Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tony Shaw news....

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 9:58 pm
Post subject: Tony Shaw news....Reply with quote

Most of you will see it in the Hun, but for the benefit of out of towners...
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,3531941%255E11548,00.html

shaw is looking to take up a coaching role at Ess...

Interesting news on Adrian Fletcher tacked onto the end of the story. seems like we will gain something from his experience after all.

the story is....
Pie hero may get Dons coaching role

04jan02

COLLINGWOOD premiership captain Tony Shaw has been interviewed for a coaching role at Essendon.

It is believed Shaw, now a media commentator, is one of three former AFL players seeking to become player development coach.
The others are retired Geelong on-baller Garry Hocking and current AFL staffer Kevin Morris.

Another candidate is expected to be interviewed before an appointment is made at the end of next week.

Bombers coach Kevin Sheedy has already spoken to Shaw, Morris and Hocking.

Morris, who has been an assistant to Sheedy at Windy Hill, is thought to be favoured for the job, although Shaw's credentials are impeccable.

Shaw played 313 games for the Pies, including the famous 1990 flag over the Bombers. He then coached Collingwood from 1996-99.

The player development role, made vacant by Dean Bailey's departure for an assistant's role with Port Adelaide, will mainly involve the teaching of VFL players.

ADRIAN Fletcher is expected to accept a player development role with Collingwood and play for Collingwood's sister club Williamstown in the VFL.

It's believed the former Docker rejected a coaching offer from Maffra and will accept his new job at Victoria Park as early as Monday.

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... I sincerely hope that Tony Shaw can be every bit as successful on the coaching staff at his new club as he was on the coaching staff at Collingwood.

floreat pica
My Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" is now available for viewing and/or downloading at http://alf.magpies.net

[This message has been edited by Dr Alf Andrews (edited 04 January 2002).]
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 7:50 am

I hate to say this,but they are meant for each other.The PIES had no success when Shaw coached the PIES,so Sheedy deserves him.
Talking od recruiting, (which we arent) I noticed that Nathan was showed in the croud of the Hopman Cup last night in Perth.
The commentator said'Wecome to Nathan Buckley,Collingwoods successful captain.....wounder what he is doing in Perth'
Caytch you all later

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
Black_White 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:05 pm

Much as I dislike what the "Shaw" years meant to our mighty club, and the fact that sour grapes means he continues to critisize all things CFC, I truly believe that this is what Tony should have done when he first retired.
If he had gone to 1 or 2 other successful clubs I'm sure he would have been a better coach and recruiter for us.

-Craig

FAITH

molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:35 pm

Good luck to Shaw. Just think if we hadn't got the wooden spoon in 1999 we wouldn't have got such a fantastic player in Josh Fraser for 2000 and beyound.

So even tho I don't like Shaw's anti collingwood attitude, his poor coaching job gave us a great pick for 2000.

If I have got any info wrong I apologise.

Jarrod Molloy RULES!!!!
NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:36 pm

haha!
Yes please! Piss off to Windy Hill!

May you stuff them up for years as you did to us!

"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
AJ 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:48 pm

Good luck to Tony if he takes up the position. Am I the only person here who doesn't dislike Tony Shaw? I know that he can be critical of our boys, but he is paid to be unbiased. I think it can be frustrating at times to listen to after a loss, but I don't believe that people should trash our 1990 Premiership captain, Past Copeland Trophy Winner and Games Record holder (among other honors) so much. Gavin Crosisca took up an assistant role at the Roos, Mick Malthouse came from the Eagles - this isn't an era to bag people if they take up roles at other clubs after they finished at another club. The man is and always will be a Collingwood Legend - get off his back.

Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:48 am

Like AJ I am very fond of Tony Shaw. The coach can't make a great winning side out of a smattering of champs amongst honest tryers. I thought Shaw did a great job at the beginning. We were losers but toughed it out well when we didn't have the talent to match the opposition. I remember Shaw saying he would gladly step aside any time as coach if it was for the good of Collingwood. I think towards the end he became so frustrated by the lack of success that it got to him...he figured that you can win if you put your mind to it, but it just didn't work...mainly because everyone else at this level of sport knows and applies that same principle too.

foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 10:51 am

exactly. he said he'd step aside if he was unsuccessful, and he didn't.

he was a bad coach and a pathetic recruiter. he's lucky that eddie allowed him to leave the job in such a dignified way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: