Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Best Team since 1970

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Zapper 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 3:48 pm
Post subject: Best Team since 1970Reply with quote

Hi people

I have just joined the board and have read and enjoyed a lot of the posts. I was very interested in the thread of the best team ever. I wanted to try to put one in myself but I found it too hard to compare players I haven't seen with those I had, so I have assembled my best team since 1970. That was hard enough as I had to leave some bloody good players out but here we go...(I am sure I have left out the bloody obvious somewhere....)

B Magro Kelly Morwood
HB Buckley Picken Brown
C Millane T Shaw Greening
HF Daicos Dunne Carman
F Moore McKenna R Shaw

R Thompson McGuane W Richardson

Int M Williams Barham Wright Banks

Over to you people....

Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 3:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Micky Gafer?

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 6:34 am

Well hi The zapper and welcome.

Brilliant side gee just wonder for one minute that all them players you named were now one and second year players im licking my chops so furiously there is drool everywhere...LOL

The magpies clear the ball from half back,ooh magro goes in hard and the ball tumbles outa bounds,the pies 3 points down with minutes to go, a win will see them into this years prelim,Thompson gives porter a backhander as he taps the ball to greening and greening is away..one bounce a hand pass to the running buckley...buckley to dunne..dunne to millane...millane side steps and charges through jesaulenko and jeasaulenko is down YOU BEAUTY..back to greening who has run from half back accepts the handpass and kicks it to mckeeeeeena...mckennnnnnna has marked it on 50 the siren is about to go...there it is the siren has gone mckenna will put the pies into the 2002 prelim OH MY GOD the crowd has gone ape shit..there is a fight on in the centre ray shaw has just put wayne harmes on his head...calm down maggies..mckennnna trots to 45 and unleashes a roaring punt there it is .. its a goooooaaaaaaaal the pies are through to the prelim...yesssssssssss.

ha ha and some of yous thought i was normal.

Good stuff The zapper.

'My God'i wouldnt go into hoddle street tonight for quids'.Bill jacobs 3aw, minutes after our premiership'That is like winning tattslotto and losing your ticket and some bloke puts it in the herald sun that he found it'Rex Hunt 3aw during the 1990 grand final'Well thats about as useful as a fly wire door in a submarine'sammy newman 3aw during the 1990 grand final

hoggy Pisces

Bristle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:19 am

Come on Joffa! 3 points down with only minutes to go! I'm glad to say "not with that team mate"!

p.s. that means we'd be infront by 12 goals and they'd just got a couple of consolation goals near the end!

Fradam did not write this!
MarkT 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:14 am

I'd love to fit my old fav. Kevin Worthington in there somewhere but I don't know who to leave out. Perhaps if his knees could have held out he would have been an automatic selection.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 10:46 am

Im starting to like you heaps MARK T

Ole wortho kevin worthington was brilliant gee havnt we had some top defenders in our time, worthington, gott, cooper magro were all tough back man and knew how to play footy.

I remember one day at vicky park when collingwood played bitchmond sproule and gott were like 2 boxers going the bash in the goal square at the yarra falls end ahhh it was excellent, and i remember after the game doug gott had the biggest shiner you could ever wish to see.Tough men playing when the game was real Tough.

'My God'i wouldnt go into hoddle street tonight for quids'.Bill jacobs 3aw, minutes after our premiership'That is like winning tattslotto and losing your ticket and some bloke puts it in the herald sun that he found it'Rex Hunt 3aw during the 1990 grand final'Well thats about as useful as a fly wire door in a submarine'sammy newman 3aw during the 1990 grand final

MarkT 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:13 pm

Geez Joffa - you're scaring me (j/k).

Yeh, we had some tough defenders. "Strop" Cooper and Stan "The Man" Magro were great. Ned and Banksy were pretty tough in the Premiership year. I think we could use some of that backline toughness in the side now. Maybe Molloy should make the move like Banksy did.

"Nails" Worthington was my favorite player of the time - I had No.27 on my back. He was as tough as they came and they came tougher back then. I remember a day against Essendon when Ronnie Andrews had a Collingwood player by the throat (can't remember who) and Wortho grabbed him from behind and spun him around. Wortho looked Andrews in the eye and walked closer toward him. Andrews held his fists up as he was backing away. He kept backing. Not many took on "Nails".

ed healey 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:46 pm

I think peter McCormack has been our best full back since Ted Potter,so he should get that job.
Maybe drop Morwood to the bench and make Barham an emergency.
I have said before i would not include carman in a best side because he didnt give us enough, i would put williams on the flank and give Monky the other job on the bench.
Twiggy would probably have to speed up to match todays players,but its a good exercise.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:05 pm

Yes very true ED

Peter mc cormack was a ripper and very reliable,
I was talkin to this bloke and he reckons a jeff clifton was a serviceable full back ...WOW another joffa...LOL any way does any one know anything about jeff clifton.

ed healey 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:33 pm

Yes Clifton was a good full back,left footer i think.
He was a tough nut.
Was he in the 70s,i thought he was before that,but my memory is like me its getting a bit long in the tooth.
I think he was a WA boy,from manjimup and was a rugged backman,good value at the time.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:05 pm

I remember Clifton, wore 21 and was a very underated full back. In those days, the full back was always a lovely drop kick (you know what I mean), ostensibly because the trajectory of its 'return to earth' and the spin on the ball made it easier to mark it. (Or so I was told!!)

I remember the press at the time going misty eyed over Fat Lips Southby from Carlscm, but Clifton was a real top notch full back.
I think he was from WA too, Ed.

Peter McCormack was a top player too. The full back line of Magro, McCormack, Worthington didnt let many forwards have a bruise free day. A great full back line.

Wasnt Cooper one of the few blokes to hold Hudson goalless?

And no room for Rene Kink!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats going on here guys?????

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 3:56 am

I've always been a big wrap for Greg Phillips (noone ever seems to mention him...), as well as Peter Moore, Rene Kink, Ricky Barham, Craig Davis, Peter McCormack, Ronnie Wearmouth, Billy Picken... the list just goes on and on (unbelievable to think that we didn't win a grand final with our brilliant teams in the 70s/early 80s!!!). And why isn't Ray Shaw mentioned?

Pies rock Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 2:30 pm

I'm only 19, but I got my dad to give me his best side since 1970:

Hyde Clifton Waters
Ireland Picken McGuane
Greening Price Millane
Brown Carmen Daicos
Tuddenham Mckenna Moore
Thompson Buckley Wearmouth
Crosisca, Wright, Barham, Kink
Emerg: Banks, R. Shaw, Magro.

Tell me what you 'older' members think.

ed healey 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 12:00 pm

Terry Waters best form was before 70,dont know about wearmouth.i think any side of the 30 yrs that omits Tony Shaw is missing the point.And magro would get a game before kink in my view.
but your dad has a good memory and the side is ok.
just remind him that he missed out tony shaw,must have been an oversight.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 12:15 pm

Gee, haven't we had some wingmen:

Greening, Millane, Barham, Brown, Wright.

Write was good but he is almost out of his class in such company. Poor Ricky would have been known as one of the all time CFC greats if he had hamstrings instead of elastic bands in his legs. I always remember saying when he was first up from a "spell" and therefore playing in F.Pocket - he'll kick 6 and he rarely let me down.

Give it a couple of years and we might be slotting Lonnie and Adkins in there too.

[This message has been edited by MarkT (edited 19 October 2001).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: