Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

RIP: Freedom of Speech on Nicks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Phantom 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The real robert walls gets to talk a lot more crap elsewhere.

Can we get him banned instead please?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:36 am

That Robert is an interesting guy.
KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:23 am

It's not a public forum. It's a privately run forum that allows other people to post publicly, subject to following the rules set down by those that run it.

You can say whatever you like....on your own website that you pay the hosting fees for.

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:00 pm

KYPREO wrote:
It's not a public forum. It's a privately run forum that allows other people to post publicly, subject to following the rules set down by those that run it.

You can say whatever you like....on your own website that you pay the hosting fees for.

WRONG again

It is very much a public forum because anyone can access, if it was locked and only accessed for members only then it would be a private forum..sorry just thought that needed clarification Smile

KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:51 pm

With respect, I disagree. A truly public forum would be one in which you could post and view all topic areas without registering. In order to post, you must agree to the terms of use of joining.

This is part of the message that comes up when you register to post here:

Quote:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, defamatory, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. ...You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. ...

The code of conduct of this bulletin board is available from a link marked 'The Rules' in the menu at the top of each page. You agree that you have read and will abide by these rules.

You have to click "I agree to these terms" before you can post.

The forum software is hosted on rented servers. The hosting service is the landlord, the admin are the tenants, we are the guests....or something like that Laughing

It's a private forum, but most of the forum is on publicly displayed. Wink

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:56 pm

KYPREO wrote:
With respect, I disagree. A truly public forum would be one in which you could post and view all topic areas without registering. In order to post, you must agree to the terms of use of joining.

This is part of the message that comes up when you register to post here:

Quote:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, defamatory, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. ...You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. ...

The code of conduct of this bulletin board is available from a link marked 'The Rules' in the menu at the top of each page. You agree that you have read and will abide by these rules.

You have to click "I agree to these terms" before you can post.

The forum software is hosted on rented servers. The hosting service is the landlord, the admin are the tenants, we are the guests....or something like that Laughing

It's a private forum, but most of the forum is on publicly displayed. Wink

Anyone in the public and or internet world whichever you like can read it.....it is well and truly a very public forum.

maggies2003 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:54 pm

joffa corfe wrote:
maggies2003 wrote:
Its a public forum peoples... Which means we can say what we want when we want.. But unfortunately that isnt the case...

That attitude will one day be the death of all football fansites..of course we all have a right to an opinion but when that opinion defames or publicly hurts another person that opinion has indeed crossed the line.

Hey if you want to bag the shit out of someone sign your real name at the bottom of the posting... then i have no problem Wink

Im not only talking about bagging someone.. i saw a couple of days ago a girl was trying to raise money for a 40 hour famine, and something was moderated from her post.. i may be wrong but thats simply an example..

I know that it is paid for by a minority and i appreciate the fact that people dedicate their time to it.. Abusive posts should not be tolerated, but sometimes moderation is taken too far..

cheers..
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:24 pm

It was moved to the correct forum - as per the rules. How can you judge the way something is moderated if you don't even know the circumstances?
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:35 pm

London Dave wrote:
Tim's from Tasmania, right?

Yep, Northern Tasmanian.

As for the topic freedom of speech exists only if you express your freedom of speech inside the rules RWNR couldn't adhere to the forum rules, and was removed. This forum like everywhere else has rules you cannot come along and say things that break the rules, and if you do so, you are punished.

It's that simple.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:43 pm

There has never been freedom of speech on Nicks, this is a dictatorship run by ruthless bastard mods who care about nothing but themselves....(all wording from this post has been lifted from PM's to me over the years)...goodnight!

Cheers

Besides, this is not and never will be a public forum it is a Collingwood Forum for Supporters of Collingwood...morons who try and push their opinions onto other people and continually do nothing but tarnish the name of the Greatest Club on earth deserve all they get on here, including banning...really they should think themselves lucky that is all they get because if they sprouted half the crap on a Tram or a train home from the footy that they do here they would get their heads kicked in....

Cheers (again) wait..no that's all

Cheers

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:11 pm

Eunos wrote:
Fair enough Joel, you like to stay neutral. well neutral with a bias. But 3 yellows in 10 minutes at 2 am, you reckon thats unbiased? Or even fair? Right of reply?

'Fairness' and 'unbiased' are concepts that live in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has the right of reply, by emailing the mods as a group. Despite what some people believe, the mods aren't out to 'get' anyone. Then again, if people interpret the 'rules' in a different way to the mods group, they'll more than likely see themselves as victims in some kind of a plot, when in reality they simply can't see past their own viewpoint.

Take my word for it, there is no 'plots' to 'get' anyone. I'll repeat that, just for emphasis. Take my word for it, there is no 'plots' to 'get' anyone. If you dont believe that, well, there's no point going on, is there?

If it was me getting 3 yellows at 2am, I'd probably like to think I'd have the good sense to piss off after getting 2 by 1.59 and deal with it after a kip. Then again, perhaps, 2am isn't the best time of day one would expect to be having moments of clarity.

Eunos wrote:
Like it or not, the mods do owe their members some idea of why these decisions are made. Constantly using "the rules" without explaining specifics, only makes them look cowardly and unable to defend their actions.

And people get them. Whether the poster agrees with the mods call, is perhaps the point of contention here. In general, cards are issued after discussion with other mods....sometimes there is a time lag, due to most of the mods living in a far flung corner of the earth, existing in different time zones. On occasions, a mod may take , how could one say, a shoot first policy, if they feel immediate action is warranted. Again, these actions are, as all actions, up for review. I recall sometimes these decisions stick, on others, they are changed. At the end of the day, decisions are reached with the consesnsus of the mod group. It may seem cowardly and indefensible to you, but i'd suggest your interpretation of the 'rules' probably comes into play here. Perhaps you should read them again, especially

Quote:
Moderators will endeavour to contact and explain their actions to a member whose post has been moderated, however, the moderation team has the right to edit or remove any post at any time with, or without, comment or explanation. The determination of what is construed as abuse, defamation, vulgarity, spam, etc. as noted in these points is the responsibility of moderation team members and not users.

Pay particular attention to the last sentence.

Eunos wrote:
Plenty besides myself will attest to one mod in particular and his abuse of power, both in yellows and via the PM system. When the policemen are unable to police themselves, who will police them?

I'd think you should try reading,
Quote:
Members who feel they have been unfairly warned can contact the moderation team and request the warning be withdrawn. The moderation team can withdraw a warning they feel was unfairly issued. The group decision is final. Contacting individual group members over warning matters is not allowed and may result in an additional warning.

I'd really think you look for, and consequently see things that aren't there. There is no 'abuse of powwer'. There is, perhaps, a disagreement between yourself and the mods group regarding how and when posts are edited, deleted etc. How the hell is that an abuse of power? Like I said before, there is a process to follow if you, or anyone else feels they've been victimised. Email the mods as a group.

And don't start on your 'policing the police' bullshit.....again. What are you, the self appointed 'conscience' of the board? Last time you started riding that particular horse, you'll recall things started to spiral out of control. Remember? You disappeared into a turgid miasma of your own making, seeing plots and counterplots, smoking guns and secret handshakes that weren't there, an alternative reality if you like. No one needs to police the police, if you don't like the way the board works, fine. Find somewhere else that's more in tune with the way you like things run. Don't take this as a threat for you to leave. It isn't. If you don't like Paris in August, don't go there.

joffa corfe wrote:
Well i get attacked Sad
My postings get hijacked by the regulars and usually without provocation and usually with nastiness... who is looking after me joel ?

The mods do Joff. Unfortunately, as none of us have hit billionaire status yet, we are forced to work day jobs, thus, we sometimes can't respond immediately. Sometimes, you've just gotta nick off and have a cup of tea with an iced vo vo, and settle back in the arm chair with a good book. I'm reading England my England by Gerry Hanson at the moment. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Eunos 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:36 pm

LD......seriously....a few facts.

You say
Quote:
the mods aren't out to 'get' anyone

As a group, maybe not. But why does one continually edit my sig? And he only does it on selected posts, not across the whole forum. Do all of the mods support this "harassment? If so, why no PM's on the issue? Why no editing by other mods?

You say
Quote:
If it was me getting 3 yellows at 2am, I'd probably like to think I'd have the good sense to piss off after getting 2 by 1.59 and deal with it after a kip.

Hope you can look up your own records. It was not me on at 2am. I was a long time having the stated kip. It was in fact your own mod who was, in your words;
Quote:
2am isn't the best time of day one would expect to be having moments of clarity.

I agree with that. So why were these yellows given to posts that were done over several hours, several hours before midnight.

Check your own records before slandering me please.

Eunos - official NBB sniper by appointment. Proudly sniping since 2001.
PM for a quote.

Screenshot taken for truth.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:46 pm

Eunos wrote:
LD......seriously....a few facts.

You say
Quote:
the mods aren't out to 'get' anyone

As a group, maybe not. But why does one continually edit my sig? And he only does it on selected posts, not across the whole forum. Do all of the mods support this "harassment? If so, why no PM's on the issue? Why no editing by other mods?

Like I said, Take my word for it, there is no 'plots' to 'get' anyone. I'll repeat that, just for emphasis. Take my word for it, there is no 'plots' to 'get' anyone. If you dont believe that, well, there's no point going on, is there? I'll even stress the point...no 'plots' to 'get' anyone, either by individual or as a group. If you can't get your head around that idea, it's bloody pointless debating the issue with you. As I pointed out previously,
Quote:
"Then again, if people interpret the 'rules' in a different way to the mods group, they'll more than likely see themselves as victims in some kind of a plot, when in reality they simply can't see past their own viewpoint."

Other mods edit. delete etc, all the mod actions are logged, just looking at the list, in the last 24 hrs, myself, WPW, magfan, NP have edited/deleted/moved posts. A fair percentage i'd suggest, without PM or message in the post.

I suggested you read the rules, but obviously this passed you by
Quote:
Moderators will endeavour to contact and explain their actions to a member whose post has been moderated, however, the moderation team has the right to edit or remove any post at any time with, or without, comment or explanation.
(My emphasis.)

As for your 'sig'

Quote:
Members are also asked to respect the bandwidth of other users and sites. The use of inline ([img][/img]) image tags pointing to data stored on third party systems to which the member has not received permission to link may be removed.

and

Quote:
Avatars and signatures are subject to the same conditions as posts with respect to respect, decency and defamation. We understand that your signature is a branch of your creative personality, but there are limits which must be observed. Signatures dramatically increase load time on the page so we ask you to keep your signatures a reasonable size. We do not allow pictures as part of your signature for the same reason. Members are not to make real or implied references to other members in their signatures or avatars without the permission of that member. If your signature and/or avatar is deemed to be inappropriate or excessive, you will be contacted by a moderator about fixing it. If you fail to handle this responsibility, a moderator will fix it for you and you will be warned.

so, it's the last time you add
Quote:
Eunos - official NBB sniper by appointment. Proudly sniping since 2001.
PM for a quote.

Screenshot taken for truth.
or anything of a similar ilk to your posts. Got it? can't make it any simpler than that.

Eunos wrote:
Quote:
If it was me getting 3 yellows at 2am, I'd probably like to think I'd have the good sense to piss off after getting 2 by 1.59 and deal with it after a kip.

Hope you can look up your own records. It was not me on at 2am. I was a long time having the stated kip. It was in fact your own mod who was, in your words;
Quote:
2am isn't the best time of day one would expect to be having moments of clarity.

I agree with that. So why were these yellows given to posts that were done over several hours, several hours before midnight.

Check your own records before slandering me please.

Slander? Don't maske me laugh. how pretentious of you. Everything is directed at you your poor bastard. try removing the chips off your shoulder for a minute. Where did I say or infer it was you on at 2am. You raised the point, I said if it was me, I'd piss off to bed. As I pointed out before,
Quote:
"Then again, if people interpret the 'rules' in a different way to the mods group, they'll more than likely see themselves as victims in some kind of a plot, when in reality they simply can't see past their own viewpoint."

The incident you refer to was dealt with by the mods. End of story. I, for obvious reasons, can't go into details, but I can assure you action was taken. If you think every time we collectivley fart you deserve notification, you've got a distorted view of how things work here. You can either believe what I've said, or carry on living in fantasy land. I don't give a shit where you reside, but I'd reckon life is easier out of the ivory tower than in it.
maggies2003 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:58 am

Joel wrote:
It was moved to the correct forum - as per the rules. How can you judge the way something is moderated if you don't even know the circumstances?

As i said i could be wrong all i knew was that the thread was changed. didnt know how... i dont have a problem with moderators.. enough said..
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:30 am

London Dave wrote:
Eunos wrote:
Fair enough Joel, you like to stay neutral. well neutral with a bias. But 3 yellows in 10 minutes at 2 am, you reckon thats unbiased? Or even fair? Right of reply?

'Fairness' and 'unbiased' are concepts that live in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has the right of reply, by emailing the mods as a group. Despite what some people believe, the mods aren't out to 'get' anyone. Then again, if people interpret the 'rules' in a different way to the mods group, they'll more than likely see themselves as victims in some kind of a plot, when in reality they simply can't see past their own viewpoint.

Take my word for it, there is no 'plots' to 'get' anyone. I'll repeat that, just for emphasis. Take my word for it, there is no 'plots' to 'get' anyone. If you dont believe that, well, there's no point going on, is there?

If it was me getting 3 yellows at 2am, I'd probably like to think I'd have the good sense to piss off after getting 2 by 1.59 and deal with it after a kip. Then again, perhaps, 2am isn't the best time of day one would expect to be having moments of clarity.

Eunos wrote:
Like it or not, the mods do owe their members some idea of why these decisions are made. Constantly using "the rules" without explaining specifics, only makes them look cowardly and unable to defend their actions.

And people get them. Whether the poster agrees with the mods call, is perhaps the point of contention here. In general, cards are issued after discussion with other mods....sometimes there is a time lag, due to most of the mods living in a far flung corner of the earth, existing in different time zones. On occasions, a mod may take , how could one say, a shoot first policy, if they feel immediate action is warranted. Again, these actions are, as all actions, up for review. I recall sometimes these decisions stick, on others, they are changed. At the end of the day, decisions are reached with the consesnsus of the mod group. It may seem cowardly and indefensible to you, but i'd suggest your interpretation of the 'rules' probably comes into play here. Perhaps you should read them again, especially

Quote:
Moderators will endeavour to contact and explain their actions to a member whose post has been moderated, however, the moderation team has the right to edit or remove any post at any time with, or without, comment or explanation. The determination of what is construed as abuse, defamation, vulgarity, spam, etc. as noted in these points is the responsibility of moderation team members and not users.

Pay particular attention to the last sentence.

Eunos wrote:
Plenty besides myself will attest to one mod in particular and his abuse of power, both in yellows and via the PM system. When the policemen are unable to police themselves, who will police them?

I'd think you should try reading,
Quote:
Members who feel they have been unfairly warned can contact the moderation team and request the warning be withdrawn. The moderation team can withdraw a warning they feel was unfairly issued. The group decision is final. Contacting individual group members over warning matters is not allowed and may result in an additional warning.

I'd really think you look for, and consequently see things that aren't there. There is no 'abuse of powwer'. There is, perhaps, a disagreement between yourself and the mods group regarding how and when posts are edited, deleted etc. How the hell is that an abuse of power? Like I said before, there is a process to follow if you, or anyone else feels they've been victimised. Email the mods as a group.

And don't start on your 'policing the police' bullshit.....again. What are you, the self appointed 'conscience' of the board? Last time you started riding that particular horse, you'll recall things started to spiral out of control. Remember? You disappeared into a turgid miasma of your own making, seeing plots and counterplots, smoking guns and secret handshakes that weren't there, an alternative reality if you like. No one needs to police the police, if you don't like the way the board works, fine. Find somewhere else that's more in tune with the way you like things run. Don't take this as a threat for you to leave. It isn't. If you don't like Paris in August, don't go there.

joffa corfe wrote:
Well i get attacked Sad
My postings get hijacked by the regulars and usually without provocation and usually with nastiness... who is looking after me joel ?

The mods do Joff. Unfortunately, as none of us have hit billionaire status yet, we are forced to work day jobs, thus, we sometimes can't respond immediately. Sometimes, you've just gotta nick off and have a cup of tea with an iced vo vo, and settle back in the arm chair with a good book. I'm reading England my England by Gerry Hanson at the moment. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No worries mate Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: