Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Racism, drink driving and speeding

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love these two quotes.......

Racism is a refuge for the ignorant. It seeks to divide and to destroy. It is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out.
Pierre Berton

You don't fight racism with racism, the best way to fight racism is with solidarity.
Bobby Seale
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:12 pm

There are only two races

Humanity

and the one Collingwood run out of onto the ground

sq3 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:14 pm

Similarly there are two types of people in this world -
1. Collingwood supporters,
2. People that wish they were Collingwood supporters.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:15 pm

Two things I hate are Muslims and Racists. Razz
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:59 pm

Miz wrote:
David from Canberra wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:
Racist people are sad and generally are just low lifes.

I agree Joffa, I think it's bred from stupidity and ignorance, not to mention a desire to feel superior to others. The kind of people who go around and attack Muslim women and girls (verbally or physically) are just idiots. I don't know what they think they're trying to achieve.

Thats confusing the issue a little, suggesting that Muslims are a race is somewhat naive.

does it really matter though? Whether it be religion, or race, is it not the same thing? A dislike of someone purely because they are different to you.

3rd degree wrote:
I@n S wrote:
Saying Leon will go walk about etc soon.

I'll admit I giggled a bit when I read that Razz

you're very predictable arent you david! no wonder little johnny's your mate. Mad

no, it just means I've got a childish sense of humour Razz
See my avatar for example....

Miz 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:54 pm

Miz wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:
Racist people are sad and generally are just low lifes.

I agree Joffa, I think it's bred from stupidity and ignorance, not to mention a desire to feel superior to others. The kind of people who go around and attack Muslim women and girls (verbally or physically) are just idiots. I don't know what they think they're trying to achieve.

Thats confusing the issue a little, suggesting that Muslims are a race is somewhat naive.

does it really matter though? Whether it be religion, or race, is it not the same thing? A dislike of someone purely because they are different to you.

Absolutely.

Race is something you are born into, part of your identity and should be respected.

Religion on the other hand is a choice and there a lot of religious strains which seem to be breeding grounds for nutters.
Robbo.D.yobbo 

The Toovinator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:01 pm
Post subject: Re: Racism, drink driving and speedingReply with quote

I@n S wrote:

I call people who enjoy being racist. drink driving and speeding yobbos
gee thanx Confused
Robbo.D.yobbo 

The Toovinator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:02 pm

Culprit wrote:
Two things I hate are Muslims and Racists. Razz
ive hereed that joke b4
BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:10 pm

Racism, drink driving and speeding.

I couldn't imagine anything worse than a drunk racist doing 100kmhr in a 50 zone!

wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:13 pm

Tess wrote:

OK then where does sexuality fit into the scheme of things?
It doesn't, it's not a race and it's not a religion (even though I have tried to turn it into one)
KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:28 pm

Miz wrote:
Race is something you are born into, part of your identity and should be respected.

Religion on the other hand is a choice and there a lot of religious strains which seem to be breeding grounds for nutters.

That view is coloured by the cultural bias of secular westernism. Religion is for many an intrinsic part of one's identity, something they are born into and something which should be respected. It is true that people can "choose" to not follow a religion, but people don't make that choice for complex cultural reasons, mostly because religion is not regarded as a lifestyle choice. In Western Europe, for historical and cultural reasons, race, religion, culture, nationality and citizenship are regarded as discrete characteristics. That is not an absolute truth although liberalism lays claim to it being so. Elsewhere in the world, race, culture, religion are related concepts.

Many conflicts which are regarded as "religious" are actually sociopolitical struggles for independence, which are interpreted as having a religious dimension. Middle-east conflicts are the best example. Religion is a justification of, not an explanation for, conflict in that region.

Targetting someone because of their religion is not racism, true. However, targetting muslims has a strong racial motivation behind it because of the inability of many Australians to distinguish between being a muslim and being an Arab. Case in point, most Australians probably believe muslims of Afghan, Iranian or Turkish extraction are Arabs. Fact is, they are very very different. I can't believe how many people think for example they speak Arabic in Afghanistan, when in fact, they speak an indo-European language, more closely related to English, than, for example, Modern Hebrew is.

Similarly, some ignoramii are surprised to learn a great deal of Egyptians or Lebanese or Syrians are actually Christians despite the fact they speak Arabic.

When the average islamophobe pictures a muslim he pictures a Saudi with a checkered headscarf or some Arab burning an effigy in the Gaza Strip. It is in this sense that islamophobia is a form of racism. More broadly it has been argued that modern fears relating to Islam go back deep in history and are rooted in racial angst against the Orient. This theme is explored in great depth in the book "Orientalism"

*rant over*

wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:30 pm

Christianity Muslim whatever, just another excuse to bilk the ignorant or inflame them to war under the most ridiculous of all premises... that god wants them to
MK 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:46 pm

Heavy subject.....I was brought up in the 50's...a lot of red necks around then I can tell you...and I reckon I was a racist because of it..you all know the lines...over here getting our jobs...our women...dago's..wogs etc. etc.. and on occassions I am probably still racist to a degree now...racist in the sense of not liking the actions of...not liking the result of....things not happening the way that I would like because of...in the COOL of the moment you reflect...what a F....K Wit...
A lot of people seem to be 'Holier than thou' as well.....they despise Racism on one hand..and are exponants of the most racist verbal taunts that you can imagine on the other......
I ended up marrying a [snip]..and have chosen to F...Off so called friends that have used detrimental words against that gender & foreign background...

At the end of the day we are probably all racist to a degree & I can hear the replies...".Bullshit...Not Me.!..."
Any retort about a person who happens to be an Aussie, Iti', Lebo , Greek etc etc...is construed as racist...The subject is as sensitive as you want to make it..we all shit the same way..and we all put our heads on a pillow....

As long as we all follow the Pies...

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:38 pm

as hard as that post was to understand, I think you made some good points there MK Wink
it has been said by some that racism is something that is learnt, I strongly contest that. I believe it is something that we are all born with, to some degree, finding it hard to accept people who aren't the same as we are (in attitudes, beliefs, actions and skin colours).

Miz 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:10 pm

Kypreo,
there is no parallels between race and religion - anybody that thinks otherwise would have to believe that all Muslims are Arabs, all Christians are Italian, all Jews are Isreali and all Buddhists are Indian which is of course a long way from the truth.

You're right people should not be targetted because of their religion but that is a completely different subject, the bottom line here is that religion should never be mentioned in the same sentence, or thread (in this case!) as racism as they are not one and the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: