Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 10 Williamstown v Geelong

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Magpie Since 1986 wrote:
Johnson#26 wrote:

Not a bad sign to have him dominating a class AFL full forward.

Yeh the bad news is that Kingsley is not an AFL class full forward - he looked bloody awful today. Bloody Cats fans had a sook everytime a Williamstown fan bagged their precious Kent but he was really pathetic, just didn't look interested and didn't get into the game. No chance of him being recalled by Geelong any time soon.

Not that I mean to take anything away from Anthony, cause from what I saw today he is going to be an awesome player in the future, I like the way he plays but Kent is a joke.

So you don't think Anthony is ready yet? Haven't seen him, is he another skinny kid at this stage? Mature-sounding name, hope he is/will be as solid as the erstwhile leader of the country party (without the gut obviously).
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:28 am

Oops repeat post
rand corp 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:32 am

Agree Vinnie, Harry, Rhyce and Davies must all be close to being recalled
WKB 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:30 pm

bokka wrote:
So you don't think Anthony is ready yet? Haven't seen him, is he another skinny kid at this stage? Mature-sounding name, hope he is/will be as solid as the erstwhile leader of the country party (without the gut obviously).

If there is one thing this kid isn't that is skinny. Check out the pics that are put up every week, or go to his profile on the Collingwood website

http://collingwoodfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=players&spg=playerprofile&personid=358846

size certainly isn't an issue, he is a ready-made AFL player in that regard.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:48 pm

WKB wrote:
bokka wrote:

If there is one thing this kid isn't that is skinny. Check out the pics that are put up every week, or go to his profile on the Collingwood website

http://collingwoodfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=players&spg=playerprofile&personid=358846

OK do you reckon he will get a game this year though?
Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:05 pm

bokka wrote:
WKB wrote:
bokka wrote:

OK do you reckon he will get a game this year though?

Well he would be going for the spot of Presti, Clement or Wakes, one of those key defenders. So unless we have injuries to key defenders we don't need to play him. He would probably go ok at AFL level, he is a solid kid but obviously he is nowhere near a Clement, Presti or Wakes yet, so best he matures at Williamstown this year barring an emergency.
WKB 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:32 pm

Quote:
Ok do you reckon he will get a game this year though?

Personally I don't see why not. Now I know he played on Kingsley on the weekend and has the potential to be that big key position backman, at the the moment he really wouldn't be taking the spot of a wakes or presti.

He is definitely more in the clement mould in terms of size, can play tall and small which is a certain advantage. Can be an attacking half-back and I certainly think he has the run (i'm still not sure if he is quick or just has the ability to know when to run) to play up on a wing.

There is of course the want to have a settled team and not to have to play too many kids to early, but if he had to play i'd say he would be much more than capable
the pain 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:15 pm

do you reckon he could play on goodes?
WKB 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:32 pm

the pain wrote:

Bloody hell, it would be a tad unfair first up match if he came in this week and they gave him Goodes. But could he stand him, I'd say yes.

Anthony has a good knack of getting to a contest at the right time, and isn't afraid to run. The only issue there is Goodes isn't afraid to move around either so if he plays off him to many time he could lose him in the mix and be exploited, but if he played him close I wouldn't have any real issues. But a first-gamer on a brownlow medallist would be a great show of faith but very, very tough. Upon saying that I think Goodes is a tad overrated for my liking and I'm still disgusted that Buckley has had to share a brownlow medal with him (Ricciuto I wasn't so worried about as he has been a good player over a lot of years, not only hasn't Goodes been that but he certainly wasn't as 'best' or 'fairest' as Buckley in 2003)
JAJH Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:34 pm

As much as I would love to see him play, I don't think he's ready yet. If he does a Pendlebury and gets in the best 4-5 weeks running, then he might be a show. I remember watching 2 practice games early in the year where he was matched against Tarrant and got 5 goals kicked on him in 2 quarters, yet the following week he was on Taz again but only managed 2 goals for the full 3 quarters. John's capable, but I believe at this point in his development he has to put together the intensity at the highest level every week, not just once in a while.

Quote:
the pain wrote:

Sure, he can play on him, the real question is can he play him at 100% for the time he is on the ground? You have to consider one important factor about these kids, they no doubt have ability and enthusiasm, but having the game smarts and AFL fitness to last a whole game is another matter altogether.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:24 pm

The other thing to consider is right now he is 3rd in line for a spot in our backline between Clokey and Harry, now no doubt Mick would likely go those 2 over a kid, remember Mick never really likes picking 1st yr KPP unless neccasary ala Trav last year

His going well but sometimes taking them away from the 2nds and promoting them can only hurt their development, i mean look at Trav, he really could have done with a year at Willy where he could be played around the ground in diff possies
WKB 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:57 pm

Quote:
they no doubt have ability and enthusiasm, but having the game smarts and AFL fitness to last a whole game is another matter altogether.

Don't sell your kid short, fitness I will give you because that is just a natural thing that you don't really have until you get to play. Game smarts, this is one thing I'm not at all worried about. Of course this is only my opinion which isn't much but i've said before he has a knack to not panic and to make the right decisions, it's something I mentioned to my family the first couple games he played, I said he had a bit of a shane morwood about him in that respect.

But I agree there is no real need to rush him at this stage, I think the Magpie hierachy would be cluey enough to register that he clearly has talent and as long as he keeps working hard they can nuture him at Williamstown to be a strong senior player in years to come.

But I will say if he continues in similar form to last week and there is a position in the seniors for him, I don't have any concerns that he could take that step.
JAJH Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:18 am

WKB wrote:

Don't sell your kid short, fitness I will give you because that is just a natural thing that you don't really have until you get to play. Game smarts, this is one thing I'm not at all worried about. Of course this is only my opinion which isn't much but i've said before he has a knack to not panic and to make the right decisions, it's something I mentioned to my family the first couple games he played, I said he had a bit of a shane morwood about him in that respect.

But I agree there is no real need to rush him at this stage, I think the Magpie hierachy would be cluey enough to register that he clearly has talent and as long as he keeps working hard they can nuture him at Williamstown to be a strong senior player in years to come.

But I will say if he continues in similar form to last week and there is a position in the seniors for him, I don't have any concerns that he could take that step.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Chris.
the pain 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:40 am

He sounds like a good player (I’m a fan fwiw), who doesn’t get lost up field (hence my goodes question). Hopefully he’ll continue to develop his game and body and be a real chance for first team action next year.

Another question though do you see him as Clement type player or more of a wakes chb type?
WKB 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:33 am

the pain wrote:
He sounds like a good player (I’m a fan fwiw), who doesn’t get lost up field (hence my goodes question). Hopefully he’ll continue to develop his game and body and be a real chance for first team action next year.

Another question though do you see him as Clement type player or more of a wakes chb type?

Personally at the moment I'd certainly put him in the Clement type. As I've mentioned he can play small and tall which is what clement can do. Wakes can play on a barry Hall or alistair lynch when he played, i'm not sure Anthony is big enough to mark those players where as wakes could.

But in the years to come I could see him marking a Fevola or someone of that size. But he is deceptively tall (or is it small) in that according to the official profile he is the taller of all three but he certainly look more like clement. Plus I guess it depends on the clubs plans for him, they might spend the next couple of pre-seasons really bulking him up to the 95 - 100kg mark so as that he will be that key position backman.

James Clement - Guernsey Number: 8

Height 190cm

Weight: 95kg

Shane Wakelin - Guernsey Number: 14

Height 191cm

Weight: 94kg

John Anthony - Guernsey Number: 31

Height 191.1 cm

Weight: 85.4 kg
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: