Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Silence is killing me.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
David from Canberra wrote:
Any links to the articles? As I find it hard to believe that Israel would target innocent civilians. They have no reason to.

The media we read and hear from I would suggest are pro Israel.

and why do you think that is Culprit?

Culprit wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:
Amazing that the United States never sanction Israel over any of their strikes.

America is run by big business........and most of those in big business in that country are Jewish!

I'm not saying I have anything against Jewish people, i went out with a Jewish guy for 3 years.

You forgot to add that approx 70% of the US Government are Jewish.

you also forgot to add that apparently all the Jews stayed home on September 11.

I'm not even going to ask what sort of website you went to to get that statistic Culprit.

good to see anti-semitism is alive and well, anyway.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:39 pm

True, we can go on and on.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:43 pm

Culprit wrote:
Any links to the articles? As I find it hard to believe that Israel would target innocent civilians. They have no reason to.

The media we read and hear from I would suggest are pro Israel.

and why do you think that is Culprit?

Culprit wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:
Amazing that the United States never sanction Israel over any of their strikes.

America is run by big business........and most of those in big business in that country are Jewish!

I'm not saying I have anything against Jewish people, i went out with a Jewish guy for 3 years.

You forgot to add that approx 70% of the US Government are Jewish.

you also forgot to add that apparently all the Jews stayed home on September 11.

I'm not even going to ask what sort of website you went to to get that statistic Culprit.

good to see anti-semitism is alive and well, anyway.

As soon as you make a comment against Jews you get labled and that is always the defence. Simplicity at its best.
Magpie 24 Libra

AT least I have more than one jacket

Location: YIHAA! Welcome to redneck land. All typing furiously!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:57 pm

Proud Pies wrote:

I always find it funny, how in many films/sitcoms some of the people are Jewish (Will and Grace comes to mind) but they always celebrate Christmas.

Festivus for the rest of us.

Nutmeg Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:52 pm

Interesting Dave that you take such a tunnel-vision right vs wrong view on this issue.
As for blaming the Palestinians for starting this, you might want to be careful about spouting this kind of naive declaration.
Let's not forget that Israel has only been a state since the end of WW2.
No side in this conflict is blameless - that is what makes the whole thing so hard to solve. Neither side is prepared to give and inch, and with Israel being backed by the US, they are in a much more positive situation both as regards fire-power AND diplomatic support. (and we all know how US foreign diplomacy works!).
As for claiming suicide bombers target civilians while the Israeli armed forces 'mostly target terrorist leaders' is a depressing reflection of your level of sophistication in approaching this issue. You claim that Israel have 'no reason' to target civilians - you do realise that they drove bulldozers into Gaza and proceeded to knock down Palestinian houses while the civilians fled.

I am not Pro/anti-palestine or pro/anti-Israel - the whole situation is a complete mess. How do we fix it? Buggered if I know.........

David Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:26 pm

Culprit, I may have over-reacted, but statements like "70% of the US government are Jewish" is the sort of thing that is stated by anti-semitic Islamicists and Nazis (I had the misfortune of coming across a Nazi site recently, and this was just the sort of claim they used to back up many of their arguments).

Nutmeg, I never said that either side was blameless... you will notice that I made it quite clear in my earlier posts that both sides have committed offences, but that this does not mean they are equally guilty. You use the example of homes being bulldozed. Obviously that sucks. I wouldn't want my home bulldozed. But why did it happen? Wasn't it to build that wall, to protect Israel's citizens from suicide bombers? That's what I recall anyway.
Not for the first time, you claim a lack of sophistication on my part by citing my statement that 'the majority of Israeli military operations are directed at terrorist leaders'. Interesting. So, therefore, you are suggesting that the government targets Palestinian civilians. What exactly would the point of that be? Would it not serve their purposes more to attack the aggressors, rather than attack innocents and receive international condemnation? Anyway, how many Israeli government officials have been taken out by suicide bombers? None. It is always civilians.
Also, you have misunderstood me somewhat. I didn't say that the Palestinians started the whole conflict. There were many different factors involved, which were largely based on the creation of the state of Israel. There are many different views on this, but I believe that the Jews deserved their own state, in their own homeland. The Muslim nations surrounding the new Israeli state obviously didn't think so, and over a period of 30 or so years did their best to destroy Israel. So, you're right, the Palestinians didn't start it as such. However, in the last couple of decades, Israel has often sought peace, while the Palestinians continually respond with violence, after which Israel responds with violence, and the cycle continues until there is a short period of peace for a few months, until there is another suicide bombing. The Palestinians did not start the conflict, but it is they who make the first strike many times these days.

And Nutmeg, I do not take a tunnel vision of anything really, so that accusation is misplaced. I often try to seek the facts behind everything, and I consider the act of trying to understand the opposition's viewpoint one of the methods of doing this. I acknowledge that I may not be aware of all the facts on the issue, which is why I requested Culprit to provide sources to back up his claims, which I found rather puzzling.

Last edited by David on Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:30 pm

Say no to the example of homes being bulldozed. Indeed it does suck.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:01 pm

Were there terroist leaders hiding in the power station, David ? I know I asked you about this before but you didn't reply.

Using your sentence, "What exactly would the point of that be?" (bombing it)

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
David Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:39 am

Admittedly I haven't been watching the news in recent times so I haven't heard that story. Do you have a link to it Donny? I can't really comment until I know some of the background, so I'll throw it back to you.. why do you think they did it?
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:52 am

I quoted the news story in my first post about it.

Here's another report: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060628/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians_262

"Israeli warplanes fired at least nine missiles at Gaza's only power station, cutting electricity to 65 percent of the Gaza Strip, engineers at the station said. The station's three functioning turbines and a gasoline reservoir were engulfed in flames, raising the specter of a humanitarian crisis in Gaza, where water pumps are powered by electricity."

The result of this action has left hospitals and hundreds of thousands of civilians without power and water.

David, I can see you have genuine concern but to comment about such a complicated situation ("the majority of Israeli military operations are directed at terrorist leaders") without at least reading the news reports seems unwise.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:56 am

That remark was either too complex or too simple for me. We were talking about Palestinians did not start the conflict but it. The ALICE chat robot can follow many things, like our discussion about Here's another report httpnews. But I did not get that.
David Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:04 pm

As I suspected Donny, there was more to the story than just what it seemed on face value. All the same, I agree, it was pretty unnecessary on Israel's part, and the excuse given (that it was done "to impair the ability of the terrorists to transfer the kidnapped soldier") seems quite weak. All the same, it is another example of retaliation after a pretty much unprovoked attack by militants (see below)*. I'm not saying it's right, indeed in this case it clearly wasn't, but it backs up my point that the Palestinians always seem to make the first move.

*I gathered from the article that the militants took the Israeli soldier captive because Israel have had 10,000 militants imprisoned... well I believe Israel has a moral right on behalf of its citizens to not release them.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:40 am

Culprit, I may have over-reacted, but statements like "70% of the US government are Jewish" is the sort of thing that is stated by anti-semitic Islamicists and Nazis (I had the misfortune of coming across a Nazi site recently, and this was just the sort of claim they used to back up many of their arguments).

Nutmeg, I never said that either side was blameless... you will notice that I made it quite clear in my earlier posts that both sides have committed offences, but that this does not mean they are equally guilty. You use the example of homes being bulldozed. Obviously that sucks. I wouldn't want my home bulldozed. But why did it happen? Wasn't it to build that wall, to protect Israel's citizens from suicide bombers? That's what I recall anyway.
Not for the first time, you claim a lack of sophistication on my part by citing my statement that 'the majority of Israeli military operations are directed at terrorist leaders'. Interesting. So, therefore, you are suggesting that the government targets Palestinian civilians. What exactly would the point of that be? Would it not serve their purposes more to attack the aggressors, rather than attack innocents and receive international condemnation? Anyway, how many Israeli government officials have been taken out by suicide bombers? None. It is always civilians.
Also, you have misunderstood me somewhat. I didn't say that the Palestinians started the whole conflict. There were many different factors involved, which were largely based on the creation of the state of Israel. There are many different views on this, but I believe that the Jews deserved their own state, in their own homeland. The Muslim nations surrounding the new Israeli state obviously didn't think so, and over a period of 30 or so years did their best to destroy Israel. So, you're right, the Palestinians didn't start it as such. However, in the last couple of decades, Israel has often sought peace, while the Palestinians continually respond with violence, after which Israel responds with violence, and the cycle continues until there is a short period of peace for a few months, until there is another suicide bombing. The Palestinians did not start the conflict, but it is they who make the first strike many times these days.

And Nutmeg, I do not take a tunnel vision of anything really, so that accusation is misplaced. I often try to seek the facts behind everything, and I consider the act of trying to understand the opposition's viewpoint one of the methods of doing this. I acknowledge that I may not be aware of all the facts on the issue, which is why I requested Culprit to provide sources to back up his claims, which I found rather puzzling.

Soon as you go the Anti Semitic line there is no point in discussing it. Plenty of Web Sites out their showing who is who in the US Government. Jew Watch is a big one but you will just go that they are anti Jewish. The US Government who preaches Truth Justice and the American way are on record for years sitting on their hands when Israel retaliates or attacks. The world condemns suicide bombers and saying it is unfair. I feel when you have no real weapons like tanks and planes it’s a matter of last choice. The North Vietnamese Army used these tactics and they were never called terrorists they were called soldiers. If Israel go a full on ground offensive they know they will lose despite their military power. Occupation has failed for centuries on end and for the world as one to move forward needs to seek peace. This won’t happen as people on both sides don’t want it too. A divided Arab middle east keeps the balance in Israel’s favour. A united Arab Middle East would force Israel to launch its nuclear weapons as their backs would be to the wall. I am not anti Jewish; I am more upset that a people who were persecuted by the Nazi’s are doing exactly the same things to the Palestinians. You would think they would be more tolerant. The Palestinians are in a worse position now while those morons from Hamas are in power. And the rhetoric that Israel says their offensive is to get the soldier back is a joke. They are using that as an excuse to roll in to try to have the Hamas Government over thrown. Hurt the people to get rid of the Government. This is an old tactic that has been used many times in world history.

We disgaree and our position on this issue are totally different.
David Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:49 pm

Culprit I have a few major disagreements with this.
A) this Jew Watch website may not be openly anti-semitic, but I do wonder what its motives are... conspiracy theories are OK, and some of them even turn out to be true, but I think this website is over the top.
This is the caption supplied with a picture on the front page:
Quote:
Palestinian Youths Abused on the Spot by Jew Thugs; Outlandish Yiddish hate slithers into Gaza

This is not exactly what you would call an objective site.

B) I am rather offended by this statement:
Culprit wrote:
I am more upset that a people who were persecuted by the Nazi’s are doing exactly the same things to the Palestinians.
Culprit, do you know what the Nazis actually did to the Jews? Granted, you may argue that Israel has treated the Palestinians badly (a point I contest), but to even compare it to the holocaust is ridiculous. Call me back when Israel starts rounding up millions of Palestinians and killing them systematically. Maybe Israel can't afford to be tolerant, because of the nations around it that want another holocaust (eg Iran)

As you concluded, I think we do have to agree to disagree, so I'll leave it at this.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:25 pm

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread and would like to say that it is refreshing to have a thread in VPT not deteriorate into a punch on. Well argued gents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: