Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Strange Tenants review 21/10/06

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:02 pm
Post subject: Strange Tenants review 21/10/06Reply with quote

This a review of arguably Australias greatest ever Ska band the Strange Tenants at the RNA showgrounds, Brisbane, 4ZZZ Marketday. 21/ 10/ 06.

This is a totally biased, unabashed acknowledgement of one of our fellow Nicksters "Rudeboy", Bruce Hearn, and his brother Ian. Like us, diehard and passionate Pie fans.

Firstly, my background. I'm a Burwood boy and during Ska's great reign, particularly the mid eighties, I was a Rudie (rudeboy) and a ska skin(head). I joined the Army in 1981, but continued with a ska radio show in Townsville called Ska Trek (4TTT). I have always stayed true to the ska cause to this very day with all the changes of skas so called 1st, 2nd and 3rd waves.
I first saw the Strange Tenants, probably their first ever gig proper. The Lygon St. Festa . They rocked, and I was sold. As I've stated to Bruce and Ian, I've likened what was happening in Oz at the time to what was happening in England.
eg. Strange Tenants were the "Specials" of Australia, with their raw political overtones and their sometimes haunting beats. Examples that come to mind, Hard times, Soldier boy, I work at my machine. They were also upbeat as well , Just what you need, Big red bus, Yeah, something like that. The song that probably everyone usually remembers and probably had the most "airplay" even with non ska nuts was probably Killer Zombies. It was an extremely popular song that I have seen been covered by numerous bands. If the Tenants were the Specials of Australia, No Nonsense / Allniters were the Madness of Australia, with perhaps Melbournes Escalators being The Beat. Other ska bands at the time were Loonee tunes, The Hangovers, Leftovers, Pork Hunts (later to become the Porkers). They were truly skankin' days. If anybody wants an example of that era, thoroughly recommend Ska Skank downunder Vol.1 and 2.
The gig:
It was a loooooong day an Ol' Skaman was getting a bit gorillas. It was both drizzly and dusty, lots of cool, cleansing ales were consumed by yours truly, but after tolerating ample doof, doof bands and heavy metal chunder. I was ready to skank. 7.00 pm came. Familiar grins came to the stage. Slowly but surely, between the pixied faced, fluro wearing, non desciptoes, familiar surroundings I have missed for oh so long ,appeared. Old and new converts appeared in droves. Then, as if on cue, as if for all these years, time had stood still. The infectious beat of ska had begun..and like how!. It was like Steve Martin had given me his "happy feet"!You just could not avoid skankin' to the melodious rhythms. Ska was king again!!!! Cool
These guys are the greatest example around. They are older now..hey so am I. (and didnt I pay for it the next day!), but I may as well been back at the Aberdeen pub in ol' Melbourne town 20 years ago. The boys played their guts out, the first time as Bruce said, in ages they have played 3 nights in a row, but didnt they produce the goods...damn straight!!! They played for 45 minutes, played some new songs. They never lost track of the crowd for one second. It seemed like 5 minutes and left everyone wanting more.
On a personal note, I would like to thank Bruce and Ian in particular for being absolute champion blokes and great mates, but more importantly giving such joy over 25 odd years to countless people of all standings, whether they be Joe public, rudies, skins, mods...whatever! Their music and style was and is what brings us all together.
People on this great Nicks site, I can vouch both Bruce and Ian are just as passionate for everything Collingwood as they are for their music. Listen to Grey skies over Collingwood, and you can almost feel the old "itchy", woolen Pies jumper chaffing at your neck as you walk down any of Collingwoods backstreets. Its guys like this and I'm sure many of you others out there that make Collingwood great.
Keep up the good work Tenants, may you play long, loud and proud, I'll be keeping in touch and raring for a Pies get together.

Cheers,

Rob Flintoff (aka SKAMAN)

Check out the Strange Tenants website, also their new cd box set (lots of live stuff), and keep on skankin' Cool

(Apologies, cant seem to get the 2 current, on the night stage photos up!..may come later.)

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brucey (Rudeboy). Nick another rudeboy from my old neck of the woods fondly remembers you 6th Oct 1990, playing Good old Collingwood forever, on your trumpet, in the Sherrin stand....top stuff!
Wish I could remember. All I remember was climbing up and down the goalposts like a ferret. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by skaman on Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:02 am

OK, heres a try. 2 Pics from the Marketday gig 21/ 10/ 06.

oh #@*&...too big...sorry Mad I wish I knew what I was doing!!!!!!
Yarra Falls End 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:37 am

Ah Skaman why does it not surprise me you posting about Strange Tennants.

Great stuff and photos. I remember the Tennants playing at O week at Melb Uni in 1983.

I mighT just go out and buy their new CD.It had a write up in the Age Green Guide a week or two ago.

Did you know Weddings,Parties, Anything did a cover of Grey skies over Collingwood on their Donkey Serenade CD?
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:03 pm

Great Work Skaman! Loved the little intro I can still picture my old Leftover's Record with " Drinking Lemonade" on it!

www.facebook/the hybernators
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:21 pm

Thanks guys for all your comments. An especially big thanks to skaman for his generous review of our gig. However, I must fess up to the fact that when he told me he was doing a review I gently reminded him that we knew where lived! We've just completed a mini national tour to celebrate our 25th anniversary and launch our new CD 'Rude Celebration'. If anyone's interested, check out our website www.strangetenants.com

I also want to say that not only did I play "Good Old Collingwood Forever" in the Sherrin stand back at Vic Park after our glorious victory in 1990, but I was so smashed that I decided to climb one of the goal posts with my trumpet over my shoulder and play it from the top of the post. The crowd was madly clapping in time as I inched my way up the post, but unfortunately I was so drunk that I could only get about half way up when I started to slip down the post like it was a greesy pole. The crowd booed me as I slipped down and collapsed in a heap on the hallowed turf at the foot of the goal post. I can remember the St Johns ambulance rushing over to me to check my heart beat, as I was having a small asthma attack. They asked if I was alright, and I remember answering "Alright! Of course I'm alright we've won the f*ckin' flag", and then singing our theme song.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:52 pm

Ha Ha Brillant Spewing I missed you guys at the Corner Bruce I saw you guys the Espy those shows were great as well keep it up guys " Something Like That" definitely my favourite Tenants song. That gig you did back at the Old Greek Theatre in the 90s was great!

www.facebook/the hybernators
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:13 pm

When the St. Johns guy came over to attend to you Bruce, exclaiming "are you having a heart attack". You, as sharp as a tack, should of turned around and pointed, "Yeah, something like that!"

Yarra, ..oh Yarra! Whats happening with our Hammers mate...and what about that dirty (once idolised by moi), biting Defoe?

Yeah love WPA, didnt know they played grey skies. Cant possibly be sung with the same passion though mate....the lead singer is an AINTS supporter!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: