Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL Wins Drug Supression Case

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvlicca Virgo

Oh Nicky your so fine, your so fine you blow my mind!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

the three players that were named in the site off google, how true is it though.
One player I have always been suspicious of but the other two I would never have put into the equation.

Edit by Ld for mods...no names here thanks, satisfy your curiosity elsewhere...cheers!

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:02 pm

Does that mean Fairfax are anti supressants?
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:10 pm

It's their call (the AFL), they need to protect their brand, but it seems the cats has found its way out of the bag, in terms of names.
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:02 am

Johnson#26 wrote:
It's their call (the AFL), they need to protect their brand, but it seems the cats has found its way out of the bag, in terms of names.

And what exactly is ' Brand '
The ' Brand ' has allready been damaged by the fact that it has been proven these guys are repeat drug offenders.

I dont like it i think the whole thing stinks...

Scenerio

Collingwood snare a high profile draft pick in exchange for other draft picks and cash or whatever.....Whilst at Collingwood this high profile draft pick is caught using drugs for the third time and is expelled from playing AFL football............who compensates the Collingwood Football Club.

And why does the AFL deem its players to be treated differently to drug users in main stream society...if the AFL came out and said we have sent these players to Detox or a strenuous drug rehab programme i would have no problem...

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:12 am

Killbot wrote:
The horse has long bolted

The night "The Footy Show" showed the names posted on an internet site is when the AFL lost all credibility in fighting this matter

Even now you only need to search in google and you can find the 3 names within 5 seconds

AFL = protecting illegal drug users

Agree

Its the Laurel and Hardy show the AFL and the direction it is going is in real trouble i think its time for a few big heads to stand down and give the game back to the people...its nothing but a joke!!

Syd_Magpies_Girl 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:58 am

The public and AFL supporters have a right to know who these people are. If it was a Collingwood player, I wouldn't want my hard earnt money going towards a sponsorship for a player who takes drugs and is breaking the law.

At the same time, everyone has the right to be protected. But it's the case of pot kettle black I think....look at what the media did to Taz! Did anyone step in and stop it?

Exactly...

They are both situations yes, but to be protecting DRUG USERS who have broken the law is a lot worse than someone who decided to have a late night out FFS.

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:08 am

Who cares!!!!! We all know who these 3 players are - we dont need Caro plastering it on the front page of The Age....
Syd_Magpies_Girl 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:24 am

It's who you all think you know who it is. That is it. It'd be laughable if those who posted up the photos and names of the players on that website were completely wrong.

Personally, my only problem comes down to those who pay sponsorship to those players, it's a real let down for them and the club supporters.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:32 am

What sort of drugs were we talking about though? If its marijuana then that's hardly performance-enhancing, and thus I don't know why they're even testing for it in the first place. It's also not our business, no more than if our players smoke or drink (at home).
Syd_Magpies_Girl 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:37 am

If it's performance enhancing drugs it's a bit worrying. But Dave, smoking marajuana and taking eccies brings you down (yeah unfortunately I know from experience - I am an idiot and I learnt from my mistakes before anyone flames me. Admitting drug usage is actually a big thing). Marajuana is proven to decrease your memory abilities and performance, it makes you tired and lethargic, and stays in your blood for up to 4 weeks, which makes it easily detectable. Ectasy causes major comedowns, personality failures, severe depression, mixed up eating habits. Hell, I remember I wouldn't eat for 2 - 3 days on end and just drink Red Bull when I made those mistakes. It is not good for you. Either way, enhancements or recreational drugs are as bad as each other in their own ways.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:51 am

I agree, but my thought was that if the players choose to ruin their own lives that's their own business, and if it affects their playing ability negatively than the club should deal with it internally. No need to shame them publicly.
Syd_Magpies_Girl 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:02 pm

Yeah I definately agree, that is their business, however having said that, back to my original response, what about those who pay sponsorship for these players? Are they going to be notified that they are paying good money for someone who is potentially taking illegal performance enhancing or recreational drugs? Drugs are a political issue, whether its from steroid use to heroin usage. Giving three warnings to players gives me the impression that they don't give a crap about the games reputation and that it's about the money.

Either way, I'm glad someone stuck it to The Age for once. I'm not sure whether the AFL winning the case is a good or bad thing though...it is concerning either way.

KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:23 pm

If a well known television person checks into a drug dependency centre and submits for voluntarily screening you would not expect that centre to divulge the person's name. You would not expect that centre to forward the person's details to police so they could prosecute. As a matter of drug treatment policy, no medical centre or testing lab would ever consider this the right thing to do.

The AFL are not the drug squad. This was off season testing that was voluntarily submitted to on the understanding that results would be used in a certain way. The emphasis of the program was basically drug intervention and education based on harm minimisation - absolutely NO different to any community drug program. It wasn't a name and blame policy and shouldn't retrospectively become one.

People saying the players got special treatment is ignorant nonsense. Similar community drug programs are operating everywhere.

Quote:
if the AFL came out and said we have sent these players to Detox or a strenuous drug rehab programme i would have no problem...

For those who haven't read the code, a snapshot is available here:

http://www.aflpa.com.au/media/illicit%20drugs%20policy%20final.ppt

In summary,
1st POSITIVE RESULT = Player enters into an approved confidential treatment and rehabilitation program co-ordinated by the AFL medical officer. If the player consents, the Club doctor is notified.

2nd POSITIVE RESULT = Player must enter treatment and rehabilitation program as above, but AFL medical officer discloses to Club doctor (without player consent), but the matter remains a confidental medical one.

3rd POSITIVE RESULT = guilty of breach of rules, faces tribunal, 0-12 week suspension (and publicly disclosed as a result).

Where did the AFLPA agree, on behalf of its members, to publicise a first or second positive result, keeping in mind this was a illicit drug intervention program and not a witchhunt?

I accept that there is a valid argument that publication would exonerate anyone falsely accused of taking drugs and that there is a general right to know but this needs to be balanced against the competing considerations. A right to know doesn't exist in the abstract.

The court found that the public's interest in knowing was outweighed by the competing consideration of confidentiality in the information. Confidential information does not necessarily lose that status if it is made public. That is a matter of law. The court has made its decision relying on relatively uncontroversial principles of law. It's no big deal.

The person who deserves to be punished most out of this entire debacle is the person or persons who released the names in the first place. They were in a position of trust and confidence and abused it.

Syd_Magpies_Girl 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:00 pm

*Drum Roll*...Greg you've twisted my arm big time. I'm a half and half on this.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:14 pm

I second that, very well put case Kypreo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: