Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grant Thomas does, why doesn't Mick

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legga 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 5:49 am
Post subject: Grant Thomas does, why doesn't MickReply with quote

I was just speaking to a friend of mine who is an avid Saints supporter and he was telling me that Grant Thomas is a regular contributor to the Saints fan Forum. He was saying (my friend) how all the saints fans think it's great, and that he updates them on recruiting news (Brad Seymour) and other football related issues.

I think this is fantastic, and now wonder why anyone from Collingwood's football staff have not seen fit to relate in some small way to any of our fan sites. I know occassionally Eddie has posted, but considering all the rumours that are posted, and that obviously we not really informed from the football club what is happening, I think it would be great to hear from our guys, prefferably MM, occassionally.

A small price to pay for loyalty, and would certainly make the average "mug punter" fan feel a liitle more involved in OUR club.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 7:11 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its a personal choice if he wants to post on here or not, being the coach he would be quite busy, and anyway what do u want him to say? i dont really care if he posts on here or not as he has a job to do coaching and is doing a good job therefore its all good.

Broadie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 7:19 am

What a perfect indication of a truly professional coach versus a board yes-man who has to whip up popular support via the Net rather than through his playing squad...

Broadie
MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 7:49 am

Brodie, a similar acusation might be leveled (unfairly) at Eddie re his efforts on the net and notablt here. I really can't see how anyone can be critical of anything that increses communication between clubs and members. It can can only be for the better.

In the end MM will decide what in his judgement is important and I for one will accept his call on these types of issues. Likewise lockouts at training. It is his domain and "we" pay him to do a job. His results will be his measure. So far I see nothing to indicate his judgement is not good. I or anyone else may not agree with everything but results talk.

I would certainly favour club representatives posting in forums such as this but how do they decide with Boards or forume to frequent. If 120 forums start up next week we cannot expect them all to be monitored and issues to be addressed on them all. That probably means it has to be limited to the oficial club site.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:43 am

If Grant Thomas does it it's a good enough reason not too.

Perhaps he has to justify himself as his results don't/won't speak for themselves.

Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:55 pm

The StKilda offcial forum is often like a zoo but i am very impressed at the constant e-mails we get as members of StKilda updating us on every decision the club has made such as newly appointed staff and player news and club events it would be handy if Collingwood did this instead of all we get now...a Collingwood magazine 2 or 3 times a year if we r lucky which is outdated by the time it is sent to us.

Broadie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 2:03 am

As President of the club, it is one of Eddie's roles to ensure good PR and keep the fan-base updated on club matters.

As coach of the club, MM's role is to reach the players and get them to perform beyond the potential they thought they had. Nothing else matters. PR is a minor role required of the media and should NOT involve divulging details to the davoted fans or anyone else. There are so few things that separate the best coaches from the rest that it is a coach's duty to NOT inform the general public of anything more than necessary.

AND...
SPIDEY: If they email you for every change of personnel, is that 4 or 5 times daily?
Broadie

[This message has been edited by Broadie (edited 25 October 2001).]
Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 2:48 am

It's a change in the way of coaches these days - ow many of them talk to the press at quarter time and 3 quarter time. Leigh Mathews is one of the best, but when he was at Collingwood I wouldn't have approached him with a 10 foot pole during the game!!

It all depends on necessity too, St Kilda need that communication to keep their members happy. MM doesn't do it probably because Collingwood doesn't need it.

It'd be nice if we got more feedback from the club, but in the end, if they deliver a premiership they've done their job.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
B&W Phantom 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 2:59 am

Thomas is a patsy and Mick is a real coach. NEED I SAY MORE!!!!

Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 3:14 am

Lol nice thought phantom!

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Cyclops 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 3:15 am

As I see it, the coach's principle role is to prepare players during the week and coach matches on the weekend. Any other duties are of secondary importance.

The media, especially TV, make extraordinary demands on all involved in football including coaches. The President, Football Manager, Coach and players all play a part in meeting those demands. The less they are distracted from their real work, the better.

I hate it when they kidnap one of the coaches on his way off the ground for a couple of garbled sound-bites. Talk to them after the match or during the week, not in the heat of battle.

It'd be great to see Mick Malthouse post match-day tips and player ratings on this site, or go head to head with Joffa in the chat room. With all his football and media and family commitments (he does have a life too) it ain't gonna happen.

I think the points made above about Grant Thomas courting fans on the internet are spot on. I think he's trying get a tiny bit of recognition, as no-one has ever heard of him before.

The process of putting Thomas in the public eye started in April or May, before Blight was sacked. Caroline Wilson ran a front page story in the Age with some title like "No Cheers for Blights Rule" which went on the mention Thomas's name about six times in six paragraphs. This is part of the same slimy process.

We're talking about a club where they sack a champion coach halfway into his first year to save the board and certain senior players from the axe, and substitute a no-name cipher. Let's not follow their lead in any way.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 4:36 am

The mere fact that St.Kilda are a hapless rabble off the field makes people tend to think they have no good ideas. Don't throw this idea out completely simply due to it's source. As Brown26 said, coaching has changed. Sheedy started, a long time ago, seeing the promotion of the club as of paramount importance. In the end, the resouces available to the coach will depend directly on the clubs PR and the coach can contribute.

I wouldn't want to see oour coach deflected from his primary role with players, tactics and match day management so a balance has to be struck. Terry Wallace was a visionary of sorts in how he handled the media and if MM had continued on his grumpy WCE ways when he arrived here I would have been dissapointed.

Lets not forget that our club is run by a media "mogul" and he knows how to play the game. As long as Eddie is around we will be in the news. It may not always be for positive things and the tall pooy syndrome will always see some media identities out to cut him/us down to size but as long as we keep the sponsors flags flying our future is assured.

All we have to do is keep working harder and harder and harder again to serve the members and (non member) supporters as well. This is also where media management and communicating with supporters is not only helpful but, in this day and age, neccessary. In the long term interest, it is also vital to open lines of communication with kids as we need to assure our future support base given we will leave Vic. Park and other traditions will be forsaken for modern day survival.

Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 7:12 am

lol Broadie yes they do e-mail me that often almost...it's just nice to hear it first hand from the club though because at Stkilda Caroline Wilson writes a lot of inuendo similar to how Mike Sheahan does with Collingwood so to hear what's really going on straight from the club first hand is good!

Legga 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 7:30 am

Guys, I think some of you have missed the point about my post. Maybe in saying that Mick should post was asking too much, but my point was communications (greater) between the club and the members. I agree with Spidergirl re:the Black & White magazine, and the internet site is of very little help. They did not post 1 update during the trade period, on the trade.

I really think that the trade period was the perfect example of why the club could give some insight into the direction they are taking. How many rumours were circulated regarding trades, not only by people who "know this guy who's brother screwed the sister of an official at a club who said", but also by the typical gutter journalism that Mike Shitean and some of the other 2 bit newspaper hounds like to circulate.

Maybe Robert Pyman, communications manager, or Balme, or Kleiman could post every 2 weeks or so.

Don't forget that Eddie promise transpeirancy whilst he was in the Big Chair. Does this not extend to the members?
And how many people have e-mailed the official site, with questions (mine where membership and internet site related) and have never received a reply? Lost in the ether, I think.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:17 am

Who gives a flying crap what 'st losers' do.

'My God'i wouldnt go into hoddle street tonight for quids'.Bill jacobs 3aw, minutes after our premiership'That is like winning tattslotto and losing your ticket and some bloke puts it in the herald sun that he found it'Rex Hunt 3aw during the 1990 grand final'Well thats about as useful as a fly wire door in a submarine'sammy newman 3aw during the 1990 grand final

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: