Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The VICTORY experience

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoia Virgo

didak's number 1 fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

yer i thought i heard somthin mick out the front, i was in medallion club last night could hear u guys
Dark Lord Capricorn

He's back...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:51 pm
Post subject: Re: The VICTORY experienceReply with quote

joffa corfe wrote:
A flair was dispatched after the first goal with two mins to go giving the victory the victory.

WOOOOOOOOOOO!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist... Wink )

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:31 pm
Post subject: Re: The VICTORY experienceReply with quote

joffa corfe wrote:
was a dream come true... at long last i witnessed what a dedicated bunch of fans can do together without the petty jealousies and stupid bitching,

I've never experienced the petty jelousies, and stupid bitching at the footy. I don't think the problem lies with CFC, or AFL football. As people become more involved in things, they see problems, or things that didn't annoy them previously.

Last edited by Joel on Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
creedymagpie Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:40 pm

bazdaddy wrote:
If the game of the year is a game where the only goal was scored in the 82nd minute then that's got me stuffed.

I suppose thats why its so difficult to get people who have been force fed AFL to embrace Football. Over the years i have heard so much shyte from 'Oh they should get rid of the Offside rule' and 'There isnt enough scoring'. The thing is when you are used to a game where there are goals scored every 2 minutes it may be hard to get your head around a game that may not produce a goal in the whole 90 minutes. But then again in Cricket you have to watch a game for 5 days before getting a result and nobody complains about that. i like to take people along to Victory games, teach them the rules and teach them what real support is about.

Us Lads in the South End just sing for the entire game, we just have a good old laugh and then out sing the opposition supporters even if we lose. We prove every week that Pom Poms and Floggers mean sweet FA when it comes to support.

WKB 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:07 am

bazdaddy wrote:
If the game of the year is a game where the only goal was scored in the 82nd minute then that's got me stuffed.

This is a perfect example of being uneducated. Not in the scholastic sense but in the knowledge of soccer.

You asked earlier how that is being uneducated and you keep answering your own question.

It's basically saying once you follow the sport more closely, get to know the intricacies of the game, you are being educated in the sport. A result of this is you can watch a game that is 0-0 after 82 minutes and not be bored simply because there has been no score.

There are equivalents in AFL, there are super low-scoring games that are brilliant. The 2003 qualifying final against Brisbane is a fantastic game but it was incredibly low scoring.

You obviously don't like soccer and don't really want to which is cool, i'm yet to be convinced that Baseball is an interesting game, a great game and everyone cheers when there is a shut out from a pitcher, I don't get the idea of cheering zero hits of the baseball. This is because i'm 'uneducated' in the minute elements of what makes baseball so popular.
bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:54 pm

creedymagpie wrote:
bazdaddy wrote:

I suppose thats why its so difficult to get people who have been force fed AFL to embrace Football. Over the years i have heard so much shyte from 'Oh they should get rid of the Offside rule' and 'There isnt enough scoring'. The thing is when you are used to a game where there are goals scored every 2 minutes it may be hard to get your head around a game that may not produce a goal in the whole 90 minutes. But then again in Cricket you have to watch a game for 5 days before getting a result and nobody complains about that. i like to take people along to Victory games, teach them the rules and teach them what real support is about.

Us Lads in the South End just sing for the entire game, we just have a good old laugh and then out sing the opposition supporters even if we lose. We prove every week that Pom Poms and Floggers mean sweet FA when it comes to support.

I've always admired the support of soccer, infact I love it, but the game it self doesn't interest me. I just don't understand how watching it for so long where there is such a strong possibilty of a 0-0 draw can be exciting.

As for cricket I can understand how people find that boring, even as a cricket lover, it's perfectly understandable but there is still always something happening.
Quote:
This is a perfect example of being uneducated. Not in the scholastic sense but in the knowledge of soccer.

You asked earlier how that is being uneducated and you keep answering your own question.

It's basically saying once you follow the sport more closely, get to know the intricacies of the game, you are being educated in the sport. A result of this is you can watch a game that is 0-0 after 82 minutes and not be bored simply because there has been no score.

There are equivalents in AFL, there are super low-scoring games that are brilliant. The 2003 qualifying final against Brisbane is a fantastic game but it was incredibly low scoring.

You obviously don't like soccer and don't really want to which is cool, i'm yet to be convinced that Baseball is an interesting game, a great game and everyone cheers when there is a shut out from a pitcher, I don't get the idea of cheering zero hits of the baseball. This is because i'm 'uneducated' in the minute elements of what makes baseball so popular.

I don't nessacarily believe it's about being uneducated about the game, because I understand the game, the rules and such, just not the notion of enjoying 0-0 draws etc. As for baseball that's uniquely boring.

creedymagpie Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:56 pm

bazdaddy wrote:
but the game it self doesn't interest me. I just don't understand how watching it for so long where there is such a strong possibilty of a 0-0 draw can be exciting.

I respect anyones decision not to like the game and to not get excited about it, but as someone who has been brought up loving AFL and Football i suppose i just get sick of the same comments from people who hate everything about Football, but you seem to just not be appealed by it which is fine.

Yes most 0-0 draws can be dull affairs, but if 2 top sides play out a 0-0 draw more than likely it would have been a top game, its not all about scoring, watching a defence is sometimes even better than watching attacking players. Last week my side Tottenham beat Chelsea, if anyone saw Ledley Kings run and tackle on Robben will agree with me that is just as good as seeing a goal for a neutral fan.

I was listening to SEN1116 last night and heard this complete knob called Pete say how he couldnt believe how the game of the season could be a 1-0 result (Melbourne vs Adelaide), he said he couldnt watch for 83 minutes before watching a goal. People like that p*ss me off completely as they are narrow minded and have no attention span.

Dark Lord Capricorn

He's back...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:58 pm

I've been watching the Victory games on Foxtel, but I really want to go to one of the matches soon.

Love your avatar, creedy! Smile

Didaicos Libra

The Macedonian Marvel = The Croat Confoundment!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:59 pm

creedymagpie wrote:
bazdaddy wrote:
but the game it self doesn't interest me. I just don't understand how watching it for so long where there is such a strong possibilty of a 0-0 draw can be exciting.

I respect anyones decision not to like the game and to not get excited about it, but as someone who has been brought up loving AFL and Football i suppose i just get sick of the same comments from people who hate everything about Football, but you seem to just not be appealed by it which is fine.

Yes most 0-0 draws can be dull affairs, but if 2 top sides play out a 0-0 draw more than likely it would have been a top game, its not all about scoring, watching a defence is sometimes even better than watching attacking players. Last week my side Tottenham beat Chelsea, if anyone saw Ledley Kings run and tackle on Robben will agree with me that is just as good as seeing a goal for a neutral fan.

I was listening to SEN1116 last night and heard this complete knob called Pete say how he couldnt believe how the game of the season could be a 1-0 result (Melbourne vs Adelaide), he said he couldnt watch for 83 minutes before watching a goal. People like that p*ss me off completely as they are narrow minded and have no attention span.

My main gripe with football (soccer) is the way many say that AFL has no skills. Excuse me to mark and kick accurately an oval shaped ball does take skill.
The diving gets to me as well.
All other things are ok

RANT OVER!

SWAN'S GOING TO KICK A GOAL. THEY'RE HOME YOU'D THINK I KNOW IT'S A LONG WAY TO GO BUT THEY'RE KILLING THEM NOW!!
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:21 pm

I would consider myself anti soccer in that I cannot watch a game of soccer unless I feel some passion towards one of the sides, I could never sit through a Sydney v QLD or even a premier league game, but thats why I love the Victory, finally a team for all Victorians to follow and they are great to watch. Aussies doing well has helped as well, I watched every minute of every Aussie world cup game, thats a first for me.

I understand where people come from when complaining about the game, I am the same but if can find some passion for one of the teams then its very exciting as you sit on the edge of your seat for 87 minutes knowing the later it gets that if they sneak one through you are finished whilst 1 goal now will probably win the game, its a whole different game to AFL and alot less chance of going in the final qtr of the game with no chance of victory
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:31 pm

ill give u the hot tip.

if ur going to come to the soccer. go to aisle 48 or aisle 1. thats where all the excitment is.
creedymagpie Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:41 pm

-magpies are 2 good- wrote:
ill give u the hot tip.

if ur going to come to the soccer. go to aisle 48 or aisle 1. thats where all the excitment is.

Nah man, the 'South End' is where you want to be, an 'Ole' free zone!

spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:50 pm

Let me start of by saying that I have an enormous passion for both AFL and Soccer, so my view is not biased at all here! However Soccer in this country has a long long way to go before making headway into AFL!

Firstly, the new A League is still relatively new here and therefore there is a wave of enthusiasm that goes with that! If you look at the example of Victory and the 22,000 they got, yes thats a good crowd, but lets not forget one thing, they are winning at the moment! Look at some of the other crowds and you will see that some are no where near it.

Secondly, there has been a wave of enthusiasm with Australia in the World Cup and that has certainly added bums on seats. The interesting part would be to see what happens if Australia failed to qualify for the next world cup. All of a sudden, soccer would be consigned to eight pages from the back again. Have a look how far back soccer is in the Herald Sun. You can clearly see there is a pecking order!

Thirdly and more importantly, soccer will never ever prosper unless it receives backing from one of the big commercial TV stations! Channel 7 years ago bought the rights to soccer and made a concerted effort to destroy the game by showing games at 11:30pm at night! Well you can bet your bottom dollar that both 7 and 10 won't be going out of their way to do soccer any favours and 9 seems to have no interest in the game!
bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:25 pm

spoljar wrote:
Let me start of by saying that I have an enormous passion for both AFL and Soccer, so my view is not biased at all here! However Soccer in this country has a long long way to go before making headway into AFL!

Firstly, the new A League is still relatively new here and therefore there is a wave of enthusiasm that goes with that! If you look at the example of Victory and the 22,000 they got, yes thats a good crowd, but lets not forget one thing, they are winning at the moment! Look at some of the other crowds and you will see that some are no where near it.

Secondly, there has been a wave of enthusiasm with Australia in the World Cup and that has certainly added bums on seats. The interesting part would be to see what happens if Australia failed to qualify for the next world cup. All of a sudden, soccer would be consigned to eight pages from the back again. Have a look how far back soccer is in the Herald Sun. You can clearly see there is a pecking order!

Thirdly and more importantly, soccer will never ever prosper unless it receives backing from one of the big commercial TV stations! Channel 7 years ago bought the rights to soccer and made a concerted effort to destroy the game by showing games at 11:30pm at night! Well you can bet your bottom dollar that both 7 and 10 won't be going out of their way to do soccer any favours and 9 seems to have no interest in the game!

exactly right! perfectly said.

creedymagpie Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:30 pm

spoljar wrote:

Agree with the comments about TV rights, which maybe why Ben Buckley has been given the job by the FFA. The Herald Sun pisses me off with the fact they give the game no exposure. Example when Melbourne beat Sydney with a crowd of 40,000 the Sun gave the game a third of a page 10 pages in and didnt even comment on the scorers, while the Melbourne Storm got 2 whole pages while attracting only 13,000 to their game on the same evening.

I dont so much agree with the World Cup point though. Yes the World Cup has brought a lot more people into watching and being interested watching the game but lets face it, Football has been coming on strong for a while. In this country it has always been 'Unfashionable' to play and follow Football, since the introduction of the English Premier League to pay TV things have really changed, i put a lot of it down to that as well.

Also our big crowds may have a bit to do with our form, but lets remember that Melbourne were the only team without a sub 10,000 crowd last season, so even though we were not playing that well last season we were still getting good crowds including 3 sellouts (one of them sold out 24 hours before kick off), i dont think we can say we are getting good crowds because we are winning, we proved last season that fans will come out and watch the game, even better now we have the best Stadium in the country to play at . But in saying that your correct about looking at other teams crowds, Perth are the ones im worried about, in the NSL they were getting sellouts each week, now they are on a par with Newcastle and CCM for crowds. Adelaide, Roar and Sydney are a way off Melbourne but still get decent crowds.

Melbourne and Sydney were the 2 main population Hubs that the FFA needed the game to succeed in if the new league was going to work, it has, and now other things need to be looked at such as- NZK, New teams, getting rid of the shyte finals system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13   

Jump to: