Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tragedy of David Hicks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sq3 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

To all you Hicks sympathisers - would you want him living next door to you ?????

The US learned their lesson the hard way and just thought the 'out of sight out of mind' and then they tried to bomb the World Trade Center - still didn' learn - then 9/11 - OK lesson learned.

As TO said of Jeff Garcia - If looks like a rat, walks like a rat and smells like a rat - then it is a rat.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:15 pm

Yeah, way to go Sq3. Don't worry about proving it's a rat, we'll just go on gut feel. Do away with those pesky trials, they only get in the way. After all experts like your good self can come to the right decision without looking at the evidence can't you. Silly old fashioned me preferring due process to make sure our rights are protected.

Sorry Cletus, but it's not such a black and white issue. I'm no Hick's sympathiser, but I do believe that, like everyone else, he should have the right to a fair trial. And no, I wouldn't want him living next to me, but I also wouldn't want my brother/father/son locked up in barbaric conditions which breach international law without a trial, by a foreign government that preaches the need to spread democracy but curiously no longer feels the need to practice it itself. You can't protect democracy by trampling all over it, it's as simple as that.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:22 pm

divorcedpie wrote:

And you Zak - it is my understanding that generally (short of the political assassination as practiced by the USA) the accused is entitled to a fair trial and the rule of habeous corpus applies.

Axiomatically Zak if he was guilty of anything other than naivete he would have been tried.

Facts speak for themselves...

Certain peace-time rights are often subject of a derogation during a time of war or other such emergency. Habeas Corpus has been subject of such a derogation before, so its nothing new.

The IRA situation is an example of where a 'quasi-permanent' emergency or 'state of war' has been considered to validly have lasted despite the protracted time period for which such rights are being purportedly derogated.

The rights one enjoys during a time of peace is not the same as one has during times of conflict or emergency.

And as for the 'facts' speaking for themselves...i really dont see how thats possible given that there are no facts available, only supposition.

The fact that he is yet to receive a trial is in absolutely no way an indication of either guilt nor innocence.

If it was, are we to assume that the countless of guilty people walking the streets worldwide are innocent simply because there isnt enough of a case to be made against them?
divorcedpie 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:37 pm

Zak

Appreciate your slick words.

Facts is facts tho bro!

Five years locked up, beaten, violated and denied human rights.

Starved him too.

This is NOT the same as guilty people walking streets but no case can be made. This guy has been in prison.

You may not like it but let's face it this thread has hit a chord with my readership - as at 5.28 pm - 33 replies and 237 viewers.

These threads are the threads that had to be sed (excuse phonetic spelling).

Why defend the indefensible as Rude said they should GTFO - he has been there. Not sure you have

By the way exactly what contribution have you made to the course of humanity today - apart from the long lunch you had today!

There are facts with Hicks - we all know them - hiding behind a - we dont know the facts is exactly what gave Hitler his chance.

I suggest to you - develop a social conscience and allow the Nicks readers (most of whom appear to be extremely poorly educated) to express themselves re a topic that goes beyond the usual well done today johhno/luke you are a champ type crap.

I tried to elevate this site and this is the thanks I get.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:42 pm
Post subject: Re: Tragedy of David HicksReply with quote

divorcedpie wrote:
At this time of year one's mind turns to things metaphysical - that and a lot of drinking and eating of course.

I have been surprised by how many ordinary Aussies seem to care for what happens to David but the Federal Government do not.

At the risk of being political I propose that WE UNLEASH the power of Nicks to bring down a hailstorm of protest re this travesty of justice.

Young David just wrong time wrong place but what has he done wrong?

Post here your suggestions how we can help David.

I will start the ball rolling when the Pies are 97 points up at the 10 minute mark of the third qrter Joffa holds up a giant Free David Hicks sign - wrapped in barbed wire (or good replica)

You keep on coming back so often I think someone needs to wrap YOU in wire Razz

Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:53 pm

divorcedpie wrote:
Zak

Appreciate your slick words.

Facts is facts tho bro!

Five years locked up, beaten, violated and denied human rights.

Starved him too.

This is NOT the same as guilty people walking streets but no case can be made. This guy has been in prison.

You may not like it but let's face it this thread has hit a chord with my readership - as at 5.28 pm - 33 replies and 237 viewers.

These threads are the threads that had to be sed (excuse phonetic spelling).

Why defend the indefensible as Rude said they should GTFO - he has been there. Not sure you have

By the way exactly what contribution have you made to the course of humanity today - apart from the long lunch you had today!

There are facts with Hicks - we all know them - hiding behind a - we dont know the facts is exactly what gave Hitler his chance.

I suggest to you - develop a social conscience and allow the Nicks readers (most of whom appear to be extremely poorly educated) to express themselves re a topic that goes beyond the usual well done today johhno/luke you are a champ type crap.

I tried to elevate this site and this is the thanks I get.

Haha, there is nothing wrong with the Nicks readership...this is a football forum, everybody comes here to talk about football...don't think just because most others don't start ridiculously off-topic threads that the people who post here are poorly educated.

Last edited by Zakal on Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:53 pm

Sounds very much like your full of yourself and self importance Taxm..er...divorcepie. Counting your thread replies smacks of someone who definately needs a real life. Trying to elevate this site!?
F*&# sake. If you had half a brain you would at LEAST put it on the right forum. How about elevating yourself over there, or maybe even starting your own ELEVATED site for the like minded. I for one are very happy with this site, and if you really are a first time poster *cough, cough(15 Dec), you have way overstepped the mark critisising the education and standards of the posters.
Bottom line. We like it. Its great. You dont...then please @#*& off.

I feel that you really want this reaction to satisfy your own belief you are actually an important person. Either way, you are going about it the totally wrong way.
Nothing wrong with your argument re: Hicks. Pros and cons on both sides. Just your attitude and damn right bombastic style.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:06 pm

Hear hear Skaman Smile
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:55 pm

sq3 wrote:
To all you Hicks sympathisers - would you want him living next door to you ?????

The US learned their lesson the hard way and just thought the 'out of sight out of mind' and then they tried to bomb the World Trade Center - still didn' learn - then 9/11 - OK lesson learned.

As TO said of Jeff Garcia - If looks like a rat, walks like a rat and smells like a rat - then it is a rat.

The US hasn't learned the hard way, they trained Bin Laden and ignore that fact in their spin. They are trying to wave a magic wand and bring in their democracy while occupying another country ala Vietnam. It won't happen public opinion is turning against Dubya, Blair and Howard. They never learn and people keep on dying. All the US have done is given these fanatical Muslims a cause to die for and go to paradise.

Lets give Muslims a country so they can kill themselves, now thats a solution, oh but it cannot have oil on it. Laughing
JBJ 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:19 pm

Mods, where are you?? Can we get rid of this rubbish.....and poster?
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:02 pm

Why isn't this thread in general discussion? Smile
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:19 am

The David Hicks saga has demonstrated that the ETHOS... of a fair go to all which we all claim is uniquely Australian is well and truly dead.
Well done Howard!!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:38 pm

JBJ wrote:

If you don't like it, don't read it. Go and watch Australian Idol, their waiting for you.. Laughing
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:20 pm

JBJ wrote:

We don't spend all day on here reading threads...if you report the thread, we get email notification, which most of us have on for a greater part of the day. Posting a complaint in a thread isnt the best way to gain attention.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:33 pm

That is a generalization.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: