Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL sham-This could be us soon

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 9:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!!
Someone from Richmond floated what evry supporter has been saying for as long as I can remember - priority to those that go and watch the games. Rocket science!
And the AFL genius' said "hey that isn't a bad idea, why didn't we think of that?"

I just hope they do it now!
too late is better than never at all I guess.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 9:24 am

Does he read nicks bulletin board?

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

daicos4ever 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 9:54 am

thats what i thought as well joffa

daicos4ever

2002 - The Year of the Pie
GeorgeQ 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 6:57 am

Attendance at games disadvantages interstate supports like me who are committed to Collingwood, both emotionally and financially. It cost me around $2,000 this year to attend three games in Melbourne, this includes social club memberships for both me and my son. Using your simple formula of games attended we would not be able to get in, is that reasonable? Being a social club member means that you are eligible for a GF ticket, if that was taken away Collingwood may loose interstate social club members. Having said this I would stay a member regardless of GF tickets, however it is the only remaining value for being a social club member living interstate. I agree that many people at the GF will not deserve to be there, I have heard comments such as "the ball bounces funny" at a GF before and understand that the AFL gives many tickets to corporates who do not have a right to be at the game. Using the games attended model would also exclude people like Mike who's committment to Collingwood is obvious.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 7:39 am

George Q is right. Same goes for rural and possibly disabled supporters. The basic idea is sound and has been suggested for years. It is also VERY simple to impliment.

The club allocates tickets to supporter groups pro rata to numbers and offers them, with time limit, by application. Applicants in each group get tickets on a priority based on attendance unless they are "disadvantaged" by physical or locational factors. These can be dealt with on a first come first served basis or ballot if neccessary. Inevitabily some will miss out but such is life. Those who miss out can be minimised by ensuring tickets go to members and not inapropriate hangers on or travel agents (ever wonder why you can buy a flight, accomodation and GF package from intersate so easily?).

The only real requirement is a decent data base containing membership profiles. If the clubs don't have this already then they are already poorly run because a business of that size with out a customer data base is kidding itself that it has any idea of how to run a modern successful operation.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 10:36 am

Lets face it there is not enough tickets to go around. Its a mad free for all. Any system that is in place will attract criticism.

The Grand Final is the culmination of a years football. And just who has a right to be there is open to debate. Lets debate on some of the areas tickets go to and see if we can redirect them.

1. The AFL reserves tickets to go to Gold Pass members, the people they want to cosy up to (ie. corporate clients) and people they want to reward. I hear they have cut back BOTH on the number of people they are rewarding and the people who are eligible for Gold Passes in recent years. Should this be cut back even more, should the people who work for the AFL be rewarded with a ticket? What about the people they are trying to suck up to (like current and potential major sponsors)? Can we cut back on these?

BUT everytime some old codger, who has been involved in footy for longer than most people have been alive, loses his hitherto annual free ticket to the Grannie, the press get on board, kick up a stink, and the AFL cops heaps.

Similar logic applies to the people they reward for their current contribution to footy. Footy relies on the paid and unpaid work and contribultions of a lot of people and organisations. If the AFL does not reward the people who work the hardest, and contribute the most towards footy with a place at the culmination of the year, what sort of retention would they have, if they were seen to be ingrates. Especially as "they used to give us tickets".

... more categories later perhaps ...

Greg J

[This message has been edited by Greg J (edited 27 September 2001).]
daicos4ever 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:32 am

kick out the corporates and other team supporters. Why is the FA Cup final so good? Because it is one team's supporters versus the other, creating an electric atmosphere. If only the GF could be like that......

daicos4ever

2002 - The Year of the Pie
Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2001 7:02 am

The system stinks...

reward those who turn up and support and cheer their club first, allocate a section of tickets to the disadvantaged supporter, then divide the remaining tickets up for whatever other purposes.

--> Essendon, Collingwood (and Hawthorn???) are the vic clubs with the highest membership approx 30,000-35,000. Adelaide may have similar numbers prepared to travel to the G for the final... either way: 30,000 + 30,000 = approx 60,000. then the rest (approx 35,000) to go to whoever the afl sees the need to give tickets to. Realistically why should other clubs, sponsors, etc have access to tickets before the people that really care - the true supporters... its just the complete wrong way of thinking. Money Rules unfortunately - people say it always will, but should it??? There are other ways of attracting the almighty dollar. We need to break from traditional ways of thinking.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: