Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dutch, Ban the Burka!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if the fact that nobody has commented on this is because no matter what side you take, or what you say on this subject, you'll be crucified as rascist.
TurkishPie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:58 pm

The burka is not actually an Islamic dress. It is a cultural item.

Having said that, in a free and democratic society, governments should not be telling people what to or what not to wear.

I wonder will nuns be next on this Dutch 'regimes' radar.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:30 pm

Gotta love the Dutch, you can walk into any coffee shop, buy 10 pounds of hash an smoke it then go sleep with a hooker who's parading herself half naked behind a shop window or if your not in the mood just walk into a theatre and watch them do it live on stage..
providing that people can see your face.

I find it quite bizzare that one of the worlds most liberal societies would want to dictate to its citizens what it can and can't wear Confused

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:16 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
i wonder if the fact that nobody has commented on this is because no matter what side you take, or what you say on this subject, you'll be crucified as rascist.

if you're right, what a shame that people are so scared to give their true opinions... why be ashamed of your own opinion Razz
Personally, I don't care if I'm classed as a 'racist' by someone I've never even met. Because I know I'm not, and that's enough for me.

Anyway, my view on the issue is that it's a bad move on the part of the Dutch government, I honestly can't see how a woman walking around in a burka is offensive, surely that is their choice to do so. I suspect the motivation behind these comments is simply part of an attack on religion in general. In a liberal society, religion should be allowed to be practised freely as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, so the Dutch government are actually attacking the rights of the individual here.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:15 am

I must be missing something here - we want to rant and rave if anyone dares suggest how WE should dress but then are happy to impose our ideas on how others should dress based on what we believe is acceptable?

I don't ever recall any IRA or Ulster men wearing a Burka, nor Timothy McVeigh, nor the 9/11 terrorists, nor the Bali bombers

Suggesting that all women who wear the Burka are terrorists and wear it only for the purpose of wreaking havoc is as insulting as suggesting women dressed scantliy are asking to be sexually assaulted

Welcome to a new kind of tension
All across the alien nation
Where everything isn't meant to be okay
Television dreams of tomorrow
We're not the ones who're meant to follow
For that's enough to argue

Well maybe I'm the $%^$^ america
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda
Now everybody do the propaganda
And sing along in the age of paranoia

TurkishPie 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:30 am

Morrigu wrote:
I must be missing something here - we want to rant and rave if anyone dares suggest how WE should dress but then are happy to impose our ideas on how others should dress based on what we believe is acceptable?

I don't ever recall any IRA or Ulster men wearing a Burka, nor Timothy McVeigh, nor the 9/11 terrorists, nor the Bali bombers

Suggesting that all women who wear the Burka are terrorists and wear it only for the purpose of wreaking havoc is as insulting as suggesting women dressed scantliy are asking to be sexually assaulted

Very good post brother.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:37 am

Makes you wonder what the Dutch will do about full-face motorcycle helmets?

Sadly, it appears that the War On Terror To Support Freedom will actually cost us the freedom to wear what we want.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:37 am

I think they're actually trying to use the feminist argument against the Burkha by referring to it as a medieval symbol of the oppression of women. What they fail to grasp, or prefer to ignore, is that many Muslim women find their traditional clothing empowering ... as indeed did many Catholic nuns.

Very strange move coming from the Dutch, of all people.

bucksisgod Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:05 pm

It's a fashion thing....Burqa's just don't go with clogs.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:08 am

TurkishPie wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Very good post brother.

Sister TP Laughing

I bought and wore the common dress of Moroccan women - a kaftan like garmet with a hood - the name escapes me Embarassed - last time we were there and it was fantastic, comfortable and actually quite liberating - so I can well appreciate what you say Dr Alf

As a motorbike rider who favours a full face helmet with a tinted visor - well bloody hell we can't all ride Harleys and have the "open face " cool dude look surely Shocked - I'll have to beome lawyer or an accountant if that is the case and grow fringes on my leathers YUK!

TurkishPie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:09 am

My sincerest apologies Morrigu. I should have realised from your nickname. I'm sorry.

Also, I think the the Moroccan garment you are refering to is the djellaba.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: