long bombs, the big marks and I always love the way he celebrates a goal, punching the fists into the air in delight, along with 30+ thousand passionate black and white fans!

When he did his achilles in 2005 I was absolutely devistated. I was at the game and he looked like he was going to dominate and kick an absolute bag full. Then SNAP, and out the window goes a season and perhaps the best of his career just like that!

I, to this day think that injury has had a severe effect on how he plays today. From all reports, this injury will more than likely hinder his ability to play up to the standard we all have enjoyed over the years. That is where all fans need to be mindful. The usual suspects bagging players for not being like they used to might have to take a step back on this one. But anyway, I hope he proves me wrong and comes out and has a stellar season.

He got his life membership at the AGM on Thursday night, and In front of around 600 members in the Members� Dining Room at the MCG, Anthony Rocca was acknowledged for his outstanding contribution to the Collingwood Football Club with that Life Membership.

Rocca paid tribute to coach Mick Malthouse, the Board, his teammates and his family.

Good luck in 2007 Anthony, I'm looking forward to a big year from you and the boys.

GO PIES!

Last edited by ~Madness~ on Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeeeeeez........SLACK!!!!!!!

Thats 30 seconds I'll never get back in my life.....Humphhhhhhhh!

Good work Maddy Wink

Last edited by skaman on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
redgiant Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:22 pm

Anthony now approaches 29 yo. One of the most damaging components of his game is his ability to crash the pack. This is what will open up the forward attack and bring the ball to the ground for the opportunitistic crumbers, 1, 4, 11, 6 and more recently 18. He does not grab the ball over his head anywhere near enough but bouncing on those shoulders can't be much fun....ooooch! He must preserve his body to play into his 30's and with tazza going "pet shop boys" (for the under 30's ....Go west) a missing pebble leaves a very limp attack. Getting the right mix up forward will be the challenge for MM...... Pebs, Bucks, Rus, Neon, Trav, Rogan, and a slowing Lica.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:35 am

Anthony Rocca
Superfan Luke Mason
collingwoodfc.com.au
http://collingwoodfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=players&spg=fanfile&articleid=295690

Quote:
Dubbed by many as the Magpies big enigma, Anthony Rocca was initially drafted by the Sydney Swans in 1995.

Rocca was reluctant to go to the Swans as his older brother Saverio was the then high profile Collingwood full-forward, with his younger protégé Anthony eager to join him.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:53 pm

Rocca steps aside
4:16:36 PM Tue 19 December, 2006
Matt Burgan
Sportal for afl.com.au
http://collingwoodfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=310610

Quote:
Collingwood forward Anthony Rocca concedes it was an agonising decision to step down as a joint vice-captain of the club, although he is adamant that it is the right move for all parties concerned.
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:35 pm

I heard him on the news tonight saying it was his choice but it seemed as if he wasn't too sure about his decision. Weird I thought.
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:13 pm

~Madness~ wrote:
I heard him on the news tonight saying it was his choice but it seemed as if he wasn't too sure about his decision. Weird I thought.

i think its actually a very mature and responsible idea and decision by Anthony, as he said it gives a chance for boys like Josh Fraser and Ben Johnson to step up to the plate and even a chance for Dale Thomas or Scott Pendlebury to take on leadership roles...

it will also help his personal output on the field and will give him less to worry about in his twilight of his career...
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:18 am

I suppose it has to happen in order for the future of the club to climb up the ranks.
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:52 pm

Rocca on Johnno

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21076801-11088,00.html

~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:54 pm

Just to make it official. Rocca is no longer the vice captain of the club. Talk of him standing down earlier has come to fruition.

I am sure his presence will still be felt in the foward line all the same.

Gazza05 Capricorn

BRING ON SEASON 2010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:23 pm

Has there been any word on how he is travelling coming up to the start of the season ?
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:40 pm

Didn't play Friday, not sure why. Was moving freely when walking.
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:45 am

Will post Rocca's stats each week in here and a brief run down.
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:27 pm

K H P M HO T FF FA G B
8 2 10 7 0 1 0 0 0 1

I don't have much to say about the big Roc today. Apart from;

I felt the delivery in there was pathetic. The amount of times he was one out in the square and they went short, he was presenting but they couldn't get him...hmmmmm I felt I was looking at Taz reincarnated...(as in no delivery)

I felt he came good when the team came good, presenting well and taking some great grabs.

I think he will come into form... Watch this space for a big one for the big fella!!!!

ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:22 pm

thought he was almost the difference yesterday, unlike anyone did for Kangas Rocca broke the packs and set the ball up for guys like Leon, Tarks and Medders. If you cant grab it, bring it to ground.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: