Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Farenheit 9/11

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David from Canberra wrote:
All American Presidents have to pick a denomination. I mean, how serious of a christian was Clinton? The fact that Nixon was a 'quaker' doesn't mean anything, and more than likely he wasn't christian. Why are we even arguing about this though anyway Razz
aceofstace, Jesus wasn't a Christian, he was an observant Jew.

That's if Jesus existed, as far as I am concerned it's fiction portrayed by people dressed as clowns.
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:17 pm

Culprit wrote:

That's if Jesus existed, as far as I am concerned it's fiction portrayed by people dressed as clowns.

He is exceedingly difficult to find outside of the bible, and the romans were meticulous record keepers, at best he may have been a composite of several charismatic leaders over time. Certainly Paul who was responsible for christianity as it became never met him and basically promoted him to the romans by weaving a pagan myth around him

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:12 pm

I had an argument with a Priest I know. We were discussing if there was an after life. In deep discussion I said to him. It's simple; if I am wrong I will know. If you are wrong you will never know. He looked at me and could not say anything. When we talk now he does not mention Religion to me, we simply discuss football as he knows it is my Religion.

The Bible just like the Koran could have been written by someone as a novel. They could have won some literary award back then. There will never be a way of knowing if these writings are fact or fiction. Personally there are too many flaws in both writings to be real. Hence I go back to my discussion with the Priest.

Just as there are many flaws in those stories there are many flaws in the fiction Dubya, Blair & Howard preach to us.
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:36 pm

Culprit wrote:
The Bible just like the Koran could have been written by someone as a novel. They could have won some literary award back then. There will never be a way of knowing if these writings are fact or fiction. Personally there are too many flaws in both writings to be real. Hence I go back to my discussion with the Priest.

66 books by 40 different authors over a 1500 year period and they all still are in agreement. That is what the bible is made up of. The bible is in fact not a single book but a compilation of books on a common subject.

wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:52 pm

nuxta wrote:
Culprit wrote:

66 books by 40 different authors over a 1500 year period and they all still are in agreement. That is what the bible is made up of. The bible is in fact not a single book but a compilation of books on a common subject.
With 5 of the most important books left out, very interesting that gospels by apostles like Philip and Thomas were deemed innapropriate, did they say something different, you bet
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:40 am

aceofstace wrote:
With 5 of the most important books left out, very interesting that gospels by apostles like Philip and Thomas were deemed innapropriate, did they say something different, you bet

They were left out because they were deemed spurious at best and their authurship was very dubious.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:46 am

When was this exactly?
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:26 am

nuxta wrote:
aceofstace wrote:

They were left out because they were deemed spurious at best and their authurship was very dubious.

How would that make them different from the ones that passed muster?

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:21 am

aceofstace wrote:

if you have evidence to the contrary fess up.

wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:26 am

nuxta wrote:
aceofstace wrote:

The church commisioned its scholarly priests at the end of the 19th century to investigate the bible with the new German method of cross referencing to give scientific validity to the gospels for the new industrial age... the result?... a mass exodus of priests from the church as their faith was crushed by the incontrovertible evidence that the bible was not valid, what chance did a book have that contains over 6000 changes from the Greeks when they translated it from Hebrew? Add to that the many pagan myths of a god/man born of a virgin on december 25th that dies and resurrects on the 3rd day around Easter that were entrenched thousands of years before Christ was born and you are left in no doubt that Paul (who was called the father of lies by James, the head of the Jerusalem church and brother of Jesus) weaved a pagan myth around a historical person he never met except in a vision on the road to Damascus to sell it to the Romans, then by a quirk of fate the mad murderous roman emperor Constantine decided to use Christianity to unite the people under one religion and lined up the bishops at the point of a sword and insisted on the deification of Jesus (which many christian sects did not support, they saw him as a wise man, not the son of god) and so began the "business enterprise" we call Christianity which was best described by Pope Leo X when he said "this myth of Jesus has served us well"

Last edited by wasteofspace on Tue May 16, 2006 7:33 am; edited 2 times in total
wasteofspace 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:29 am

When speaking of any religion it is better to stand on faith and leave science to the scientists, then at least you have the home ground advantage
HAL 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:33 am

Sorry aceofstace I don't do math.
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:36 am

aceofstace wrote:
nuxta wrote:
aceofstace wrote:

The church commisioned its scholarly priests at the end of the 19th century to investigate the bible with the new German method of cross referencing to give scientific validity to the gospels for the new industrial age... the result?... a mass exodus of priests from the church as their faith was crushed by the incontrovertible evidence that the bible was not valid, what chance did a book have that contains over 6000 changes from the Greeks when they translated it from Hebrew? Add to that the many pagan myths of a god/man born of a virgin on december 25th that dies and resurrects on the 3rd day around Easter that were entrenched thousands of years before Christ was born and you are left in no doubt that Paul (who was called the father of lies by James, the head of the Jerusalem church and brother of Jesus) weaved a pagan myth around a historical person he never met except in a vision on the road to Damascus to sell it to the Romans, then by a quirk of fate the mad murderous roman emperor Constantine decided to use Christianity to unite the people under one religion and lined up the bishops at the point of a sword and insisted on the deification of Jesus (which many christian sects did not support, they saw him as a wise man, not the son of god) and so began the "business enterprise" we call Christianity which was best described by Pope Leo X when he said "this myth of Jesus has served us well"

Give us some evidence not just some cut and paste tripe without any sources.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:37 am

aceofstace wrote:
When speaking of any religion it is better to stand on faith and leave science to the scientists, then at least you have the home ground advantage

What the hell are you talking about?

HAL 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:39 am

That's just your personal opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13   

Jump to: