Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Love

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:21 am
Post subject: LoveReply with quote

Is it all its cracked up to be?

I'd be very interested to hear what the views of some of the older/experienced members of this board are, especially those who are married or have been. I've heard it said that all love fades eventually, Ingmar Bergman even suggested in Scenes from a Marriage that it must die at some point. This is a rather depressing thought, and the incredibly high divorce rate doesn't help.

For me, this is important because I consider the act of being in mutual love to be the pinnacle of human existence. Ironic I know coming from me when I haven't experienced real love yet, or so I believe. Unfortunately it doesn't seem very popular these days, as popular culture appears to promote sex over love, and this is reflected in the actions and attitudes of most males my age.

Some of you may ask, what do you think love is, anyway? One thing's for sure, I don't see it as something out of the O.C., or a pop song. My view of love is something that exists between two people who share a common affection, need for each other, understanding and respect, and sexual chemistry to some degree, the last of which separates it from platonic love, although I believe the two are more closely related than many think.

Without sounding too hippyish, I wish it for myself and everybody else in this world that they could find "true love" at some point and that it lasts a lifetime. To die without at least experiencing it is for me one of the most unbearable thoughts possible.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

WHATS LOVE GOT TO DO, GOT TO DO WITH IT
WHAT`S LOVE BUT A SECOND HAND EMOTION
WHAT`S LOVE GOT TO DO, GOT TO DO WITH IT
WHO NEEDS A HEART
WHEN A HEART CAN BE BROKEN

Sorry, as soon as I saw the heading, that's what came to mind.

Now i can't get it out of my head.......which leads me to another song........

So anyway....what about your parents? Do you see that love there? Family members that are married, do you see it there?

My parents were married for 43 years until my father's death. Must have been something, other than the 9 children, that kept them together.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:59 am

My wife and I have been married for 17 years and together for 21. I think I love her more now than I did then. The feelings at the beginning are all warm and gooey, but it is different now. You ask your self what whould I be without her and the answer for me is LOST. Our daughters are 20 and 18 now and are living in my parents city house(as opposed to the one in the bush), and since we have been on our own we seem to be enjoying each others company more. David, love and marriage for me have been great and I hope you find what I have.
Magpie 24 Libra

AT least I have more than one jacket

Location: YIHAA! Welcome to redneck land. All typing furiously!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:32 am

Love is all around nuxta, truly.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:35 am

Love is what you make of it. It's a two way street and many people marry quickly feeling they may miss the boat as all their friends are married. They have kids for the same reason. After reality sets in and their social life goes out the window they divorce. I am divorced these days.

You have to work at it and its hard work. Throw in the financial pressures of today's society and its dam hard work.

Now in another relationship I have adjusted and have learnt by my mistakes. Life is not about wine and roses and either is love. Who you love has to be your best friend and your soul mate. Advice is if you argue, get it off your chest and don't hold a grudge. Be prepared to admit you are wrong (men are pig headed and its hard to do).

Love is simple, what you put in you will get back.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:52 am

nuxta wrote:

... You ask your self what whould I be without her and the answer for me is LOST ...

Very nicely put.

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:01 am

Culprit wrote:

... Life is not about wine and roses and neither is love. Who you love has to be your best friend and your soul mate ...

Very true.

Very very true.

A lot of people get into long term relationships based on an initial sexual infatuation that they mistake for "love". But after a while they realise they've married someone they don't know ... and don't even particularly want to know.

Companionship is the most important factor in a relationship. If you've found the right person, you will still have that companionship long after you've both stopped looking like movie stars, and you're no longer at it like rabbits Wink

pace 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:53 pm

I guess it leads to another question, are we (human) really made to be with one person for the rest of our lives. Or is the male designed to roam soeing its wild oats. Have we as a human race gone against animal kingdom rules. I realise we have evolved a bit more than this and that its not just the strongest survive. But deep down i think most males will always find it hard not to keep being interested or attracted to the opposite sex, when in relationships. Particularly after a few drinks.
(i did say most and not all males)
By the way i am happily married. But oftened wondered has this been why there is and will be so many break ups.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:57 pm

Can you explain your reasoning?
pace 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:03 pm

No I cant my reasoning is to hard to explain.
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:43 pm

pace wrote:
I guess it leads to another question, are we (human) really made to be with one person for the rest of our lives.

Careful in here cuz, that question in the tavern could open a whole new can of worms:P

Quote:
Or is the male designed to roam soeing its wild oats. Have we as a human race gone against animal kingdom rules.

We are not animals so the law of the jungle does not apply to us.

Quote:
I realise we have evolved a bit more than this and that its not just the strongest survive.

You presume we evolved, there is in fact no empirical evidence

Quote:
But deep down i think most males will always find it hard not to keep being interested or attracted to the opposite sex, when in relationships. Particularly after a few drinks.
By the way i am happily married. But oftened wondered has this been why there is and will be so many break ups.

Anyone who blames the sherbert for this particular transgression should stop embibing right away.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:50 pm

pace wrote:
I guess it leads to another question, are we (human) really made to be with one person for the rest of our lives. Or is the male designed to roam soeing its wild oats. Have we as a human race gone against animal kingdom rules. I realise we have evolved a bit more than this and that its not just the strongest survive. But deep down i think most males will always find it hard not to keep being interested or attracted to the opposite sex, when in relationships. Particularly after a few drinks.

I think it's very natural for men (and women) to be in love and still find others attractive.

But the meaning of true love is that it's never acted on.
Magpie 24 Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:13 pm

I find Indian girls hot
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:16 pm

Thanks for telling me your opinion.
Magpie 24 Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:37 pm

np
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: