Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Christmas spirit?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

maggies_4_eva wrote:
I'm not saying I agree with what those thugs did but looking at it from a different angle.......my husband stopped once to help a young girl who had broken down on the Tulla Fwy. She cried and screamed out Rape, so he just left her there.

I'm afraid I would never stop for anyone.

Dont believe that for one moment...sorry!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:30 am

why not? lol
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:31 am

Didaicos wrote:

... My sister's car broke down 2 weeks ago-No fewer than 5 cars slowed down and asked to see if she was ok ...

Is she young and good-looking? Yes? I thought so.

How many do you think would have stopped if she'd been ugly or old?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:32 am

Are you still located in it? What time is it there?
bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:42 pm

David wrote:
What do you reckon the reasons are? Because it is very true that we have become a very selfish society. Some might blame the rejection of religion, I don't know if that is the case or whether it even makes sense, but at the moment there don't seem to be any answers and it's probably only going to get worse.
rejection of religion means absoloubte jack shit. As a non believer a religiousless person if I saw someone in desperate need I would help them. As wood many others. However there are just so many equally bad people in the world as well.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:51 am

bazdaddy I'm not talking about individuals, I'm talking about how it affects a society and its attitudes... yes it would also seem to be incongruent with my own lack of religious belief, but I have seriously wondered whether a rejection of religion by a society is linked to decline of moral standards, among other things. Not necessarily the case, but it may be so.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:55 am

Proud Pies wrote:
more examples of human nature.....and up to 60 witnesses, but not one offer of help.

"Seconds later, 15 to 20 blokes came from nowhere and started punching and kicking my husband and our friend," Alexis said.

Oh come on guys, get a grip on reality.

Who is realistically going to walk up to 15 or 20 people and offer to help the guy who is getting bashed? I wouldn't. I'd call the cops, but I certainly wouldn't step in.

What do you think sells news? More often than not...bad news. What will the TV show before good feeling stories....again, bad news. Why do you think they show a good news story at the very end of each news broadcast? For every bad news story, there is 10 good news stories that aren't told.

In regards to the original post, that is probably unfortunate, though who knows what the exact circumstances were, and if anyone actually saw her. Yes, the guy that robbed her is scum, however, I don't think this is an overall reflection on society. Oh, and if the same thing happened ten times over, I reckon that 9 out of those ten times, someone would probably stop.

Beyond that, I guess it is an indictment on the legal system that people are scared to stop, often due to the legal implications if they do something wrong.

Btw, Joffa, I believe nurses are obligated to help. I'd have to clarify that with my gf, but I seem to remember her saying that she is obligated to help someone that is in distress - something that she has had to do several times, ie. people fainting etc.

I guess my point is, people are capable of great good, but also capable of the very bad. Society has always been like that, but now there is greater information, and greater scrutiny from the media et al, than ever before.

(If anybody can make sense of that, I think you will understand what I'm getting at)
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:18 am

I think its called "duty of care" Joel. Im in the same boat being a Snr first aider. Also there is something called the Good Samaritan Act, where Im sure that people have been charged with for not providing assistance, where/ when needed. Fine line to know what to do sometimes!
I know if I was faced with the situation, I wouldnt second guess any consequences and offer aid. Hoping if I was ever in a "situation" ,I would be offered the same courtesy!
Must have faith in your fellow man/woman, otherwise where do we stand?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:41 pm

It is a common misconception that nurses are required to render assistance in such circumstances

There is no legal requirement for nurses to do so in common law or under the requirements of the Nurses Act - as a nurse of course I would feel a moral obligation to do so without hesitation - however it is a personal choice

Once a nurse does so then a duty of care arises as it would to any person who stops and the Good Samaritan Act comes into play (in Victoria this is called the Wrongs Act)

Good Samaritan legislation protects the person who has stopped to render assistance from liability at law unless the act done or omitted in rendering medical aid or care is seen to be truly reckless or grossly negligent.

There are varying laws for Medical Practioners depending on the jurisdiction e.g in the NT failure to render assistance may consitute a legal offence and in NSW there are sanctions applied under the Act governing medical practice

Perhaps working in the Health system gives me a jaundiced view of human nature Crying or Very sad

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:58 am

Ahh ok, fair enough. I probably missed that point when the gf was telling me.
maggies_4_eva 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:46 am

joffa corfe wrote:
maggies_4_eva wrote:
I'm not saying I agree with what those thugs did but looking at it from a different angle.......my husband stopped once to help a young girl who had broken down on the Tulla Fwy. She cried and screamed out Rape, so he just left her there.

I'm afraid I would never stop for anyone.

Dont believe that for one moment...sorry!

Then that's your problem.
maggies_4_eva 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:53 am

Just last night my car ran out of petrol about 10 klm from home. It was getting dark then and it was sure dark by the time I walked home.
Not one person stopped or offered any help and I had to walk along a main highway.
If anyone had have stopped, I wouldn't accepted the ride anyway.

Just the way society is now I guess.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:53 pm

Why would anyone stop for someone walking on the side of the road? Again...I wouldn't. If I knew the person I would, but if I didn't, I wouldn't offer them a lift.
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:14 pm

If I can, I help. I have two young daughters and I would hope someone would help them so I stick with you reap what you sow.

Last edited by Pa Marmo on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
eddies bank balance 

evolving-unlimited-intellect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:16 am

Sunday, I noticed a merc pulled up on side of the road. The boot was up and exposed the 'reflective safety triangle' to simulate "broken down". I asked the female driver if she would like some assistance, she replied "well yes, if you know how to change a tyre". I started to empty the boot to get to the spare wheel, one item I removed from the boot was a box of home grown tomatoes. I passed comment on how juicy the tomatoes looked. Whilst changing the tyre she told me that, their business supplied "particular" markets with organic fruit & vegies. Now, I stopped to offer help out of kindness and free will, But as soon as I saw those juicy tomatoes I wanted to be rewarded (with tomatoes). I walked away empty handed. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: