Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sheik Disgrace

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucksisgod Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:51 pm
Post subject: Sheik DisgraceReply with quote

The victims of Sydney's vicious gang rapes are today leading the national condemnation of Sheik Taj el-Dene Elhilaly after the leading Islamic cleric excused their attackers by denouncing women for not wearing veils.
Sheik Hilaly quote " If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside on the street (and) the cats come and eat it......Whose fault is it, The cats or the uncovered meat? The uncovered meat is the problem.If she was in her room, in her home, in her hijab, no problem would have occured."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20650643-5001021,00.html

Evolution has passed him by. Knuckle dragger. Disgraceful.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What made me laugh was this Keyser Trad dude.
Sheik says: "then comes a merciless judge who gives you 65 years..."
His spokesman says [paraphrasing] "What he meant to say was that the judge should show no mercy"

Comical Ali has a new rival, by the looks of things.

bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:59 pm

David wrote:
What made me laugh was this Keyser Trad dude.
Sheik says: "then comes a merciless judge who gives you 65 years..."
His spokesman says [paraphrasing] "What he meant to say was that the judge should show no mercy"

Comical Ali has a new rival, by the looks of things.
That was classic, in the different languages it was a different story...wat a joke.
TurkishPie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:08 pm

David, actually what Trad said does make sense. When translating from Arabic to other languages these sorts of problems are encountered regularly. If anything, the rapists got off lightly, as the punishment for rape under Islamic Shariah law is the death penalty.

The comments made by Hilaly were uncalled for even if they have been taken out of context. He really needs to re-evaluate and reassess some of the things that come out of his mouth, as there are ill-willed people out there who are going to deliberately misinterpret him and quote him out of context.
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:28 pm

Out of context? You have GOT to be kidding.

I'd deport the asshole

TurkishPie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:52 pm

You have obviously read or listened to the 17 minute sermon in its entirety.
leelee Scorpio

Live. Love. Race.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:53 pm

What annoys me the most is... They're in OUR country, yet the still preach their laws and traditions etc at us. We dress the way we do because we have for hundreds of years, they expect us to wear all sorts of things when we visit their country, they're just lucky that we don't make them all don bkini's and strut around on bondi! Its an absolute joke! They should mind their own business or go back home. Nobody is forcing them to stay!
bucksisgod Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:40 pm

The fact that he compares women to" uncovered meat" is offensive and indefenceable in any context, I don't have to listen to a 17 minute vitriolic, sexist diatribe from the Sheik to convince me of that. Context? How is that acceptable in any context?........Pfft. Interesting article below by a respected Muslim journo from the Telegraph in Sydney... Irfan Yusuf. Don't think he believes the sheik was taken out of context either.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/opinion/story/0,22049,20650652-5001031,00.html

Last edited by bucksisgod on Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:02 pm

Quote:
She is the one who takes her clothes off, cuts them short, acts flirtatious, puts on make up, shows off and goes on the streets acting silly. She is the one wearing the short dress, lifting it up, lowering it down, then a look, then a smile, then a word, then a greeting, then a word, then a date, then a meeting, then a crime, then Long Bay Jail (laughs), [then comes a merciless judge who gives you 65 years...]
But the whole disaster, who started it? The Al-Rafihi scholar says in one of his writings, he says: "If I receive a crime of rape - kidnap and violation of honour - I would (word unclear) and teach him a lesson in morals, and I would order the woman to be arrested and jailed for life."

TurkishPie wrote:
David, actually what Trad said does make sense. When translating from Arabic to other languages these sorts of problems are encountered regularly. If anything, the rapists got off lightly, as the punishment for rape under Islamic Shariah law is the death penalty.

In the above quote, try fitting Keyser Trad's interpretation of that sentence, in context.
So, the Shiek says that the man deserves far more than 65 years in jail, and then follows this up by quoting a scholar that states that the man involved should be taught a lesson in morals, while the woman should be sent to prison for life.

Makes sense, doesn't it Rolling Eyes

admittedly, the fact that there is a missing word there does show that the translation is not perfect, but Trad does this quite often - the Shiek says something outrageous, and Trad tries to fix the damage by claiming that he said, in most cases, the complete opposite. How gullible does he think we are?

leelee wrote:
What annoys me the most is... They're in OUR country, yet the still preach their laws and traditions etc at us. We dress the way we do because we have for hundreds of years, they expect us to wear all sorts of things when we visit their country, they're just lucky that we don't make them all don bkini's and strut around on bondi! Its an absolute joke! They should mind their own business or go back home. Nobody is forcing them to stay!

I'm going to have to disagree with you here Lee. You can't put all Muslims in the one category just because of one sheik's comments. Look at the backlash against this comment, particularly among Muslim groups.

Still, El-Hilaly has got away with this stuff for ages, and I'm amazed that he still has apologists.

Last edited by David on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:03 pm

What is it with religious hierarchy? So many out of touch with modern society and its values
leelee Scorpio

Live. Love. Race.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:11 pm

I wasn't trying to put all muslims into 1 basket. Its just that i am a true blue aussie, and i don't like people coming into my country and telling me how to live. I know he is only 1 case, but there have been more in the past. Its just dissapointing... tis all
TurkishPie 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:44 am

David wrote:
Quote:
She is the one who takes her clothes off, cuts them short, acts flirtatious, puts on make up, shows off and goes on the streets acting silly. She is the one wearing the short dress, lifting it up, lowering it down, then a look, then a smile, then a word, then a greeting, then a word, then a date, then a meeting, then a crime, then Long Bay Jail (laughs), [then comes a merciless judge who gives you 65 years...]
But the whole disaster, who started it? The Al-Rafihi scholar says in one of his writings, he says: "If I receive a crime of rape - kidnap and violation of honour - I would (word unclear) and teach him a lesson in morals, and I would order the woman to be arrested and jailed for life."

TurkishPie wrote:

In the above quote, try fitting Keyser Trad's interpretation of that sentence, in context.
So, the Shiek says that the man deserves far more than 65 years in jail, and then follows this up by quoting a scholar that states that the man involved should be taught a lesson in morals, while the woman should be sent to prison for life.

Makes sense, doesn't it Rolling Eyes

admittedly, the fact that there is a missing word there does show that the translation is not perfect, but Trad does this quite often - the Shiek says something outrageous, and Trad tries to fix the damage by claiming that he said, in most cases, the complete opposite. How gullible does he think we are?

Hilaly was quoting the Al-Rafihi scholar, just as the Pope quoted the Byzantine Emperor. And more than likely the reference to the Al-Rafihi scholar was made at a different stage during the sermon, not necessarily in the order depicted by the newspaper. In any case, it is remarkable how such a critical work is "unclear". I think Hilaly's following comments give us an indication of what that missing word might be "Let me state for the record ... that rape in our religion is considered a crime whose punishment is execution.'' I will try and find you the correct translation of the sermon so that we can discuss this further.

Having said all that, I have never been a fan of Hilaly's because he clearly lacks the ability to communicate his message accross to the audience without causing controversy. I think it's time he resigned from his post as Imam of Lekemba Mosque.

Also, Irfan Yusuf is a male.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:22 am

TurkishPie wrote:
You have obviously read or listened to the 17 minute sermon in its entirety.

have you?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:14 pm

Tess, this isn't a Christianity v Islam argument.
This is about El-Hilaly, primarily.
Besides, we all know that most of the major religions are in favour of the male's 'sovereignty' over the female. So there's nothing particularly surprising in those verses.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:31 pm

I guess the problem is, the shiek is supposed to represent the Muslim community of Sydney, or whatever. So his views are a lot more worrying.

Obviously there are extremes in different religions (although I've yet to hear the leader of a Christian denomination state something similar), but if someone high up in one of the major churches said the same thing, I am sure there would be the same outrage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: