Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How would we cope in a close game?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wo5 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:14 pm
Post subject: How would we cope in a close game?Reply with quote

Just after watching the close games this weekend, how do you think the pies would cope?

We havnt had 1 game this year where the margin was under 10 points, which is quite amazing, weve only had 3 games this season where the margin was < 20.

I have a feeling this will hurt us in the finals, as many of our young players will have not have faced that amount of pressure and alot havnt played in a finals atmosphere. What happend to Motlop could easily happen to a few of our players.

Lets hope we can get one close game in before the end of the home and away season.
Eunos 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't posess the ability to shut a game down like the Cows do.
We would struggle in a tight finish.

Eunos - official NBB sniper by appointment. Proudly sniping since 2001.
PM for a quote.
killer Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:14 am

i would imagine that most of senior players would be hungry enough to carry us through.

On motlop though, which of our players do you think could or could not slot a goal after the siren to win the game.

i'd be very nervous if tarrant had the ball.

Car'n the PIES!!!
wo5 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:43 am

yeah Tarrant would be scary, so would Rocca from 30 out
Harvey 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:46 am

actually Rocca has been very very accurate this year with the set shots.

i wouldn't mind tazza having a shot either. I remember him winning us the game after the siren against adelaide a couple of years ago.

But of course, this is all hypothetical as we'll just blow teams out of the water in the last quarter
Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:09 am

Yep all those worried about Tarrant in the same situation have the memory span of a gold fish. Tarrant is the only player that actually has been in the exact same position as Motlop, against Adelaide a couple of years ago and he slotted the goal.
favourites 2008 

The Machine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:53 am

Yep Taz, Rocca, Bux, dids, Leon, Daisy, Pendles.....only one id b worried about is fraser, but he has worked hard on those set shots.

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
labrooy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:18 am

I would be nervous if Egan had a shot after the siren. His kicking on the run is brilliant but set shots are very suss.

Rocca missed against Port in 2002 but from memory that was just before the siren sounded. I think his kicking at goal has improved since then.

Both Didak and Leon were a bit suspect at set shots too but have improved in that area.

Overall I would be failry confident if one of our boys had a match winning shot after the siren.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:16 am

Quote:
Tarrant is the only player that actually has been in the exact same position as Motlop

Not at all actually. We were down by a point, Tarrant didn't have the ultimate pressure of knowing if he misses, the team loses, this would have simply been a draw. A lot less pressure.

Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:31 am

couragous cloke wrote:
Quote:
Tarrant is the only player that actually has been in the exact same position as Motlop

Not at all actually. We were down by a point, Tarrant didn't have the ultimate pressure of knowing if he misses, the team loses, this would have simply been a draw. A lot less pressure.

Either way if he had missed he cost his team a win, the outcome of the game was on his boot. Nobody says oh well we got a draw when we could have won - have you noticed the stunned look on players faces whenever there is a draw? You are delusional if you don't think that was a high pressure situation.
leelee Scorpio

Live. Love. Race.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:05 pm

Lonie from 50m... on the run... he can lift... he knows it... the team knows it... he's done it in the past... sealded a game by starting a run of goals
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:05 pm

great point....we have either belted the opposition, or been belted by the opposition this year. Very good and very bad signs. It shows that we have the ability to put a team away...yet shows that on an off day we are very beatable.

Come finals time, even at the top of our game, to beat Adelaide would mean winning by less than 10 points. A team like Adelaide do not lay down. West Coast with COusin, Cox and Fletcher back with a fully fit HUnter will not lie down either. We have not seen the young guys in a tight one as yet

bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:48 pm

Well done Eddie and again you manage to find a way to put a negative spin on the players you despise most. While I wouldn't be overlly confident in Taz having a shot he still won us the match 3 years back.

As for tight finishes depends on who we play if it was Essendon god forbid I think we'd win as they just don't know how to win. However as someone mentioned Adelaide would be a lot harder.

bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:51 pm

Well done Eddie and again you manage to find a way to put a negative spin on the players you despise most. While I wouldn't be overlly confident in Taz having a shot he still won us the match 3 years back.

As for tight finishes depends on who we play if it was Essendon god forbid I think we'd win as they just don't know how to win. However as someone mentioned Adelaide would be a lot harder.

killer Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:03 pm

Magpie Since 1986 wrote:
couragous cloke wrote:
Quote:

Either way if he had missed he cost his team a win, the outcome of the game was on his boot. Nobody says oh well we got a draw when we could have won - have you noticed the stunned look on players faces whenever there is a draw? You are delusional if you don't think that was a high pressure situation.

he failed to fire against the kangaroos in round 4 last year though,
his goalkicking form has quite clearly slipped since that infamous adelaide goal,
i'd still be pretty nervous if the ball was in his hands.

cheers

Car'n the PIES!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: