Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jury service ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stonedpies 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Jury duty....In a period over 10 years i got called up 4 fkn times....the 4th time i was so pissed off i got my boss to write me a letter and tell them that i couldnt partake because he had noone to replace me....

Thankfully they did excuse me from doing it but they made it known to me that they wasnt happy about it, I was pretty p'd off at being called up again and questioned the 'randomness' of their selection process, being that i had been called up 4 times in such a seemingly short period of time when i know many many people that have never been called up, EVER..lol it was quite a lil argument we had

Thankfully since that time i have never been called up since..

Unfortunately i did get selected once, it was a rape case involving a 13 year old girl and a much older guy..It was pretty horrendous actually and im more talking about the range of emotion that we, the jurors, went through when we were behind closed doors trying to decide our verdict..It really is a huge decision and at the time i really wondered if the jury system was the correct method of dealing with criminal law, trials etc..

For me I was confident of what the verdict should be but for some other jurors it was really an emotional load, there was a lot of tears , alot of doubts and to be honest the whole ordeal really spun me out!!

You are deciding on peoples lives, the victim and the accused and whatever decisin you come to there is always the fear that you might make the wrong one..

Anyway to cut it short we, did after a fair period of time, unanimously come to a decision...I am confident it was the right one too but it is fair to say it something i would never want to do again..

Sorry if this all sounds like a lot of crap, it is just my personal experience and thoughts....

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:37 pm

Not at all Stonedpies that was really interesting...
one point I hadn't thought of was some of the more disturbing cases you would have to help ajudicate, like the one you mentioned.
It must be very mentally wearing as well. Imagine if you were convinced of a point of view but the other 11 jurors all thought the opposite...

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:38 pm

I can't imagine if you were convinced of a point of view but the other 11 jurors thought the opposite
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:03 pm

Culprit wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Do you wish to do it Joffa? I have and have written each time explaining why I cannot do it. You cannot just say you don't wish too, you have to give a reason to why you would not be objective etc. If you wish to then you go through the process of jury selection. Then it comes back to if they like you or not..lol

Actually dale i would like to do it i feel in someway honored to have been chosen, i was just enquiring about the process and what to expect i actually hope to be a part of a jury Smile

No worries, I was honest I could not be objective as I mistrust the police due to my upbringing in a rough neibhourhood so to speak. In saying that I have officers as friends these days...lol

Little chicago east preston Dale ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: