Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Misiti, when could/will this happen?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phillbuck Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:08 pm
Post subject: Misiti, when could/will this happen?Reply with quote

Link: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,3050224%255E11548,00.html

What is the boards opinion on Joe?

Will his addition help further the team to a top four finish or would this result in unneeded tention within the team?

What will we have to give up to get Joe?

Brown26 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's fit enough to play in the midfield then great, lets' get him for three years or so, play him in the centre and get some toughness in there until the young guys mature. If he's not fit enough or can't get his pace back, He'll have to play on the half forward flank, and then he isn't any use to us I don't think. We've got a great HFF in nick Davis, Misiti wouldn't be much good.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 5:14 am

We will survive without the likes of him if the reports are true and the deal(had it of gone through) would of cost the club one million dollars then i reckon him and essendon can get stuffed.

This club has a wonderful group of young talanted players why bankrupt ourselves, Hall and richards and cloke and even didak have all the potential to take this club into next years finals.

Why risk everything?

There was even a rumor that stkilda wanted presty and many other things in exchange for spider everitt,presty has been a loyal servant and on all acounts a great club man and to trade him would be most concerning.

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:14 am

I say get Misiti as our midfield would be much stronger with him in there.We are obliged to use 95% of our salary cap as a minimum. With our list as it stands i believe we have plenty of room in the Salary Cap. Misiti is an experienced footballer, a dual Premiership player and knows what success is all about. With all these attributes he would benefit our younger players.

JLC

EVERYONE IS A COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTER ITS JUST THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE IN DENIAL
MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:29 am

I am a little confused. How could we get Misiti now?

As far as I know we would have to draft him in the November Draft IF he was available at No.11. If he goes into the December Draft he will not be available by selection No.8 which is our first pick. If we draft him in Novemeber we would likely miss out on a young gun. By all accounts there is likely to be a number of quality options available. At his age and pay rate I wouldn't pass up the young gun for him. If he was as a ruckman or CHB of equvelent class I would go for it, but not for a midfielder with our list.

afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:31 am

its all arbitary really, we would need misiti to be by passed in the draft by atleast 7 other clubs in the draft and that would be if we were to use our no11 pick for him. Certainly he would be a handy pickup, but only if he was still live in the draft to about our 3rd pick (in the 30's), otherwise then we would leave him.

Id like him but Im not that desperate to either use an early pick, or pay him so much as to push other clubs away (and hence potentially disinfranchise our current group).

Legga 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:32 am

I heard that Essendon still rates Misiti in there top 6 players, so from that point of view his inclusion would be a bonus. I don't think you can ever have too many mid-fielders, and as has been stated on this site before, adding another quality mid-fielder releives the pressure on Bucks, and could see him move forward to be a dominate half forward.

The pies might try to swing a deal like Richscum did with Gaspar when they got him from Sydney. He gets paid a fortune for the first year, as he says that's what he will sign for, but then in subsequent years the pay is less. He may get $1mill over 3 years, but to ward off other clubs, asks for $500,000 for the 1st year. They are saying not too many other clubs could fit him in, yet Freo are saying they still have room. That could be trouble.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 7:41 am

Now that I think about it there might be a way.

If Misti nominates for the December draft and names his term as, say, $750,000, the club which drafts him has to allocate (at least) that amount of their salary cap to his match payments. That does not mean they have to pay him that much, but that is the minimum Salary Cap amount. The ruls exists to stop someone nominating $1m and negotiating for much less when the club of his choice drafts him.

So we could get him to niminate a large figure and negotiate a lower pay. So long as we have the room in the salary cap it could work and. We would want to ensure the other players knew the score without knowing the finer contract details. I belive we have room in the cap.

NevilleBartos 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 9:17 am

There is no doubting that Smokin' Joe is a gun and I would be rapt if he came to Collingwood via the draft. If the club was going to trade our 1st and 2nd picks to get him in a trade, wouldn't it be a bonus if we only have to use pick 11 to get him?

He has at least 4 good seasons ahead of him and would compliment our younger midfielders beautifully. Many don't appreciate just how good a player he is, in my opinion he's in the top 10 midfielders in the league.

Look at me mate, I'm flyin'

Dgen 

Nick's BB Member #43

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 9:46 am

I wouldn't be surprised if there are under-the-table deals where club X pays clubs A, B, C etc who are ahead of them in the draft to leave a player until it is club X's pick. It would have to be done very secrectively as the AFL wouldn't like it to much.
From memory didn't we draft Bucks and trade palyers for him? If that's was the case, how did that work? (Bucks has stated that he doesn't know how he got to Collingwood!).

I think also that clubs only have to pay 92.5% of the cap. Whether that makes more room or not, I'm not sure but Eddie did say during the year that Collingwood had the lowest player payments of any club.

After all that I think we should go for Misiti if we can get him for two reasons.

1. Although he's not as good as Bucks he probably still requires the oppositions best tagger. That player would still be assigned to Bucks so Joe may end up having some more room than he's used to.

2. Misiti with Lica, O'b, Tarks etc in the middle could see Bucks spend more time on the HB or HF lines where sometimes he can be more effective.

I hope this makes sense to someone!

Premiers - 020310171927282930353653589003
MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 12:13 pm

Buckley wanted to play for the Pies. He was drafted by Brisbane but was going to stay in SA. Brisbane convinced him to go and play for them but he put a stipulation in his contract to the effect that he copuld go to the club of choice after 1 year. Th e deal was that the club named 10 players and Brisbane could take any 2 others in exchange for Bucks.

They got Starcevich and Troy Leamon (sp?). I thought troy looked the goods at the time but he had hamstring troubles and never made it. Starc. was the last CHF we had but Leigh Mathews didn't like his style. Not hard enough or strong enough over head. He had his share of injuries and eventually had his jaw smashed courtesy of a kick in face. I though Starc. was underrated but he did nothing at Brisbane so perhaps I overrated him.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 12:45 pm

I'd love to see Joe Misiti at Collingwood...he could add yet another facet off our midfield and help reduce the strain on the other midfielder...strain which was quite evident towards the end of this year.

JDF
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:33 pm

Let's get Misiti. But at what cost... I dunno.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 4:19 pm

The question is how long will he last? There's not much point having a 30 year old Buckley and a 30 year old Misiti fighting for one spont on the HFF with Nick Davis killing them on the other.

Having said that, 3 years out of a fit Misiti in the middle would be a great bonus - he could get another premiership out of it too. It would be worth paying him one million over 3 years, a lot next year, like 500 thou, so we don't have salary cap problems in 2003,4.

Johnson, OBree, Misiti with Fraser, Licca and Didak on the ball looks a great midfield, especially when you have Buckley and Nick Davis on the HFF, and Lonie and Burns on the HBF. Easily the best in the league.

But if he's not fit enough to play on the wing, we don't want him. He has to be fit, and has to be fast. Otherwiose he's no use to us, in my opinion.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
The Zapper 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 4:22 pm

Yeah he can go in the November draft and I would certainly nab him with the number 11 pick. This was the guy who put Essendon into the GF. Without him Hawthorn would have won. The guy is a ball magnet and has at least 4 good years in front of him.

Geelong get pick 8 and we have pick 11. The way I see it, it becomes a choice of a good young player or Joe. Because of the so called quality of the draft, Geelong hopefully will go youth.

That leaves it open for us assuming no other cluib goes for him. The other thing is geelong have 2 picks in the second round so if we want him its pick 11 or nothing.

Go get Joe!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: