Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Racism, drink driving and speeding

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David from Canberra wrote:
as hard as that post was to understand, I think you made some good points there MK Wink
it has been said by some that racism is something that is learnt, I strongly contest that. I believe it is something that we are all born with, to some degree, finding it hard to accept people who aren't the same as we are (in attitudes, beliefs, actions and skin colours).
Do you have kids David? Have you seen them at childcare before they are taught that some people are different?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:36 pm

aceofstace I have 6 younger siblings so I do have a general idea of what young kids are like. I hardly think children need to be taught that some people are different to them, they notice soon enough. It's too long since you went to school aceofstace Confused
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:57 pm

aceofstace I have 6 younger siblings so I do have a general idea of what young kids are like. I hardly think children need to be taught that some people are different to them, they notice soon enough. It's too long since you went to school aceofstace Confused
Ahhh the old nature versus nurture debate, as a christian I can understand your position as you are invested in us being born of original sin... but that just sounds like an insurance scam to me, scare the potential client then offer the solution/absolution... gotta stick with nurture, never seen a young un refuse to play with a kid because of his skin colour
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:08 pm

aceofstace wrote:
Ahhh the old nature versus nurture debate, as a christian I can understand your position as you are invested in us being born of original sin... but that just sounds like an insurance scam to me, scare the potential client then offer the solution/absolution... gotta stick with nurture, never seen a young un refuse to play with a kid because of his skin colour

I'm not christian aceofstace, and I'm not sure why you think I am......

the nature vs nurture debate is an old one, and I actually agree, I think a lot of how someone thinks and behaves has to do with outside influences. That said there are certain basic instincts we are born with, and I believe that wariness of those unlike ourselves may be one of those. Still, I don't really know. It does annoy me though when some consider that children are perfect and somehow become corrupted later on. So I guess you could say I believe in an "original sin" to some extent, but is it a "sin"? or just how we are?

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:25 pm

We have wandered off the original topic into VPT territory (but its pleasing to see the debate has managed to stay away from personal abuse).

Lets just pop it over to VPT..
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:09 am

David, this statement, "I have 6 younger siblings so I do have a general idea of what young kids are like" simply means you have a general idea of what your 6 younger siblings are like, not what young kids are like at all.

Perhaps you should examine why or even explain to us why it annoys you "when some consider that children are perfect and somehow become corrupted later on"

That certainly intrigues me.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
2 PIES IN CAIRNS Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:56 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
but its pleasing to see the debate has managed to stay away from personal abuse.

Bloody amazing the effect one red card can have Wink

(Well, someone had to say it!!)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:32 am

MAGFAN8 wrote:
David, this statement, "I have 6 younger siblings so I do have a general idea of what young kids are like" simply means you have a general idea of what your 6 younger siblings are like, not what young kids are like at all.

true Donny, but surely it makes me as qualified as anybody, except for maybe a pre-school teacher or child psychologist or someone of that ilk.

MAGFAN8 wrote:
Perhaps you should examine why or even explain to us why it annoys you "when some consider that children are perfect and somehow become corrupted later on"

Because I think a) it is a fallacy, and b) it is an idealistic concept that denies what people are really like. Forgive for saying it, but it just seems a really ignorant thing to assume that that is the case. All my opinion though, which isn't worth much in the long run.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:33 am

2 PIES IN CAIRNS wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
but its pleasing to see the debate has managed to stay away from personal abuse.

Bloody amazing the effect one red card can have Wink

(Well, someone had to say it!!)

Might I add, however, in many cases it did take two to tango Razz

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:36 am

aceofstace wrote:
Christianity Muslim whatever, just another excuse to bilk the ignorant or inflame them to war under the most ridiculous of all premises... that god wants them to

Very true

God promotes love not war and a simple as that statement sounds it's true, religion is not the cause of wars.......people are!!

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:41 am

What a shame such a beautiful topic is hidden away in VPT Wink

Last edited by joffa corfe on Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:44 am

MAGFAN8 wrote:

Kids toddlers are naturally tolerant its our role and responsibility as parants to keep them that way.....simple really.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:39 am

joffa corfe wrote:
God promotes love not war and a simple as that statement sounds it's true, religion is not the cause of wars.......people are!!
Not completely true Joffa. From a Christian, Judaic and Muslim standpoint, war is very much part of all three religions.
Magpie 24 Libra

AT least I have more than one jacket

Location: YIHAA! Welcome to redneck land. All typing furiously!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:28 am

Some people have polemic tendencies while others avoid them.
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:39 am

Polemic is the art or practice of inciting disputation or causing controversy, for example in religious, philosophical, or political matters. As such a polemic text on a topic is written specifically to dispute or refute a topic that is widely viewed to be a "sacred cow" or beyond reproach, in an effort to "stir up trouble".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: