Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Williamstown vs Geelong - Preliminary Final TEAC Oval 17/09

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAJH Libra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Was somewhat disappointed with the game yesterday, not simply because we lost but for other reasons. Firstly, listening to Brad GOTCH on SEN on the way to the game he made some very unusual comments about the selections for the day. Basically, he said certain players such as Fanning, Rusling, Egan and others who have qualified to play weren't selected due to others who had played more games during the season. I know this sounds a bit vague in its' description, but to me, I would have thought you field the strongest possible team on the day with all/any personnel that are available to you. In hindsight we can now say with no hesitation that Geelong capitalised by playing 19 senior AFL listed players to our 12. On the age-old complaint of umpires...it continually staggers me how some of these blokes get paid to do their job. I believe I am resonably conservative when it comes to umpiring decisions and not blatantly one-eyed as many are, but to witness the constant garbage these blokes blow the whistle for (against both teams, not just Willy) is beyond description. As WKB referred earlier to a decision against John ANTHONY on KINGSLEY was just rediculous. Ok, at the game we see the decisions called in real time as the umpires do, but let's not forget these guys in orange are "trained professionals" who get paid to make the calls as they see them, many times "us" the public may disagree with the calls but we can be 100 metres from the play where as the umps and 'on the spot' and most times should, without any doubt, make the right call. Having said that, I watched the game I had recorded when i got home and had the luxury of replaying and playing in slow-motion some of the umpiring decisions. I am not trying to be over critical here about umpiring technicalities, just plain and simple man on man decisions- nothing complicated about it, yet the orange fraternity want to make it complicated by calling against a player who is simply making a contest, yet there were many, and I mean many infringements that were NOT called called, one in particular in the 3rd quarter a Geelong player had his head over the ball, Shannon COX came straight at him, hit him head high - no free kick. Another crap decision was COOK from Geelong late in the game, the ball was bouncing around like aerial ping pong - no real possession by anyone, very scrappy play. COOK finally managed to get a grip on the ball, immediatley got slung to the ground by 2 or 3 Willy players and gets pinged for holding the ball! Absolutely no chance to get rid of it let alone having real possession.There is no consistency or logic in the way the game is umpired today. I accept they are trying to stamp out some of the unnecessary rough play or illegal tactics but for god's sake leave the game alone. It has become a game of umpiring not a game of football.
I won't go into individual player's performances from the game, there's enough already been said by others.
From me to all of you guys and girls it's been an interesting season for both the Pies and Willy, pity we couldn't end it on a better note. I hope you have all enjoyed the photos I have taken and posted up for all to see, it's been my pleasure to do it. Have a great 'off-season', Merry Xmas, Happy New Year, Happy Birthday and anything else I might have missed.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:56 pm

Tell your boy to put his head down and work his arse off preseason because many of us on here can see him slipping into the ones in the not too distant future, and it won't matter who is considered in front of him in terms of experience. Work hard, the sky is the limit.
etcetc 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:35 pm
Post subject: Don't let facts get in the way of a good excuseReply with quote

JAJH wrote:
Was somewhat disappointed with the game yesterday, not simply because we lost but for other reasons. Firstly, listening to Brad GOTCH on SEN on the way to the game he made some very unusual comments about the selections for the day. Basically, he said certain players such as Fanning, Rusling, Egan and others who have qualified to play weren't selected due to others who had played more games during the season.

I don't believe "another week" Richards played more games than Fanning. Fanning got "rested" in the winning quarter against the Bullants a couple of weeks ago because he gave away a few extremely dubious/soft, yet costly, early free kicks.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:01 pm

Guy Richards has always played ahead of Fanning with Meyer as backup in games we have played 12/10, dont forget we were limited to the 12 players whilst Geelong were not. But the other players Gotch is full of shit, didnt want to tell the truth that they either

A) Didnt take Geelong seriously and were planning for the grand final
or
B) They didnt give a shit about Williamstown

John, thanks for the photos this year they have been superb each week and good luck to John jnr next year, spots have opened up in the Pies backline now so lets hope he takes his chances and secures one of those spots next season
etcetc 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:42 pm
Post subject: Gotch-aReply with quote

eddiesmith wrote:
Guy Richards has always played ahead of Fanning with Meyer as backup in games we have played 12/10, dont forget we were limited to the 12 players whilst Geelong were not. But the other players Gotch is full of shit, didnt want to tell the truth that they either

A) Didnt take Geelong seriously and were planning for the grand final
or
B) They didnt give a shit about Williamstown

I realise that Richards had "seniority" on Fanning, but what Gotch said was he selected based on the number of games played. Geelong had 19 listed players playing and what was apparent to me, was the lack of height up forward for the Seagulls.
WKB 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:51 pm

JAJH you hit the nail on the head with the umpiring. Whilst the ones that go against your team always stand out more, there is no doubt that every week some obvious decisions are missed for both sides. I'll stand by my claim that in my years following Williamstown I don't remember us being on the good end of umpiring whether we win, lose or draw. I say that because when you lose the umpiring decisions against you always stand out and it often sounds like sour grapes and looking for excuses. But just this year JAJH will back me up when I say in games Williamstown have won by 10 goals we've have been crucified by the umpiring.

I can't put it any clearer than saying watching VFL umpiring actually makes you want to watch AFL umpiring to see a better standard (and we know how poor that is).
Snoop Dog 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:04 pm

WKB -

I have seen around half a dozen Willy games this year and Cook has not impressed in any of them. I know he has had some good games but he was nowhere near it on Sunday. Coach did not seem to be that rapt in him either hence why he sat on the pine for most of the day. Its academic anyway - he has another year.

Re Stanley - as I said - he has all the attributes and looks like he can play. Just seemed out of his depth on Sunday. Notwithstanding the old man has been saying the club is rapt in him which I am delighted about.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:13 pm

I have noticed Cook once and he was sensational, didnt drop a mark all day and had a chance to kick 10 goals
WKB 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:44 pm

Snoop Dog wrote:
WKB -

I have seen around half a dozen Willy games this year and Cook has not impressed in any of them. I know he has had some good games but he was nowhere near it on Sunday. Coach did not seem to be that rapt in him either hence why he sat on the pine for most of the day. Its academic anyway - he has another year.

Yeah no doubt it was one of his poor games on the weekend so your call on that was spot on. And the one thing Cooky needs to do is to bridge that gap between the games that you've obviously seen when he was a non-factor, to other games such as the one eddiesmith mentioned when he is at everything, marks superbly for a bloke his size and can kick goals. At the moment I think it would be fair to say he needs to find that middle ground so that when things aren't going spot on he can still contribute. But upon saying that he's a kid in his first season at an AFL club so i'm willing to give him more than a season to prove himself, when he was on song it showed that he certainly has the talent available.
blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:54 am

Just watched the replay on Fox. First Williamstown game I've seen. Loved the 'up close and personal' viewing with the huddle talks etc.

Agree with some of the stuff on players others have mentioned. Cox looked real good. He backs himself alright. Could have a bit of Mcleod in him. And Nicholls reminded me of Tony Francis.

I hope Pendles doesn't get the 'lazy' tag put on him. His hands are great, tackles well, and gets himself out of trouble most of the time. Nothing wrong with his kicking either. Put him on the ball next year in the firsts.

WKB 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:24 am

blackandwhite4life wrote:

I hope Pendles doesn't get the 'lazy' tag put on him. His hands are great, tackles well, and gets himself out of trouble most of the time. Nothing wrong with his kicking either. Put him on the ball next year in the firsts.

I'm completely biased when it comes to Pendles and I've always said that, but I really think this kid has everything a footballer needs. I'll defend him to the death almost as I'm sure a lot of people get lazy confused with casual. He certainly has a casual style but not in the 'he isn't caring' casual, more in the mould of summing up situations, not rushing himself, creating the uncreatable space and making the best, not first, option.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:07 am

favourites 2006 wrote:
Anthony - 6-7/10 tried all day is the future of the backline.

Yakka - 7/10 was very good in the centre found the footy a fair bit and used it pretty well.

Davies - 5/10 showed his fitness by running the game out very very well, however was missing for most of it. I think he was played out of position.

Toovey - 6/10 thought he was fantastic. Really ran hard and played back and dont think he had a goal kicked on him.

Nicholls - 7/10 loves to run and deliver, what we really need at collingwood. Size might be a problem but seems to rack them up. Also is front and centre where good rovers should be.

Rowe - 2/10 Delist

Cook - 5/10 limited opp but when he was on did some good things. That mark in the second qtr was great.

Stanley - 5/10 built like brick sh*thouse, will be a god player, just needs to find more of the ball

Cox - 8-9/10 was so so good. Provided a mountain of run out of the backline, has come on in leaps and bounds, all he requires is a big preseason. He was the biggest positive out of the game

Pendlebury - 8/10 Im sold. Thought he was super. You have to remember its his first year. Didnt have a great first half but was very creative in the second.

Richards - 1/10 Delist.

Fully agree F06 on all but Richards. His game was definately 1/10 but I'm not convinced we should discard him just yet. Let's wait and see what trade week brings.
virgomag 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:40 am

A great season by all the young fella's in their first year. Fingers crossed Danny Nicholls get's lifted from the Rookie list in 2007, he has really impressed me, he try's hard all day and he's a tough little bugger with pace and that nice little touch of mongrel. I would luv to see him in the mid-field for the Pies. He could very easily develop into the type they need especially with Scotty Burns heading towards the end of his career.

Guy Richards surely does have his lovers and haters doesn't he? Get Damian Monkhurst down for some ruck training, I think he'll be great.

All the very best to those who are selected for the seconds this coming weekend and I sincerely hope all the Magpie supporters go and cheer them on. The media claim there's no footy in Victoria........... get down and watch these rising stars give their all !!
okjoe 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:40 am

Eddiesmith
Well done, sticking up for the kids. What short memories other people have? Ryan Cook is very young & had time off thru an injury. Lets see what the coming season brings when all the draftees mature. Let's encourage them all instead of bagging. They are our future.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:52 am

Good news for Willy fans is atleast 2 of the umpires from Sunday's game didnt make the grand final even though 1 of them was supposed to be the no2 umpire in the league
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: