Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies set to draft Adrian Fletcher!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Barto 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:00 pm
Post subject: Pies set to draft Adrian Fletcher!Reply with quote

Why is all I can say?

Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

how do u know this???

please tell me it isnt true... i mean fletcher was good... many years ago... but i seriously dont think he's what the team needs now!!!

El Barto 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2001 5:55 pm

Trust me - It'll be in Monday's Age!

[This message has been edited by El Barto (edited 28 October 2001).]

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:15 am

And here it is...
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/news/2001/10/29/FFXX0SNOBTC.html

Pies may be Fletcher's fifth club

By STEPHEN RIELLY

The consequences of dual premiership player Joe Misiti's decision to remain at Essendon may not be felt at Windy Hill alone.
It is believed that Collingwood, until last Friday one of Misiti's suitors, has now turned its mind to another prolific and experienced midfielder in Adrian Fletcher.

The much-travelled Fletcher is keen to continue his 231-game career and the Magpies are of the opinion that a seasoned, week-in week-out possession-winner might not only relieve Nathan Buckley and Shane O'Bree of an inordinate share of the midfield burden, but help pace the team through a season's grind.

Collingwood has quality young players, such as Josh Fraser, Chris Tarrant, Alan Didak, Tarkyn Lockyer and Ryan Lonie, on the rise but because of this youth and physical immaturity has not been able to sustain its best form over the course of recent seasons.

Fletcher was sacked by the Dockers last month for reasons that had little to do with his output this year.

As usual, he was among the AFL's top-20 possession-winners.

The 32-year-old was seen as the expendable member of a slow Fremantle midfield that was not going to sacrifice Peter Bell or Paul Hasleby but which needs to quicken considerably in 2002.

Bell will be the next Fremantle captain and Hasleby is 20.

Fletcher said yesterday he hoped to play on in 2002 and, if not, possibly move into coaching.

He said he had not yet nominated for the national and pre-season drafts but the prospect of a move east has been strengthened by the suggestion that his wife, Women's National Basketball League and Opals player Narelle, may join Dandenong.

"There's nothing definite. We're just sitting tight at the moment and waiting for a few things to become clearer," Fletcher said.

A Docker co-captain for the past two seasons, Fletcher played 21 games this year for a total of 231 and continuing his career with Collingwood would make him only the fourth player in VFL/AFL history to represent five clubs.

The Tasmanian started his career with Geelong in 1989, played a season with St Kilda in 1992 and played 107 games with Brisbane before joining the Dockers in 1998, and playing another 79 matches.

If, by remaining at Windy Hill, Misiti inadvertently revives Fletcher's career, it is likely that his decision to turn down offers from the Magpies and Geelong will mean that three rather than two Essendon players are delisted this week.

To accommodate Misiti's new two-year deal under the salary cap, Judd Lalich, Jonathan Robran and Gary Moorcroft could all have departed Essendon by Wednesday, when the deadline for the submission of senior lists of no more than 35 players expires.

Malklas 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 2:33 am

what a wasted draft pick !!

Go Pie Pride....join in and everyones a winner.

foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:41 am

i'm all for this idea. nothing wrong with fletcher, he's a damn fine player. would provide one or two years of consistent service, by which time cheesy and josh will be able to play through a whole season.

RUSS 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:00 am

Fletcher is a great player. I think he could be as Sean Denham was for Essendon a few years back. Fletcher gets the ball and then... keeps getting the ball.

[This message has been edited by RUSS (edited 29 October 2001).]

Lockyer24 Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:01 am

wanna wait for didak and co. or inject a experienced in and under type player we desperately need to complement carriers like bucks and obie?

he could be the difference between finals or waiting even longer..

great move, im all for it!!

El Barto 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 5:39 am

He was told he wasn't good enough by the Dockers (of all teams)

Does that answer your questions why he shouldn't be a Pie?

The Zapper 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:08 am

Well the Dockers said that Clement wasn't good enough either and a whole heap before then. It's not a question of how old or how slow fletcher is, its a question of getting someone in the packs and getting the ball out to the carriers. It's a question of someone taking the physical brunts while O'bree's body gets a bit stronger and to take some of the heat of Bucks.

The guy still averages 25 to 30 possessions in each game he plays, we get him cheap and we get a player who wants to play...well worth the risk.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:26 am

The case for is that he knows how to play the game and get the ball and he will add experiance and consistancy.
The case against is that he is a midfielder which we have in abundance, he is slow, he will keep a young player out of the side - probably Scottland - and he has been sacked 4 times already.

I think the case against is stronger. If we get him for free in the November draft I guess there is not a lot to loose.

the prez 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:43 pm

Fletcher is a very accomplished and talented midfielder with plenty of experience who will cost us little to keep and nothing to get.Will relieve some pressure from Bucks & Obie and serve as a mentor for some of the youngsters.I do't think he will necessarily keep any youngsters out of the team as some of the youngsters need a couple of years b4 they are ready to claim a spot in the seniors and Fletcher would be keeping that spot warm for them.As they say,you can never have enough midfielders.He's very fit for his age and hasn't slowed down in his effectiveness,hasn't had a lot of injuries and could well be another Bradley.Would be a short term player which is something we need,Plug n Play midfielder who will get 20-30 quality possies a game.Yeah,who doesn't need that.More pros than cons as far as I'm concerned.

GO WOODS

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 10:51 am

Not at 32 years of age, STAY AWAY!!

P.S. I finished school today, I've still got exams though. (that's y I haven't been around much lately).

JDF
dallas 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 2:38 pm

go for it i say
two years of good service then he retires and didak comes in as a ready made player who can cope with a whole season of footy.
Helps bucks and obree as well. If francis is still available i would go for him first.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: