Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie McGuire promises you the world and gives you an Atlas

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 3:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting article in real footy: http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/news/2001/10/10/FFXRYSFLKSC.html

might explain why c'wood didn't go for everitt. st. kilda were asking the world (3 draft picks) and c'wood rightly told them to get stuffed.

"consectatio excellentiae"
Cyclops 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 6:10 am

I enjoy reading Member's posts, and like him I felt a bit let down when we didn't grab any of the attractive names on offer in the meat market this year.

That said, I hate it when any player leaves the Pies. I was fond of Jason Wild, Heath Shepherd and Terry Domburg as well as the champion players. I realise footy is a heartless business in the off-season, but I don't have to like it.

I'm glad we didn't swap anyone this time round, and I hope all our current players get a good shot at success. I know this isn't realistic, but I don't barrack for the Pies as a the result of a logical choice. It's genetic, and visceral, and tribal, not commercial and logical.

We have to do deals to win, but don't sweat if we didn't deal dirty like the rest. I'm glad we didn't gut some young player who's followed us from the cradle like the Hawks did to Croad.

rash 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 6:31 am

Quote by Cyclops

"I was fond of Jason Wild"

Are you slightly blind in that one eye of yours Cyclops? LOL

woodsman 90 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 6:54 am

first of all dillo, do you play football, have you ever played football, do you know what a football looks like,(to say you wouldn't want misiti shows an ignorence in your ability to recognize talent).

secondly joffa, best coaching in the comp have we,(says you) please tell me what MM did as a coach, when not coaching a state side (WC were a state side, just look at the list they had), on the other hand i to beleive that we are on the right track, but i to was totaly dumbsrtuck apon learning we had not traded.

i firmly beleive there is way to much emphises on draft picks year in and year out, tell me do you think we have good young talent at the pie's, if so what is the problem with, for one year at least, useing a few early picks to get the players you reqiure.

finally i wrote this because when i read through what has been said here, frankly i see one bloke giving an honest account of what he felt, an a few others howling him down for it, as for tearing up his membership up, i wouldn't think he meant that and i think everyone knows it, thats frustration, further more all this bandwagon shit, i don't know a collingwood supporter that is one, so please everybody get of that one.

PS. if you don't like my thoughts that fine, but don't dare tell me to go support another team as i have seen being done here and there, thats not your right,and its just plain ****ing rude!!!!

hoggy Pisces

Bristle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:15 am

Think about this...why would we need to trade players when we had the youngest list in the league last year. we spent all our time and money into these players (i'll just go through the ones that we have nurtured - leon, adkins, didak, rupert, wazza, lica, davo, taz, tucks, shawry, pebbles, tark, josh, johnno, bk, scotto, dima, roachy, presti and lonie) Why trade when we have these players coming into their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th years. We shall persist and we shall make the finals next year.

Fradam did not write this!
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:20 am

MM took footscray to the prelim final in '85, where they just lost out by 10 points. in fact, MM has only ever had one losing season (losses > wins) with footscray prior to coaching WCE.

BTW, what has having played footy or not got anything to do with having an opinion on a player?

MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:21 am

The reason we would trade is because we have deficiencies in some areas and a surpluss of talent in others. That's the point. Forget whether x is worth more than y. To get a win/win senario clubs swap what they have for what they need. We have midfielders/runners and youth. Therefore the likes of Dimma, Scottland, etc. and our draft choices are able to be traded for the right player IF that player would add to our premiership chances.

Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:31 am

Wow say wot u think ay Woodsman 90 i love it lol. I am also sick of people going around thinking they have the right to tell people they are bandwagoners or should stop supporting Collingwood etc etc. It is not a contest here its about everyone wanting whats best for the Collingwood Football Club and if people know that they have Collingwood running through their veins then why try and tell them otherwise

I also agree on what you are saying about having one of the best young teams but also we should blend some older players in too. I think It's been evident that over the past few drafts now clubs have definately been wanting to secure as much youth as possible but i think there comes a time when there can be too much youth and the rebuilding excuse can only be used for so long. It may give the team more speed with fresh young legs but it also provides more inexperience and come finals time the last thing you want is a team dropping off because they can't handle the finals pressure and have not enough experienced senior players to guide them.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:39 am

Great post dillo fantastic stuff.

At least my good old friend rohan has the courtesy to post under his name when he lunges into eddie and the boys.

Member i like yourself was wondering for the last week why are we not getting anyone i agree we need a ruckman and we need one badly that is why i was a big wrap for corey mckernan but carlton got him and we didnt, maybe we didnt want him.

Spider would have been sensational at collingwood but look at the cost why should we trade two draft picks and presty for a player who suddenly decided that stkilda his football club for his whole AFL playing career was no longer his home.

I want collingwood to emerge as a power for a decade or more and we can only do this by strictly sticking to the so called youth policy.

I dont want collingwood going broke whilst trying to please its members by chasing second rated hacks and only appearing in one or two seasons of AFL finals.

We all have to be patient and get behind the club and its coach and eddie and all the boys who know much more than what we do.

We will not get any help or concessions from the AFL they are too busy having orgasms over the interstate clubs.

I like what mm was trying to say the other day and that is this club hasnt made the finals in 7 years yet the AFL in its foolish wisdom still wants to give concessions to a club who has just won a premiership and yet it doesnt seem interested in helping collingwood. what im trying to say is we are in a position where we have to do it right we have to think of the future and giving away players such as presty who has been a great player and loyal to the club as well as unknown draft picks is stupid.

Knowing our luck of recent years one of those draft picks would of gone on to win a brownlow at another club.

So i say lets not worry too much about who we didnt get lets focus on the upcomming youngsters in the draft who if are successful will be around for ten years and not broken down in 2 years.

Your ok member and you to dillo lets all relax for a couple of days.

Remember another 15 clubs would love to be in the exact position the collingwood football club is at the moment.

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:42 am

Peoples, I agree with Joffa, we all need to calm down. The trading period will always polarise opinions, but let’s not forget that we are all c’wood. Let’s not start to bag one another. Obviously, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but at the same time, this doesn’t give them the right to unduly slag off on players, the coach or the administration. I don’t care how much money some people may have contributed to the club; this doesn’t give them a license to abuse. On the other hand, it is also not right for people to abuse others who put forward a controversial opinion. Fine, post a strong reply, but there is no need for nasty and personal comments. Rebuke the issue, not the person. C’wood people are passionate; however there should not be any room for extremist views. The current sad state of the world is due to views that are not open to compromise.

At this point in time, I am willing to get 100% behind the administration. There is nothing to suggest that they are not acting in the best interests of the club, despite the lack of trading activity. This is not a case of blind faith. I am an intelligent person who has his own opinions and I’ll be damned if I am labelled a sheep. However, if this label satisfies the myopic sentiments of some others, then fine, I am blind. I have faith in the abilities of our president, our coach and most of all, our players to deliver the goods. I don’t give a rats arse what other teams are doing, what great deals they’re getting, otherwise it will just be a case of sour grapes. I am focussed on what c’wood are doing, and I say that they are on the right path.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:45 am

Joffa, what you say there makes sense. But frankly I don't care if we give away the 10 brownlow medalists if we win the 2002 flag and still have this young list we already have. The name of the game is winning premierships and we have let Carlton nad Essendon show us how for damn long.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 8:15 am

Excellent post junkboy.

Mark have faith mate we are getting there.

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

daicos4ever 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 10:04 am

I am nearly 18 years old. I have grown up supporting Collingwood loss after loss after loss, but I have always beieved. 3 years ago I wouldn't have fully understood club politics, why everybody hated Rose and Shaw etc, but as I have gotten older I have become wiser and more experienced. In hind-sight, I can see how Eddie has pulled Collingwood out of the shits and put The Club on the verge of something great. I have always believed, never once thought Collingwood would be losing forever. I never gave up when all my mates fell by the way-side and found other interests. I cried when we won the flag 11 years ago. I cried when Pants died. I cried when we lost to St Kilda in '92. I cried when McGuane dropped THAT mark in '94. I cried every time I heard the Carlton song after every game we played against them. The greatest tears I have shed was when we beat St Kilda in '99. I knew then we were on a different path, a path to success. I never gave up hope during the bad times, and I certainly will not jump ship now.

So what if we didn't pick up a big name in the trading period? Just to remind people, we still have Buckley, Fraser, N Davis, Tarrant, Rocca, Presti, Molloy, Adkins, Lockyer, O'Bree, Licuira and the list goes on. From my point of view, we HAVE bigs names. Sure, Everitt would have helped, Misiti would have been great, but I feel we are a very good chance to be a top four side next year, because we have a list that have been through it all during the last 2 years, have experience playing with each other. To lose a player of the group to be replaced by an import may have a negative effect on the squad. They have been together for a long time and deserve the chance to show us what they are made of. Look what happened at St Kilda this year. They signed up big names, but how far did they go?

To blame Eddie, Mick, Noel or Neil for not signing Spider or Misiti is disgraceful. They have been doing what is best for the club for 2 years, so why wouldn't they be doing what is best for the club now? They are proffessionals for a reason, they know their stuff. Leave trading and administration to them and let us get on with what we should be doing and doing well, supporting the club! I cannot believe that some people are pissed off now, where were you 3 years ago? We are on the verge of success, and our dark days are behing us, so keep supporting the team now as much as you have in the past. We are beyond being the whipping boys of the AFL, we have a wooden spoon shoved up our anus, and the Club is doing its best to give us a premiership to reward us for our support over the years.

Stay positive, keep looking foward and keep the faith.
The Club knows what it is doing.

daicos4ever

2002 - The Year of the Pie
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 10:12 am

DAICOS4EVER

That was brilliant mate i loved every thing you said.

daicos4ever 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2001 1:45 pm

thanks mate.

i just think that some people are starting to act like spoilt little brats. I think certain things need to be put into perspective, and people need to remember where the Club was when Eddie took over.

daicos4ever

2002 - The Year of the Pie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: